PDA

View Full Version : It arrived

Nick Clayton
03-30-2006, 7:30 AM
My Delta 50-850 DC arrived Monday morning much to my delight. I have never used another DC, but like most first time users who were burdened with a shop-vac for a DC I have to admit that I'm impressed.

OK so now my gripes. The bottom of the motor mount brackets arrived bent. I don't know how this occurred since it was wrapped tightly in styrofaom and which was a pain to remove. Anywho, a couple whacks with a rubber mallet and it was cured... and some paint came off....... 35257

I reasoned with myself, 'I can deal with a little missing paint, after all I'm the one who made it go missing'. I get the motor ready to mount and sure enough the mounting holes don't quite line up for the two last bolts. So now I have to taco the support brace in the motor mount bracket to get the last two holes to line up

Other than those two pesky items the assembly went smooth as glass. The wires in the switch were actually numbered to follow the schematic so my fears in my previous post about rewiring for 230V drifted away.

Would I recommend it? I don't know. I haven't used it much nor have I used other DC's to compare it to. Is it better than a shop vac, you bet. Was it worth the 252.99 I paid for, I hope so......

Mark Pruitt
03-30-2006, 7:53 AM
First, I would most definitely contact Delta about this. They should replace the damaged parts.

Second, I can't tell definitively from the picture, but it looks like your unit has a 6" port with a Y-adapter and two 4" ports. If your plan is to place the DC in a central location and run ducting to all your equipment, I would pull the reducer/Y-adapter off the front and run a 6" (or is it 5"?) line as far as possible, and run smaller 4" lines off the main duct, to each machine. I did not do this, and I now regret it--but I'm kind of stuck with what I have unless I want to give away hundreds of dollars worth of 4" hose and start over (which ain't gonna happen). :( The reason for running a 6" line is volume. The more air that puppy moves, the better efficiency you will have. There are other guys here that have a lot more experience than I, and there are also a couple of good books on DC out there. One is Woodshop Dust Control by Sandor Nagyszalanczy.

Good luck setting up your new equipment.
Mark

Tyler Howell
03-30-2006, 8:09 AM
Congrats Nick,
Clean lungs and clear air from here on in:cool:

Josh Goldsmith
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I think you will like that DC. I have the same one! I recently took the wye off and found a 6" collar with a 4" restrictor on the inside. I am removing the restrictor and running 6" duct to my machines. I have heard from alot of people saying this DC is awesome because it is hot rodable. Good Luck and start sucking:D

Nick Clayton
03-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Josh,

What do you mean by "hot rodable"?

Josh Goldsmith
03-30-2006, 1:56 PM
Well Nick a while ago one of the magazine companies did a test on single stage DC's and lucky us our DC was rated the best for the 1 1/2hp class. What they did was run all 6" duct for the test. When you buy the 50-850 it comes with a 6x4x4 wye and on the inside of that is a 4" sheetmetal ring that is spot welded in. By removing that 4" ring you take full advantage of the cfm that is produces. Much more efficient. That is pretty much what i mean by "hot rodable". When you remove the cover you expose the impeller. Measure it. This model came with 3 different sizes of impellers. 11", 11 1/2", 12" impellers. Mine came with the 11 1/2. The amount of cfms depends on your impeller. I don't remember exact cfm per size but it was something like the 11" was 890(ish)cfm, 11 1/2" was 965(ish)cfm and the 12" was 1026(ish)cfm. Those numbers only could come from a 6" duct without that restrictor. The reason they put the restrictor is because they don't know how the DC is going to be used. Is someone going to be moving the DC around and having just a piece of flex hooked up to your tools then there is not enough restriction through the pipes to protect the motor. If you were to have permant DC ran through your shop that would help with the restriction. I hope i made sence. All this info i have read from other members doing searches and am just summarizing it for you. Talk to you later Josh

Nick Clayton
04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Well I've had a chance to use the DC a little more and can say that it is hands down better than a shop vac. I use it as it was intended as a roll around so I have not had any complaints with lack of power; though I was thinking of going to a 6" hose and using a 4" reducer at my tools. I have a small 12.5" Thickness planer and I couldn't believe what a pleasure it was to use when the DC was connected to it.

<O:p</O:pAny who when I purchased this Amazon was running a $75 dollar coupon and free shipping so I thought I was getting a steal at $253. When it arrived it had some damage as you can see in the pics and I finally got around to contacting Amazon this morning. I almost instantly got an e-mail with an offering of 20% ($60) return on the purchase or a replacement DC. I have a few bumps and dings myself and being the ever frugal Yankee opted for the 20%. So the total on the DC is now $193, not bad.

<O:p</O:pI would also like to add that I'm very impressed with the way Amazon corrected the problem. Way to go customer service.

Bruce Page
04-25-2006, 7:36 PM
Congrats Nick! I’ve been pleased with my 50-850. I use mine as a stand alone, hooking it up to one machine at a time. One suggestion, get some heavy felt bags for it, ASAP; you won’t believe the difference they make. I got my bags from Penn Industries.