PDA

View Full Version : The [re]making of the Seaton saws

Mike Wenzloff
03-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I would put up a picture of one of the on-going projects that will be finished up tomorrow.

Below is one of two large tenon saws, made by John Kenyon, and as found in the Benjamin Seaton chest. The were made about 1793 or so.

And these are large: 19" blade length and about 5" at the toe, rising about 5/8" at the heel. Wood is English Beech as were the originals. 10 ppi rip. The brass back is 1" tall. These will be substantial saws.

We are remaking all of the 6 saws that were in the Seaton chest. Once finished, I'll post an update.

Take care, Mike

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/seaton/lg_tenon_0001b.jpg

Brett Baldwin
03-29-2006, 1:33 PM
That's a good rough-in for a big saw. Is it just the huge scale of the saw or is that grip going to be three fingers inside the handle? What would such a large tenon saw have been used for primarily?

Mike Wenzloff
03-29-2006, 1:48 PM
Hi Brett...typing this without use of my left thumb...just smashed it folding the brass on these closed.

The grip is 3 finger, which fit now just fine, but will of course fit better once the shaping is done. It is a large saw. I also need to cut the top of the steel at the necessary taper, so it will be shorter by 1/2" or so than the picture looks. It's just that the steel first needed the teeth cut in while there was enough steel if I messed it up I could recut and not waste the steel.

This size of tenon saw would be used for, well, large tenons. Thin trestle tables, bed rails and the like. At 19", a 5" or 6" rail or a bread board end would go much quicker.

Thank you for the kind words.

Take care, Mike

Steve Clardy
03-29-2006, 4:09 PM
Looking good!! Mike, you just keep turning em good looking saws out!!

[Steve, looking for a Sorby/ Wenzloff in the mail]

Bob Noles
03-29-2006, 4:21 PM
Mike,

As always, a great looking saw to further prove your excellent skills. You keep everyone drooling with envy. I look forward to seeing the entire set completed.

That is a pretty large saw and I'll bet it will cut like a hot knife thru butter when finished,knowing you :D

Hope all is going well for you out there. Say hi to Dina for me.

Michael Morin dit Boucher
03-29-2006, 8:18 PM
Mike,

Have you ever made a small dovetail saw like the one attached that has bevels of 45 degrees on both sides and would be used to make the female portion of a sliding dovetail?....any plans or tips on how to make...i am interested in doing this. thanks:confused:

Mike Wenzloff
03-29-2006, 8:27 PM
Hi Michael,

http://wenzloffandsons.com/saws/ad/ad_0011.jpg

I haven't made the style you show.

This is an 8" one, 12 ppi iirc. I am working on another, very large one, to be used with guide blocks. It has the beveled bottom as above, which is a 1:6 slope. 45 degrees is a bit much, perhaps.

I can make a pdf of the profile, if you would like. The biggest issue in making one is cutting the kerf for the blade as the front botton handle horn interferes with sawing. So the other style would be easier in that regard.

Let me know if you would like the pdf--I'd even draw out the style you show. It's quick and easy. Feel free to email me with the blade length you would like.

Take care, Mike