PDA

View Full Version : Meat for a sandwich

Bill Eshelman
03-30-2006, 2:27 PM
I am trying to make meat for sandwiches.

What I mean is, I am trying to make splines for mitered frames.
I make the kerf cuts and then I need to make the spline fit the kerf.
I want to do this quite often so I am trying to buy the proper tools to do it well and efficiently.
So far I have a 14" band saw to cut the stock close.
I am open for suggestions at this point, but I saw David Marks using a drum sander to finish his splines.
I saw The big Grizz has a "baby drum sander" for $425
Anyone here own one?

Thanks

Vaughn McMillan
03-30-2006, 2:45 PM
Hi Bill, and welcome to the Creek. I'm sure others will chime in with other approaches, but I cut both the splines and the kerf they go into on the table saw. If the splines are cut accurately, I just need to touch them up by hand with a few swipes of sandpaper.

I have a thin-kerf blade, and I know it's 3/32" wide. To cut the 3/32" thick material for the miter keys, I set up my TS fence so that the 3/32" piece is on the "waste" side of the cut. If I need more than one "slice" of thin material, I move the fence toward the blade 6/32" (the width of the blade, plus the width of the piece I want to end up with) and cut another one. I have an Incra TS fence setup on my TS, so it's very easy for me to move the fence in 1/32" increments. I can make spline material 1/32" thick on up using this method.

Of course, don't let my method dissuade you from buying the little drum sander. ;) That seems like it'd also be a good way to do it. In fact, after re-reading your post, it looks like you might not have a TS, so my method would be moot.

- Vaughn

Mike Wenzloff
03-30-2006, 3:09 PM
Welcome Bill,

Like Vaughn, I mostly do this with a table saw. There are times though that I'm actually crazy enough to cut the groove by hand. As well, I also at times use the BS to cut the spline stock.

And here's the justification part. If I use the BS to cut the splines, I pass them through my drum sander a pass or two in order to clean them up...

Take care, Mike

Bill Eshelman
03-30-2006, 3:27 PM
I have a nother question.

Would a planer do the job?

I was wondering if the dewalt 735 planer would be a good way to mill stuff for splines.

I would rather own a planer than a drum sander because then I can do alot more "sizing"

Anyone???

Jim Becker
03-30-2006, 4:17 PM
Bill, the issue with milling material for splines intended for boxes in the planer is that the planers all have a minimum thickness. Some say you can go to 1/8", but I'd be very reluctant based on "nastiness" I've seen once you get below 1/4" thick. The drum sander can get "really thin" material through safely.

Oh...and welcome to the 'Creek!

Vaughn McMillan
03-30-2006, 4:39 PM
Bill, to elaborate on what Jim mentioned about planers, I've tried planing thin stuff in my little Delta planer (using a sled, to overcome the depth limitation), and after the material gets much thinner than 1/4", things get pretty dicey. I recently detonated a bit of 1/8" bloodwood trying this. Maybe a better planer would provide better results, but that's been my recent experience.

That said, the DW735 planer would be a nice addition to a shop.

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
03-30-2006, 6:28 PM
I've done 1/8 material on my 20" planer.
Just depends on the grain of the wood as whether it blows or not.
Knarly, grainy wood, it usually breaks up. Straight grain, usually comes out ok.

David Eisenhauer
03-30-2006, 6:46 PM
I use my TS with a vertical miter sled to cut the grooves in the boxes and also to cut the splines. You can vary the width of the splines for visual effect very easily by using a dado cutter to make the grooves. If you are contemplating a tool purchase. I'd think a planer would be handier at this time and I agree with Steve on the grain of the spline material being the critical point. Best of luck.

David

Alan Turner
03-30-2006, 7:35 PM
I do this sort of thing all the time. Just mill the spline stock on the TS, and then make up a small holder to put in a vise. It is a block of wood with a thin cross grain piece, thinner than the spline, glued across the board at the end. Get out a block plane, use the cross grain piece as a stop, and plane them to fit precisely. Very fast and accurate.

Bill Eshelman
04-03-2006, 9:28 AM
Thanks for all the help making this decision.
I went for the Dewalt 735 Planer and the 411 Sander
they had a deal where if you buy both you get $50.00 rebate,
and I bought it at Home depot so I get a $75.00 gift card for the
other special promo they are running.

bottom line...

Planer and sander for $425.00

btw, the planer is SWEEEEEEEEEEET

Thanks again guys.