PDA

View Full Version : need a corded drill

D Randall
03-29-2006, 9:49 PM
suggestions? I'll need a hammer drill in the future, so two birds for one is not a bad thing, but need it for wood right now. 1/2 collet and VSR are musts. suggestions please.

Marion Rood
03-29-2006, 10:01 PM
my vote, bosch.

Tyler Howell
03-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter:cool: :cool:
Going on 31 years of faithful service

Gary Herrmann
03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I've got a Bosch 1/2" hammer drill. Great drill.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm with Tyler this time. I have a Milwaukee Hole shooter.....use it at work and at home..........won't be replacing it.....somebody will inherit it.

Jeff Horton
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I third the Bosch. I bought mine for a hammer drill project and haven't used it that much since. I am impressed with it and think it will last a long time. I have a couple of other Boschs tools I like and I am not very brand loyal.

Thomas Walker
03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
I've had a corded Dewalt 1/2" hammer drill for about 5 years that has worked fine with no problems.

Also comes in handy when mixing batches of mud.

Vaughn McMillan
03-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I third the Bosch. I bought mine for a hammer drill project and haven't used it that much since. I am impressed with it and think it will last a long time. I have a couple of other Boschs tools I like and I am not very brand loyal.
I fourth. Same story...bought the Bosch for a single project, and the few times I've used it since then it's been impressive.

- Vaughn

Michael Ballent
03-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Fifth on the Bosch... I was looking for something that would spin 2000+ rpm and take a 1/2 bit. I have not be been disappointed :D Although it does get a little heavy after a few pocket holes, but that is why they have that little handle attachment ;)

Stephen Dixon
03-30-2006, 1:12 AM
If you want the best corded drill money can buy, get the Milwaukee Hole Shooter, If you want a good decent hammerdrill and intend to use it as a corded drill as required get the Bosch.

Steve

Mike Cutler
03-30-2006, 5:32 AM

"Nuff said.;)

We use Milwaukee's, almost exclusively at work, and let me tell ya'. You will never abuse one, that you bought, at home, like these guys do at work. Another reason to go Milwuakee, parts. Every part that goes into your drill is replacable, and a lot of the parts are common so it is easy to get them from a Milwaukee parts/service center.
The Milwaukee has more weight to it than the Bosch, and is balanced better than the Dewalt, imho. 90% of the time this makes little difference, but when you have to get into an odd position, that extra weight and balance are very much appreciated.

Milwaukee 1/2" magnum Hole shoter, Hammer drill, or Rotary Hammer. All good choices.

Frank Pellow
03-30-2006, 7:07 AM
I have a cordless drill (a Festool TDK 12), but I find myself using my corded drill more than the cordless one. The corded drill that I recomend is the DeWalt Hammer Drill (DW505). It's about the fifth corded drill (3 of them hammer) that I have owned (including one Bosch) and definately the best one.

tod evans
03-30-2006, 7:15 AM
my vote goes to milwaukee for a drill and bosch for the hammerdrill.....02 tod

John Lohmann
03-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Hitachi D13VG for drill, it's not 100 years ld, but 240 lbs laying on it. can't stop it. Like everyone else Bosch for hammerdrill, that's what my company loaned me.

Tom Jones III
03-30-2006, 11:30 AM
I bought the Dewalt b/c it was the cheapest among the better ones in the selection I had. It is a very powerful drill. It is simple and it works.

Hank Knight
03-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I went to a "tent sale" at my local power tool dealer to buy a hammer drill and talked to the Bosch rep. He steered me away from a hammer drill to a rotary hammer (different technology). He said a hammer drill is a much lighter duty tool than a rotary hammer - which is probably fine for occasional use. I decided to go for the muscle, so I bought a Bosch 3/4" Bulldog rotary hammer and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The 3/4" one is the smallest rotary hammer Bosch makes and it sells for about $170. I think I paid about $145 at the tent sale several years ago.

My shop is in my basement and it has poured concrete walls. I've drilled literally hundreds of holes in the walls and in the brick walls of my home with the Bosch rotary hammer, and it cuts through the concrete and brick like butter. The drill has three modes: hammer drill, hammer only and drill only. I bought a 1/2" chuck attachment for it, and it's a fine 1/2" drill. I had a Skill heavy duty 1/2" drill that I gave away after I used the Bosch a couple of times. It's a hoss.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I have three Milwaukee drills.
1.) 1/2" right angle
2.) 1/2" hammer
3.) 3/8 hole shooter
They are all over 20 years old and I beat the hell outta them

The 3/8" hole shooter is a sturdy tool. I used as a framing construction and dry wall screw-driver. I built my garage and deck with that drill using 3 and 4 inch screws instead of nails. Don't laugh, I have this thing about screws being better than nails. I do the same thing for interior work as I am convinced that it's easier on the adjacent building components than pounding with a 20oz hammer.

Having done major renovations to homes in three states I just know that someday a wrecking crew is going to hang me in effigy.

Barry O'Mahony
03-30-2006, 1:54 PM
I built my garage and deck with that drill using 3 and 4 inch screws instead of nails.Hmmm, building inspectors wouldn't approve that around here. Screws tend to be more brittle than nails, with little shear strength, and are not building code approved, unless they are specfically certified and listed for framing applications.

Joe Chritz
03-30-2006, 5:55 PM
I used to repair milwaukee tools for a factory service center. Very little can go wrong that is not easily fixed and they are tough. The ones we worked on were used in the construction and often demolition trade. Now those demo guys can beat a tool.

That said I use Dewalt cordless, a 3/8 dewalt corded for pocket holes and a huge dewalt 5/8 D-handle for big stuff and drywall mud, morter etc.

If you only occasionally need a hammer then a hammer drill is nice although a bit heavier. A rotary hammer is a beast of a tool that will punch holes in conrete all day long.

Any of the major brands should give you great service.

Joe

Steve Clardy
03-30-2006, 6:23 PM
30 some years on my 1/2 milwaukee.
My 3/8 milwaukee bit the dust after 28 years. They said the warranty was out.
Bought a dewalt corded. BIG mistake.
Bought a PC to fill the gap.
Should have bought another milwaukee.

James Suzda
03-30-2006, 8:02 PM
I've got you by a few years on my Milwaukee Hole Shooter. It has to be over 42 years old! The only thing I replaced on it was the cord.
It is one tough machine that will break your wrist if you jam the bit!
Jim