PDA

View Full Version : Snakewood Inlay Pocketwatch

John Hart
03-29-2006, 7:11 PM
Ok...today, I took the day off to do some car maintenance....which took a couple hours so that left me with the rest of the day to try this inlay thing on a pocketwatch. Pretty interesting process. This is a Bloodwood case with Snakewood inlay on the front and back, with a snakewood knobby thing on top. The watch is a Gold Roman Dial Seiko. It is finished in Behlens Woodturner Finish...I just hand buffed it a little. That's it for pocketwatches for a while. Gotta do some goblets!!:)

Paul Douglass
03-29-2006, 8:08 PM
What can be said besides Beautiful, John. You couldn't be talked into a picture tutorial on doing one of these could you? What size are these watches?

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2006, 8:10 PM
Wow John. That is awesome. That is some great work.

John Miliunas
03-29-2006, 8:12 PM
Hey, that's mighty slick, John!!! I saw the other one briefly (before I got called off to another "emergency") and didn't get a chance to comment on it. This one is even cooler than the first!!! :D Well done and, I agree with Don; How about a mini-tutorial on these bad boys??? :) :cool:

Bob Noles
03-29-2006, 8:18 PM
John,

Just no end to your creativity! What a super job and great idea.

Bob.......as he walks away from the computer just shaking his head :) :) :)

Corey Hallagan
03-29-2006, 8:39 PM
That is sweet John, I love that. Great project idea!

Corey

John Hart
03-29-2006, 9:00 PM
Thanks guys!
Hmmm...A picture tutorial. That would mean that I'd have to do another one. Ok...I'll do it Saturday or Sunday. Course...really, I just paid close attention to that guy on the Woodworking Channel. I don't know what his name is....someone famous...doesn't speak real fluent but boy can he turn!!. Maybe they'll air it again.

Curt Fuller
03-29-2006, 9:09 PM
Those are fantastic John!

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 9:11 PM
Another great one John. Love the attention to the details:) :)

Robert Mickley
03-29-2006, 9:13 PM
WOW, that is awsome John :)

Ernie Nyvall
03-29-2006, 9:44 PM
Looks like delicate work John. Very nice.

Ernie

Barry Stratton
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Really nice John. Are the clocks friction fit so you can take them out to change batteries?

John Timberlake
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I told you that if you could stand, you could turn. Great job on both watches. Please give the steps in making the watch with inlay. Might want to do one of those someday.

John Hart
03-30-2006, 6:31 AM
Really nice John. Are the clocks friction fit so you can take them out to change batteries?

Barry, The clocks come with a rubber grommet sort of thing so it's a nice secure fit. If you don't recess the clock, you just pull it out using your fingernail...but in this case, you can't get a fingernail under the bezel so I use a little suction cup to pull it out for changing the time and the batteries.

Thanks again y'all!

Dick Parr
03-30-2006, 6:39 AM
Very nice John, looks great:)

Jim Dunn
03-30-2006, 8:20 AM
John just beautiful. And the watch is pretty nice too.

Mike Ramsey
03-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Very nice indeed Mr. Hart! Been looking at the kits for those
but haven't bit yet, looks like I might just try one or two
of those.

John Hart
03-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Very nice indeed Mr. Hart! Been looking at the kits for those
but haven't bit yet, looks like I might just try one or two
of those.

I've seen some of the kits...but they didn't really get my blood flowing. This was especially cool cuz you can use all the scraps you have laying around....but I would like to get a gold chain and add a matching fob sometime.

Mike Ramsey
03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah the kits I looked at were not Seiko's!
Some off-brand imports. Where did you get find the clocks?

John Hart
03-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I get my clocks from Woodshed Gifts and Clocks on the evil auction site. I buy them in qtys of 10-25 to keep the price down. Back in my flatwork days, I made lots of little desk clocks. Still have a boat-load of these laying around.