PDA

View Full Version : Mission Computer Desk Completed **PICS**

Scott Vigder
03-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Here's my updated version of a mission style computer desk:

I've designed a way to lower the keyboard below the surface using a cutout from the table top. The cutout has three rabbeted edges. Two grooved holders are attached to the underside of the table top. The keyboard can be customized to two inches or one inch below the table top surface by slipping the insert into the respective dado'd grooves. The insert can be placed flush with the table top for a complete writing surface. When in the uppermost position, the rabbeted edge in the back fits into a dado in the table top for a rock-solid fit. It works better than when I worked out the design in my head! I was afraid the holders would sit too far down and interfere with legroom, but my scrawny legs clear them by a full 1 1/2 inch (I'm 6'1"). My other concern is how the cutout may change over time in relation to the overall table top. I finished the entire desk with two coats of BLO followed by a few topcoats of wipe-on poly.

The desk is built out of cherry with walnut spindles and a walnut veneer facing at the bottom of the computer bay.

I'm thinking of drafting the design to sell on the internet. Any thoughts?

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Design looks great: I really like that keyboard solution. Since the supports are sticking down beneath the surface anyway, you might want to consider adding a fixed tray behind the opening for use as a keyboard/mouse "garage" when the desktop is being used in its "flat" configuration.

One thing to think about for a computer desk (especially a commercial design) is cable management. As it stands now, you'll have monitor (and maybe printer) cables coming up over the back edge. I realize it hurts to cut holes in a tabletop like that, but installing a couple of cable grommets will help a lot when it actually gets used.

Jim Shaffer
03-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised you didn't match the cutout grain to the tabletop...

Jim Hinze
03-29-2006, 12:36 PM
I love it... very nice desk, great style!

Pete Harbin
03-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Nicely done Scott! Very sharp!

Pete

Brett Baldwin
03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
I like your low-tech solution to keyboard height adjustment. The overall design is a good one. I was also drawn to the discontinuity of the grain in your keyboard section. Aesthetically, it would have been better to work with the glued up section as one piece all the way across and just leave it long enough to be able to cut and mill the tongue and dados in to preserve continuity of the grain. Otherwise, a very nice piece.

Scott Vigder
03-29-2006, 3:59 PM
Keen observation regarding table top and cutout grain!! This being the prototype, I shorted my BF and had to use another board for the cutout. You can also see a seam just above the coutout that won't be there in the next edition. I love a tough crowd!

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 5:24 PM
Looks good, Scott. I like the adjustable insert idea a lot. When it comes time to make the version with the grain-matched insert, you can use a spline instead of a tongue on the edge of the insert, and you'll only lose the width of your saw kerf in the grain continuity.

- Vaughn

John Buzzurro
03-29-2006, 6:06 PM
Scott,

That's a really beautiful table, and I like the adjustable keyboard support. I agree with Lee's comment about cable management - I think it's worth considering.

Tom Bickley
03-29-2006, 6:29 PM
That is a really nice looking desk!!

I have a suggestion. Make two table top inserts, one with grain match and a second one. That way, the keyboard can be hidden beneath and you can have a full, clean desk in front of you. You can either remove the top insert to use the keyboard or slide the lower keyboard insert out and use it in front of the desk.

Just an idea. Love the desk.

Rick Doyle
03-29-2006, 6:39 PM
nice job - looks just great. i better not let my wife see that or i know what i'll be doing for the next few weeks(i've been trying to wean her off mission-style furniture for about 2 years now!).