PDA

View Full Version : Drawer face material question????

Mark Rios
03-30-2006, 4:52 PM
I've got nine oak drawer faces to make. I'm not sure what construction type to call them but they are separate from the drawer box. 6 of the faces are 6 1/2" tall and three are 7", 8", and 9". All are between 12" and 18" wide. If I have wide enough material to make the drawer faces in one piece, should I? Or should I make a rip cut and glue to help prevent warpage?

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Frank Pellow
03-30-2006, 5:15 PM
I've got nine oak drawer faces to make. I'm not sure what construction type to call them but they are separate from the drawer box. 6 of the faces are 6 1/2" tall and three are 7", 8", and 9". All are between 12" and 18" wide. If I have wide enough material to make the drawer faces in one piece, should I? Or should I make a rip cut and glue to help prevent warpage?

Thanks very much for your help and advice.
They are called "false drawer fronts".

It the oak is of good quality and reaonably thick (say 3/4 inch or more), I would attermpt to make the fronts from one piece. Nine inches is getting boarderline for me, but I would still attempt it.

Jim Becker
03-30-2006, 6:09 PM
No way would I rip those boards, Mark, especially for a false front application as they will be held "flat" by the two screws you use to install them to your drawer boxes.

Steve Clardy
03-30-2006, 6:17 PM
I use full width wherever possible.
6-7-" fronts get two attaching screws from the inside of box, plus the hardware screws.
8-9-10" and up get four attaching screws

Mark Rios
03-30-2006, 6:58 PM
Sounds unanimous, full width it is. Thanks very much.

Frank Pellow
03-31-2006, 5:26 PM
I hope that it will work out OK for you. Please let us know.

By the way Mark, you might want to look at the article http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29405 before you attach to false dorr fronts to the drawers.

Mark Rios
03-31-2006, 5:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder about your thread Frank. I will use it for sure. I will post pics when I get the cabs installed (if I can get them done. This rain here in N. Ca is really cramping my style in my outdoor shop:D )

Thanks again to all.

Dick Bringhurst
03-31-2006, 5:54 PM
Mark, a little item mentioned in Franks great wright up is the need to get the right length bolts for the handles if you use the ones that require them. Dick B.