PDA

View Full Version : Byrd spiral cutter heads on Grizzly jointer

Jeff Finazzo
03-30-2006, 1:14 AM
Im a little confused about what jointers will accept a Byrd cutter. I heard the new 8" jointer will not. is this true? Also, does anyone have experience with the Grizzly model spiral heads. I have decided to get both a new jointer and planer from Grizzly and was thinking I would get machines that I could later upgrade with the Byrd heads. For expanple the model G1021x 15 " planer comes with the spiral head cutter (Girzzly cutter head). Or I could get the G1021Z and upgrade to the Byrd head, I think.

Dick Parr
03-30-2006, 6:38 AM
The only thing I can help you with is the 1021, it is a great planner with the straight blades, a real workhorse. I can only imagine what it would do with the spiral cutters.:) If you are anything like me, get the spiral cutters when you order the tools, as it is cheaper in the long run and you will never get to the upgrade anyways :o Until you have all the tools you need or want, which I have found there is no end to the tools you want.

Whenever I have the money to upgrade a tool, I always need another tool that I use the money on :rolleyes: So upgrade never get done.

Good Luck :D

Rob Nolan
03-30-2006, 8:53 AM
I think the Grizzly "spiral" cutter head has the cutters mounted "straight" where as the Byrd cutters are mounted at an angle "Helical". It is said that the angle mounted cutters are much better ... much less tearout, quieter, ect. I do not speak from experiance ... it's just what i've read ... I'd go with the Byrd cutterhead if possible. I have the G0490 with the straight knives ... the only current option.

Jeff Finazzo
03-30-2006, 9:07 AM
So Rob, Do you think it is likely that the Byrd cutter head will eventually be made to fit the G0490.? Especially since it seems to be so popular. Also, how do you like the jointer.

Thanks in advance

Rob Nolan
03-30-2006, 9:20 AM
Jeff,

I would be very surprised if Byrd didn't make one for the G0490. I'm sure they will if they don't yet. Call them and ask about your furture equipment. I have only had the jointer for 6 days now and I havn't had time to put it to the test ... this weekend I'll give it a workout! It arrived with no issues ... I had to make some slight adjustments ... oh and did I mention it's heavy!

Brad Townsend
03-30-2006, 9:32 AM
Jeff,

I would be very surprised if Byrd didn't make one for the G0490. I'm sure they will if they don't yet. Call them and ask about your furture equipment. I have only had the jointer for 6 days now and I havn't had time to put it to the test ... this weekend I'll give it a workout! It arrived with no issues ... I had to make some slight adjustments ... oh and did I mention it's heavy! Sorry to inject a note of gloom here, but considering Byrd's backorder status for the heads they currently make, one could assume they would not be expanding their product line anytime soon. I base this on no direct knowledge of any kind - just logic. Sincerely hope I am wrong.

John Russell
03-30-2006, 9:38 AM
Last year I bought the G0586 jointer and a Byrd cutter from Sunhill that came with the right bearings so it could just directly replace the stock head. That combination has worked fine, although I was reasonably happy with the stock head cut. But, with figured wood, the helical head has helped.