PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Alan East
03-30-2006, 8:48 AM
Greetings all - short time lurker, first post.

I've been reading the discussions here for a month or so. It seems to be the place to be for exchanging ideas and learning from other.

I am trying to get back into wood working after years and finding a lot of changes from what dad had when i was growing up 45 years ago.

I've been cleaning my basement for some time to make room for a shop. Twenty years of debris! I've got an area 20' x 22' cleared - except the four 10" x 10" solid wood columns and a 4" CI drain pipe. Want to make a stand for my contractor saw and router then storage units etc. I figure that will take most of the summer. I do have a good workbench - my grandfather's. It's kinda broke in.

Anyway, I'd like to ask for advise on what type joints (biscuit, dado, ?) to use for the tool stands. Is one stronger than the other? I'm thinking MDF for additional weight and casters with levelers so they could be moved if needed.

Alan East - near Lafayette Indiana.

tod evans
03-30-2006, 8:53 AM
welcome allan! i`m not a fan of biscuits for much other than breakfast. if you`re using mdf dados, glue-n-gunnails work pretty well for me...02 tod

Jim Dunn
03-30-2006, 8:53 AM
Welcome Alan. Can't help on joint strength but on MDF I'd use dado's. I'd think the biscuits would shear off the MDF if any weight was applied. Just a thought.

lou sansone
03-30-2006, 8:55 AM
welcome to the creek.

I am not a big fan of MDF when used alone. with other solid wood parts, mdf works great as a panel. How about some combination of solid wood and mdf

lou

Jason Tuinstra
03-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Alan, good to have you around. Getting a shop setup is a great place to start. Have fun... and don't forget pics! BTW, go with dado's if you can.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Welcome to the Creek Alan! Good luck with the shop!

Von Bickley
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Alan,
Welcome to SMC... Good Luck with your shop.
As far as MDF is concerned, I personally don't use it....;) :D ;)

Julio Navarro
03-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Welcome. Post some pictures of your space and your granfathers bench, I am curious about that.

Cecil Arnold
03-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the creek, what Tod said.

Michael Gibbons
03-30-2006, 12:53 PM
First, welcome Alan. I would try plywood for any workstations or tool cabninets. What kind of stand for your saw are you refering to?

Mike

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-30-2006, 1:20 PM
Welcome Alan. You will find this a great place to hang out, learn and share.

Dados on the MDF. Personally, I would use plywood for the case work, unless you were going to cover the MDF surface. What ever you do, make sure you cover the edges of the MDF.

Good luck with the shop.

Mike

Alan East
03-30-2006, 1:40 PM
Most seem to think ply with dados best so will try working with that. I've a contractor saw (Bosch 4000) to put on a stand with a router to the side. Then add other tools as needed or when they become available. Eventually would like to make a cedar chest for my granddaughter and tool boxes for the grandsons - I think.
Will post pics when i can.

Thanks to all!

--Alan

Pete Harbin
03-30-2006, 2:25 PM
Welcome to the Creek Alan! Best of luck in putting your shop together.

Pete