PDA

View Full Version : CMT blades

Jake Helmboldt
03-29-2006, 3:50 PM
Anyone using the CMT blades? Woodcraft is carrying them and they are competitively priced and I have heard good things about their router bits. There don't seem to be any threads here regarding CMT.

thanks, Jake

Tim Armstrong
03-29-2006, 3:57 PM
Jake, I think that, like Freud, they make some great blades and some so-so blades. I've got a 12" for my miter saw that was pretty top of the line for them (north of $80 if I recall) and I like it so far - very nice blade. Seems that many of the creekers here like the Forrest WWII blades for the TS - I haven't had that pleasure yet. Don't know if that's helpful, just my thoughts.

scott spencer
03-29-2006, 5:19 PM
They seem to be well made, but so far I haven't been motivated to spend the extra for an unknown. The last time I considered a CMT blade and compared closely, I opted for the Freud equivalent for a few dollars less and wasn't disappointed. If I were willing to pay top dollar, I'd opt for a Forrest. The Ridge Carbide is just as impressive as the WWII IMO.

John Timberlake
03-29-2006, 5:38 PM
I once had a chance to rip thin strips with Forrest and CMT blades. Both looked like they had been run through a jointer after cutting. Both are good blades when sharp. Didn't use long enough to say how long they stay sharp.

Larry Norton
03-29-2006, 6:34 PM
I have 3 of the CMT blades and love them.

John Hedges
03-29-2006, 7:39 PM
I have a CMT 8" Dado set and LOVE it. I have never used any of their other blades but if the Dado set is any indications they should be real top shelf blades.

Andy Fox
03-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Both of my primary blades are CMT: a 24T ripping and an 80T ply/laminate/crosscut, both full kerf on a contractor's saw. They're both great. The 80T blade makes plywood edges look like they've been passed over the jointer.

John Lucas
03-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I concur with what Andy says. I use the 24 tooth rip and the 80T cabinet blade. Ialso have the 8.5" on CMS and I use the CMT dado set.

Jake Helmboldt
03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Well, at the recommendation of the guy at Woodcraft I bought the CMT 256 series 50-tooth combo blade. Did a comparison to the cheap ($29 Lowes special) Freud TK306 combo that I have been using for the past year.

On both cross cuts and rips the Freud, pitch and all, was visibly smoother. Major disappointment with CMT. Almost twice the money and the cut was not as good. Oddly, it felt and sounded smoother, but the cut quality is what matters. Though the CMT did not burn as easily in hard maple. I intend to take it back. The salesman also led me to believe it was a thick kerf blade when in fact it is thin kerf.

scott spencer
03-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, at the recommendation of the guy at Woodcraft I bought the CMT 256 series 50-tooth combo blade. Did a comparison to the cheap ($29 Lowes special) Freud TK306 combo that I have been using for the past year.

On both cross cuts and rips the Freud, pitch and all, was visibly smoother. Major disappointment with CMT. Almost twice the money and the cut was not as good. Oddly, it felt and sounded smoother, but the cut quality is what matters. Though the CMT did not burn as easily in hard maple. I intend to take it back. The salesman also led me to believe it was a thick kerf blade when in fact it is thin kerf. Bummer Jake. If you're looking for a TK combo, the Freud LU83 is their best 50T ATB/R blade, or the LU86 40T general purpose blade is very good too.

Jake Helmboldt
03-30-2006, 3:01 PM
Bummer Jake. If you're looking for a TK combo, the Freud LU83 is their best 50T ATB/R blade, or the LU86 40T general purpose blade is very good too.

Thanks Scott. I actually planned to get the Dewalt 7657 at Woodcraft since folks seem to like that blade, but the local store doesn't sell them. I had planned to get a thick kerf to see how it performed (64A contractor saw) and thought that was what I was getting w/ the CMT.

I may just go ahead and get two dedicated blades. I found last night doing the comparisons that swapping out doesn't take that long.

Jake

scott spencer
03-30-2006, 4:03 PM
Thanks Scott. I actually planned to get the Dewalt 7657 at Woodcraft since folks seem to like that blade, but the local store doesn't sell them. I had planned to get a thick kerf to see how it performed (64A contractor saw) and thought that was what I was getting w/ the CMT.

I may just go ahead and get two dedicated blades. I found last night doing the comparisons that swapping out doesn't take that long.

Jake If I read as fast as I typed I would have caught on that you wanted a full kerf! :rolleyes:

Brian Hale
03-30-2006, 5:05 PM

Jake

Another advantage to having a dedicated rip blade is they are a flat top grind on the teeth. This means they cut a flat bottom kerf and can be used for dado type cuts if your not into changing out to a stack dado head.

Brian :)

Tom Peterson
03-30-2006, 5:33 PM
I have not had a blade made by CMT, but I am terribly disappointed in the router bits. I have used them for triming plastic laminate (.028' thick)and they are just all chewed up. I am taking them back to Woodcraft