PDA

View Full Version : Belated Bonker

Royce Meritt
03-30-2006, 2:10 PM
After seeing all of your bonkers (not to be confused with seeing that YOU ALL ARE BONKERS!) inspired me to make a fish bonker for one of my buddies.

The interesting thing is not the bonker itself but, rather, the wood from which the bonker is made. A while back I bought a large amount of wood from a furniture repair shop that was closing. There was a lot of nice oak and walnut and even a nice piece of Teak. Mixed in with all of this nice stuff was an assortment what I would call junk wood. Most of this made its way into my campfire wood box. One piece in particular was a rough, warped and twisted piece. It even had several old rusty staples and nails in it. Looked like it came from an old pallet or crate or something.

As I tossed this piece into the scrap box I noticed some interesting grain on one side. I said to myself, "You better not throw this one out just yet."

The other day I chucked it up on the lathe and here is what was waiting for me inside this otherwise awful looking piece of "firewood"...

A nice ZEBRAWOOD fish whacker!

PS- My buddy likes it a lot.

Barry Stratton
03-30-2006, 9:43 PM
I like it! Defintely functional. Feel free to send it to me and I'll test it out on a king salmon head!

Mark Cothren
03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Nice work there, Royce! Looks great!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Way to go Royce! Nice Bonker! I'm sure it'll serve your friend well!