PDA

View Full Version : Turning a platter?

Paul Downes
03-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I could use a little wisdom from the esteemed board. I have a 3/4 x 12"dia birdseye maple board that my father-in-law wants turned into a platter. I've seen a method of glueing the board to a waste block with a piece of paper in between. Does anyone know the particulars of this method? I believe the paper provides a parting plane. What glue and paper would you gents or gals recommend?

Don Baer
03-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Paul,
I've heard of this method but I don't know any turners using it. If it were me I'd use hot melt glue. The method is discribed by Bill Grumbine ine this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33762

Dick Parr
03-30-2006, 6:25 AM
I use thick CA glue to attach my glue blocks right to the wood and when done turn and sand as much away as you can and form the foot, then use a chisel to remove the remaining little nub when you get it off the lathe and then sand the foot.

My 2 cents

John Hart
03-30-2006, 6:59 AM
I do the same as Dick Parr...but I use epoxy. :)

Jeff Horton
03-30-2006, 8:29 AM
Only done it a couple of times but I used carpenters glue and regular copier paper. Just plain while stuff. Parted nice and easy and didn't tear the wood. Kind of messy to clean but I expected that.

Fred LeBail
03-30-2006, 8:48 AM
I have also used this method for Split turnings. I use carpenter's glue and Newspaper.

Bill Grumbine
03-30-2006, 8:51 AM
Hi Paul

You can use just about anything you want to glue the block to the work, with or without paper. All the suggestions made so far are entirely aceptable, even the reference to hot melt glue! :rolleyes:

I am a strong advocate of turning tenons to be held in a chuck, but in the case of platters, I will switch and use a recess. You only need a tiny amount of recess to hold a platter, and then you can expand it to create the rim on which the piece sets. While the rule of bowls is generally 1:3 for the ratio of bottom to top, with plates it is better to follow a 1:2 ratio. It will sit a lot better with less chance of rocking.

Good luck with it, and with a piece of wood like you describe, you might want to practice on some lesser stock first. DAMHIKT

Bill

Bob Matern
03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I use paper in a glue block frequently on platters, especially if I want the back of the platter to be flat.

Any good PVA glue should work. I personally use Weldbond but I'm sure one of the Titebonds would work equally well. Since I'm rarely in a hurry, I let it set up overnight

The only time I've come close to losing one off the lathe is when I used paper that was too thin. Now I use only good heavy kraft or brown wrapping paper, like heavy duty grocery store bags.

Take it off the lathe with a couple of good sharp knocks with a hammer on a chisel held at the paper joint. I then use a random orbit sander with 60 grit paper to get rid of the remaining glue and paper.

Paul Downes
03-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input. I knew I could trust the sage minds present on this austere forum. Maybe I'll even post a first picture on the forum provided I don't create a wooden projectile. Got to always wear the face shield. I'ts quite an experiance to have one ricochet off the face saver. Almost make a guy fill his pants.:D