PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide my shop layout!!!!!!!!!

Josh Goldsmith
03-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Here is a really quick layout of my garage. My problem is the i don't have alot of walls available for my equipment and dust collection. The bottom of the pic is garage doors and the top is actually a walk way to the washer and dryer. Please give me your opinion cause i just can't decide where i want my tools. The dust collector and air compressor is on the other side of the wall on the left. Thanks Josh

Chris Dodge
03-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Can you use your workbench as an outfeed table for the tablesaw? I have a similar amount of space in my garage but I have more wall space to use. I have everything on wheels and just bring out the tool I need when I need it. Only the tablesaw and jointer stay in their locations all of the time. My workbench is also non-mobile.

Josh Goldsmith
03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
When i built my workbench i didn't even think about making it the same height as the table saw. I wish i would have. Oh well. The table saw, workbench, bandsaw are all on mobile bases. I was thinking about buying mobile bases for the jointer and planer but they are so heavy that i thought i shouldn't make them mobile. Thank Josh

Jim Young
03-29-2006, 1:04 PM
I would make the TS and workbench fixed position tools, the planer and jointer can easily be moved. This would also reduce the DC drops needed. Then you will also gain lots of floor space for assembly.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-29-2006, 2:22 PM
Door table saw and lumber rack all bear a commonality.
You want them positioned so they are convient to ewach other - and the door.

It might be well to have a finish area not too far from a door either.

I didn't see a door in your drawing.

Meanwhile, put the lumber rack on wheels unless it's mounted to the wall.

Mark Pruitt
03-29-2006, 2:54 PM
I see you have a pole in the center. Same as my garage. I wish the stupid thing wasn't there, but OTOH I kind of like the idea of not having two BRs and a bath collapse and flatten me. :rolleyes: So, I figure if it has to be there, why not make it useful? I ran one leg from my DC across the ceiling and down the pole, attaching it to my TS and planer, and ended the drop with a floor sweep. ;) You might consider doing likewise, running lines to the bandsaw, router table and TS. The pole is also good for mounting a bench grinder, should you decide to purchase one. As far as the layout itself, inasmuch as possible it should be based on work flow. Material comes in, it goes to the lumber rack. From there it is taken to the jointer for flattening, then the planer, then the table saw. I like what was mentioned about the workbench being used as an outfeed table, but as I recall the TS you have either includes that feature or has it available as an option.
Mark

Pete Harbin
03-29-2006, 3:29 PM
Boy, that column is sure conveniently located!:D

Maybe slide the table saw over and bring your workbench in behind it as an outfeed table. Any chance of using the column as a clamp rack? If it's going to be right in the middle, you might as well have something handy there!

Pete

Dave Falkenstein
03-29-2006, 3:30 PM
If I recall correctly, you live in the San Luis Obispo area, where weather is not often a factor. I like having my table saw in the garage door opening, facing out. I keep a clear distance of at least 8 feet from the blade for easy handling of materials. My outfeed table is against the garage door opening, so the door just clears it. I open the door when I am working, giving me added room to walk around the table saw. I prefer having the table saw on a mobile stand, even though I worked for several years without one. In the rare case that I need to cut something that will not fit into the area reserved for the table saw, I just move it. All of my large tools are now mobile, and I like it that way. I can move a tool to the proximity of the dust collector easily, and the duct collector is also mobile. Works for me.

Andy Fox
03-29-2006, 11:22 PM
It might work for you, but this layout would drive me nuts! :D

I need my workbench to be within a few steps of my table saw so that the bench is about 3'-4' back from the saw infeed side. My bench is about 1" lower than the saw, so it does give some infeed support, but I don't usually have to clear a path just to rip a few narrow boards.

I'd put the jointer feed parallel with the saw feed and backed up to the column. Maybe the planer could go parallel with the saw too?

Then, I'd put the bandsaw and router table over to the left somewhere against the wall. My router table is my saw outfeed table.

Mark Pruitt
03-30-2006, 8:12 AM
Pete,
What kind of clamp rack are you envisioning? Something wrapped around the pole that holds clamps vertically? Just curious...I'm trying to figure out my options for a new clamp rack.
Mark

John Hedges
03-30-2006, 9:07 AM
Josh, I also have a garage shop with a pole in the middle, so after looking at this for a few seconds a layout kinda screamed out to me. You did not say whether you were moving the cars in and out and then moving the tools into place when you did. So I am assuming that cars will not be in the garage, which is nice cause everything is set up and ready to use that way. Anyhow here is what I would do.

Move the table sawto the right of the pole in the picture, with the infeed side facing the garage door. This allows more room to the right and left of the saw while still providing plenty of infeed and outfeed area (also situate it so the pole is not even with the TS.
Move the Jointer and planer below the pole in the picture facing crosswise to allow for maximum infeed and outfeed areas.

With these two changes all the wood prep tools for dimensioning your stock are in a single little work area next to the lumber rack. This will save a lot of time. The only variation here is whether you face your TS to the back or front wall. As sometimes it is nicer to have it oriented to your Planer and Jointer during wood prep, and sometimes it is nicer to have it facing your workbench while you are fitting parts. My initial suggestion of having the saw face the back was is because I noticed your workbench was mobile, so I thought this could be moved as needed.

I would then move the workbench to where the TS is in your picture but have it face the back wall and the group the remaining tools to the left of it in the picture.

Of course the downside to this layout is that the TS is furthest from the DC but if the DC has enough power to support the network you should be fine as long as you run a trunk directly to the TS.

Dick Bringhurst
03-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Josh, my planer is on a mobile base. It causes no problem and is nice to be able to move that heavy thing easily. My jointer is also on a mobile base. If I am pushing hard on it while jointing, it will move if I don't have the wheels locked securely. Dick B.

Josh Goldsmith
03-30-2006, 11:33 AM
This shop layout thing is way more difficult than i originally thought!:confused: I think i found a layout that i like then i think how the dust will be efficient and realize that that layout wont work. AHHHHHHHHHHH. How efficient will a 6" duct about 20' with 4 long sweep 90*? I was thinking about putting the planer and the jointer near the center column so that is why i was wondering how the dust would be efficient that far away. Thanks Josh

Pete Harbin
03-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Mark,

Yeah, depending on the size of the column I was thinking Josh could attach racks on all four sides so that they're handy.

But now that Josh is talking dust collection, I wonder if a layout could be arranged that allows the duct work to come down that center column and out to several tools located close by. Maybe having the planer on one side and the table saw on the other?

Pete

tod evans
03-30-2006, 1:05 PM
josh, common sense says layout tools for function, figure 16` in and out of the saw and planer, less for a jointer ect. once you`ve figured out a functional layout run your ducting, tape the joints for the first few months to make sure all works as planned if it works well then bolt everything down and seal permanently. as long as you work in a shop you`ll continue to grow,add tools and change your work habits so don`t agonize over your initial layout...02 tod

Mark Pruitt
03-30-2006, 6:23 PM
Mark,

I wonder if a layout could be arranged that allows the duct work to come down that center column and out to several tools located close by. Maybe having the planer on one side and the table saw on the other?

Pete

Pete,
That's how I'm using the center pole in my shop, but the DC column that comes down at the pole only occupies one side of it. That leaves three sides open for an adaptation of your idea. I'll give that some thought as the weekend approaches!
Mark