PDA

View Full Version : Lateral adjustment levers needed

Paul Erickson
03-29-2006, 1:31 PM
I need a couple of lateral adjustment levers for a couple of Stanley/Bailey planes. Anyone have any spare that they don't need?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Mike Henderson
03-29-2006, 3:04 PM
I didn't know you could remove them. I always thought they were put on with a rivet. Is that true? If so, how do you replace them? Do you grind or drill the old rivet out then find a replacement rivet and hammer it to a dome head?

Mike

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 4:05 PM
Drill the pin out, or grind one side off, then punch out.
You can then use a heavy wire, inserted and peened over for the rivet.
I can do some digging around for a lever. If I have a broken frog, which I think I have a couple, I can let the lever go.

Paul Erickson
03-29-2006, 6:18 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much.

cheers, Paul

Doug Shepard
03-29-2006, 6:31 PM
If you strike out here, you might want to give Highland Hardware a call. They're got a fair selection of plane parts. I looked on their site and they clearly have the lever labeled as a separate item (#14 in all the parts diagrams), but I sure don't see it listed separately on their site and don't see it as part of any of the repair kits either. I can't imagine it would be more than a couple of bucks if they still have them (and sell them separately).
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=547

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 6:49 PM
Paul. I struck out. Found a plane that I need a lever for. LOl

As above from Doug, they have parts, or from stanley.

http://www.stanleyworks.com/search.asp?q=lateral%20lever&spell=1&access=p&output=xml_no_dtd&site=stanleytools-com&ie=utf8&lr=&client=stanleytools-com&oe=UTF8&swkxslt=st

Or, rarebear [Johnny] on woodnet has parts also.
Steve

Ganthan Rhodes
03-29-2006, 7:42 PM
I have some spares. What size planes and how old are they?

Have you thought about getting the complete frog assembly? Might be easier and better.

Tyler Howell
03-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Careful tapping that rivet!! That frog is very brittle DAMHIKT:o

Paul Erickson
03-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I have some spares. What size planes and how old are they?

Have you thought about getting the complete frog assembly? Might be easier and better.

I need them for a 5-1/2 and an 8. They seem to be the standard 8.5cm long. I am looking for older versions and not the newer stamped version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Paul

Ganthan Rhodes
03-30-2006, 1:41 PM
Sorry, I only have loose new stamped ones. The others are attached to frogs, but not a 5-1/2 or an 8. I hope someone else can help you out.

Paul Erickson
03-30-2006, 9:39 PM
Sorry, I only have loose new stamped ones. The others are attached to frogs, but not a 5-1/2 or an 8. I hope someone else can help you out.

The frogs do not need to be 5-1/2 or 8, but any of the older style levers will work provided they are long enough. The standard length is about 8.5cm.

cheers, Paul

Ganthan Rhodes
03-31-2006, 1:38 PM
I think the laterals on the frogs would work OK, Paul. I'm just reluctant to cannibalize the frog assembly.

Paul Erickson
03-31-2006, 2:58 PM
I understand, thanks for the time, and effort.

cheers, Paul