PDA

View Full Version : Linux xp software?

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Anyone here running this software?
Is it ok, do you like it?
I really need to upgrade from my old win98 se.
Getting tired of the crashes. Just had another one and lost everything.:mad:

Chuck Wintle
03-29-2006, 1:03 PM
Anyone here running this software?
Is it ok, do you like it?
I really need to upgrade from my old win98 se.
Getting tired of the crashes. Just had another one and lost everything.:mad:
Not sure what you mean by "Linux xp software" If you mean only Linux then some distro's are really good like "Ubuntu"(free) and "Suse 10". Both have a learning curve unlike Windows XP. Linux is getting better and better and is a good alternative now to Microsoft products, IMHO.

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 1:13 PM
Not sure what you mean by "Linux xp software" If you mean only Linux then some distro's are really good like "Ubuntu"(free) and "Suse 10". Both have a learning curve unlike Windows XP. Linux is getting better and better and is a good alternative now to Microsoft products, IMHO.He may be talking about something like Lindows, which has all the Windows emulation add-ons preinstalled.

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 3:47 PM
Not sure what you mean by "Linux xp software" If you mean only Linux then some distro's are really good like "Ubuntu"(free) and "Suse 10". Both have a learning curve unlike Windows XP. Linux is getting better and better and is a good alternative now to Microsoft products, IMHO.

THis is the way its listed.

<CENTER><BIG><B><BIG>Linux XP 2006 - Brand new 2006 Edition!</BIG></BIG></B>
<B><BIG>Just like Windows XP at a fraction of the cost!</B>
</BIG>http://www.geocities.com/chris_bro/eBay/LinuxXP/pic1.jpg
</CENTER><BIG>Description: This auction is for the best and newest Linux operating system out there
</BIG>

Tim Armstrong
03-29-2006, 4:02 PM
Steve - Are you looking at a new PC or just changing the OS on the old machine? If keeping the old machine, what's under the hood?

Erin Raasch
03-29-2006, 4:14 PM
From DistroWatch.com:

Linux XP Professional Edition is a universal and secure operating system for Russian speakers designed for home and business use. It is based on freely available sources from Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core.

Link (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxxp)

You might want to reconsider. :o

(Unless you're fluent in Russian :D )

Erin

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 4:17 PM
Changing op system. Either this linux, which I just bought, or winxp pro.

Amd system, pentium 4, 512 memory

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 4:21 PM
From DistroWatch.com:

Linux XP Professional Edition is a universal and secure operating system for Russian speakers designed for home and business use. It is based on freely available sources from Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core.

Link (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxxp)

You might want to reconsider. :o

(Unless you're fluent in Russian :D )

Erin

:eek: :eek:
No speakie da russian here:eek:
Hmmm. Ebay seller didn't disclose that.:( :o
Well. It was only .99 plus shipping. Less than $10.00
I'll have to look the listing over again:o :o :o

Erin Raasch
03-29-2006, 4:26 PM

It might not be hopeless . . . apparently there is an English language setting, if you can struggle through the Russian to find it. Here's another linky (http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/4207) to check out. I'm thinking it might be kind of fun. 'Course, I've already got Linux installed to dual-boot with Win2K, so I might have kind of a warped sense of fun. :D

Erin

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 4:29 PM
Just did a search also. This is an english built version. FOR RUSSIANS!!! Man o' man.
Thanks for the links.
Maybe I better install it on my old standby first, to see what the heck I'm getting into.

Chuck Wintle
03-29-2006, 4:54 PM
Steve,
Go to the UBUNTU website and download their free linux OS. It is highly regarded and I have tried it myself as well. It works a lot like Windows.

Keith Outten
03-29-2006, 5:26 PM
SawMill Creek runs on a Linux server. Years ago I made the decision to use Linux exclusively for Hampton Roads Online, I sleep much better knowing that I don't have to rely on that other operating system for things that are important.

You need to understand that for some machines like Laser Engravers and CNC Routers there is rarely a Linux driver available so Windowz may be your only choice. Should the day come when enough people choose Linux as their operating system of choice the vendors will start providing software and drivers for their equipment and the world will be a better place.

My2cents

Jim Becker
03-29-2006, 9:38 PM
Ya nimnoga punimaya paRuski... :D

Steve Clardy
03-30-2006, 10:00 AM

:eek: :confused: :eek: :D

Matt Meiser
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Sound's like the Becker's are going to have to visit the Clardy's to help Steve install his new OS.

Jim Becker
03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jim Becker

:eek: :confused: :eek: :D

Translation: I understand a little Russian.

Real translation: "a little" is an understatement. ;) Dr. SWMBO knows a little more. My kids are relative experts, however, but with limited vocabulary when it comes to modern things like computers which they had no exposure to. That said, many Russians work on the computer in English or toggle between languages as there is a lot more content online in English.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Before swapping out my old Win 2000 for XP 64 bit I considered migrating to Linux. I talked to the Red Hat people who were really happy to sell me a subscription.
and I spent some time wiht some friends who use it a lot.

I decided that there aren't enough really good emulators to make me completely comfy. I'd have to purchase some expensive software and mayvbe have that tweaked at more cost, or just run two machines. Either way I would not have the much vaunted virus proof environment as even though no one is making bugs and worms for linux the bad things can still use a linux box as a carrier infecting those with whom I share data.

Linux systems can indeed be hacked too. You need firewalls and other stuff that folks like Red Hat will love to sell you.

I suggest that unlkess you want to learn to code things yourself you just run a better box.

Defrag you HD occasionally, get rid of old unused app's, don't try to run apps on XP if they aren't supposed to, and buy good hardware. Start with the MB I prefer ASUS and promise controller cards. Get the chipset and memory the board maker reccommends and you won't go wrong.

If you buy Dell or any brand name computer you are buying a thing that was designed by Purchasing Agents.

They buy whatever is cheap. The techs in the engineering dept get stuck with the task of making the parts work together. They often don't ever work together very well.

Steve Clardy
03-30-2006, 1:05 PM
Beings I've already bought the Linux, I have since run onto a new winxp pro at a good cost, I bought the Xp also.
So, due to this Russian thing, and some telling me there trouble brewing as I'm not russian:o and the interfacing problems, I will wait till my winxp gets here and install it on my main computer.
I still have a couple of old standbys in the shop I mess around with sometimes, so I will install the linux on one of them and see what its all about.
Thanks for all the info and help.
Becker, next time you show your mug in Springfield at Hatfields, whistle at me. I'm close

Dale Clark
05-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Steve,just wondering how the computer problems turned out?I have used linux exclusively for 3 years now and love it.You can set up your computer to dual-boot windows/linux if you need windows for cnc,design software,etc.Use linux for all your internet activity(forums,surfing,e-mail,etc).People are amazed when I show them how fast my dual-boot xp/linux750 mhz laptop boots/performs because I have never been on-line in xp and it is not jam-packed with spyware,viruses and adware.I think you should skip ubuntu and try PCLINUXOS.Ubuntu requires a lot of configuration to get multimedia working correctly and PCLINUXOS works pretty much as-is.You can download it for free if you have broadband,or I can burn a cd and send you.If you have any questions about linux just ask,I am defiantly not an expert,but have tried over 50 distros of linux and PCLINUXOS is the most user-friendly so you don't need to be an expert.;)

Allen Bookout
05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I have been using Linux for quite a few years now and I have found that Mandriva (Formerly Mandrake) has evolved into one of the best of the user friendly distributions. A piece of cake to install and use now. Can dual install with Windows if desired.

Steve Clardy
05-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Steve,just wondering how the computer problems turned out?I have used linux exclusively for 3 years now and love it.You can set up your computer to dual-boot windows/linux if you need windows for cnc,design software,etc.Use linux for all your internet activity(forums,surfing,e-mail,etc).People are amazed when I show them how fast my dual-boot xp/linux750 mhz laptop boots/performs because I have never been on-line in xp and it is not jam-packed with spyware,viruses and adware.I think you should skip ubuntu and try PCLINUXOS.Ubuntu requires a lot of configuration to get multimedia working correctly and PCLINUXOS works pretty much as-is.You can download it for free if you have broadband,or I can burn a cd and send you.If you have any questions about linux just ask,I am defiantly not an expert,but have tried over 50 distros of linux and PCLINUXOS is the most user-friendly so you don't need to be an expert.;)

Hi Dale. I haven't ever loaded it.
Right after I started this post, I ran across a good buy on win xp pro, which is what I wanted anyhoo.
Then, my old computer had some issues that win xp didn't like, so I ended up getting another shop built computer from a guy that built the computer I have in the house, which is excellent, runs win xp pro also.

So I'm sitting behind a new computer running winxp pro.
I have my old computer up and running, with winxp pro now.
Thinking about installing the linux on the old one, but due to not having enough play time lately, I haven't got that done either.
Thanks for the offer of helping out. I may get back with you if I ever load linux.:D
Steve

Dale Clark
05-11-2006, 8:29 AM
I have been using Linux for quite a few years now and I have found that Mandriva (Formerly Mandrake) has evolved into one of the best of the user friendly distributions. A piece of cake to install and use now. Can dual install with Windows if desired.Hi Allan,PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva,the developer is "Texstar"who made some of the cool rpms circa Mandrake 9.2.If you like Mandriva take a look at PCLinuxOS,it uses synaptic for package management( still with rpms not .debs),very easy to update and no "mandrake club" to join.Very good community (just like the creek) with Texstar himself answering many questions posted on their forums.It can be run as a live cd so you can take it for a test run if you want to try it out without installing it.I personally don't care for the current desktop theme/splashscreen because it looks like windows xp too much ,but the one from version 8.1 is one of the best-looking desktops around,and I'm sure you know how to change it in KDE.Try it,I think you will like it.

Allen Bookout
05-11-2006, 8:52 AM
Dale,

Thanks for the information! I was not aware of PCLinuxOS and will give it a shot. My silver membership in Mandriva Club just ran out and I have not renewed so this is great timeing.

Hopefully your information will help out some of the others thinking about getting away from Windows.

Thanks again! Allen