PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Lathe Today Plus DC

Ray Dockrey
08-15-2003, 12:20 PM
I asked last week for opinions on what lathe to get and made the comment that I was leaning towards the HF lathe. I got some good advice and I really appreciate the advice and help. I have decided, due to Jim Becker's comments on another forum, to get the Delta 46-715 instead of the HF. I am going this afternnon to pick it up. I am also getting the Delta 50-850 Dust Collector. I have a small shop (one and a half of a two car garage) and all my major tools all sit together and I think this DC will suit me well. I did buy the HF HSS turning set for 29.99. I figure if I ruin one due to a mishap or a sharpening gone wrong, I won't have to much invested in them. I got to get a grinder and I want to get a chuck, but the chuck may have to wait. Thanks for all the help and be prepared for lots of questions. I also am planning to join the local woodturners club. Thanks again to all who responded. Oh, I am on vacation next week, so you can guess where I will be.

Jim Becker
08-15-2003, 3:33 PM
Congrats on joining the addiction, Ray! You'll enjoy turning a lot. BTW, The low-speed grinder deal from Woodcraft is about the best thing going for under a hundred bucks as it already includes the white AO wheels.

Be sure and check out your local AAW chapter (http://www.woodturner.org) , if there is one. It's a great way to get local mentoring, see some incredible demos and work and always have help available when you need it.