PDA

View Full Version : Delta 31-695 6" Belt/9" Disc Sander

Mike Hill
03-29-2006, 7:56 AM
I just purchased a Delta 31-695 6" Belt/9" Disc Sander and wonder if anyone has reviewed this product in the past? I do not want to go over old ground and since I am new, thought it was worth asking.
Mike

Mike Hill
03-29-2006, 5:02 PM
OK, so maybe I did not ask this question correctly. Let me try again. Is anyone interested in my review of the Delta 31-695 Belt/9" Disc Sander.

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 5:07 PM
I'm sure you asked correctly, but it must have gotten missed as other threads came online. I'd like to see your thoughts and observations on the Delta sander. Review away!

- Vaughn

Roy Hatch
03-29-2006, 5:34 PM
Mike, I would be very interested in your evaluation of the sander. I have been considering one and have not decided what price range sander to invest in.
Roy

John Bailey
03-29-2006, 5:50 PM
Mike,

I too, would like to read a review.

John

Tim Armstrong
03-29-2006, 5:58 PM
Mike,

Please DON'T review this tool... because if you like it I might have to buy one.

And if I buy another tool this year LOML will have my you-know-what's! :D

Seriously, would be interested in your experience - please review away.

Cheers

Ron Jones near Indy
03-29-2006, 7:27 PM
Always ready for a tool review.

Mike Hill
03-30-2006, 9:07 AM
Let me start by saying that for the price (in the $270.00 range - 7%) this Disc/Belt sander is a good value. I purchased it at my local Woodcraft Store. The package was torn in several places by the banding, but the Sales Person and myself opened the package and determined nothing had been damaged. Delta gets unfavorable comments in many reviews about their packaging and this was no exception. Set up took about 2 1/2 hours. About half the time figuring out how the legs went together (my problem, not theirs) and the other half setting the tool up. Setup includes, leveling the belt, squaring the table to the fence, installing the disc and getting the belt to run in the middle of the tool. Painted surfaces are well done and the machining is acceptable. I used my Incra V27 Miter gauge in the 3/4" slot on the table and it has one spot where it catches. I tried the Incra on my router table and it runs smoothly in that track. Some filing of the Sander Table slot will be necessary to get the miter running smoothly. Really, the problem with the smoothness of the Table Track is the only "problem" I found and it should be an easy fix.

I would recommend this sander in it's price range. Noticed they are available on Amazon, but looks like it was discontinued by Woodcraft. I have some pictures of the tool, but need to find out how to load them on here. Please ask if you want any additional information.

Mike

Michael Merrill
06-12-2006, 4:30 PM
Mike, I see your review of the Delta 6/9 sander. Are you still happy with it after a few months? Thinking of adding it, Lowes has them with the stand at $210 now.

glenn bradley
06-12-2006, 4:36 PM
I would also be interested being one who bought too small and is looking to upgrade.

Mike Hill
06-12-2006, 4:40 PM
Mike, I see your review of the Delta 6/9 sander. Are you still happy with it after a few months? Thinking of adding it, Lowes has them with the stand at $210 now.

Michael: Yes I am still happy with the sander and at $210.00 you cannot go wrong. My only grip is that the thing makes a terrible noise when it kicks on, but does not affect it's performance. I think I have the table to close to the disk :) We moved about a month ago, so I have not used it extensively, but when I have needed it, it worked fine.
Mike

Michael Merrill
06-12-2006, 5:45 PM
Glenn if you bought smaller I'll assume you bought one in the 4/6 size? If that's the case what did you buy and how was it?

Grant Vanbokklen
08-30-2007, 1:18 AM
Delta 31-695 6" belt and 9" disc sander.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MWW1M7TCL._SS400_.jpg
price at Lowes $45.80 plus tax. SKU 201542 check it out

Steve Mellott
08-31-2007, 1:32 PM
Great deal at Lowe's. Unfortunately, I can't find any Lowe's in the Atlanta area that still has one.

Michael Justice
08-31-2007, 5:03 PM
Delta 31-695 6" belt and 9" disc sander. price at Lowes $45.80 plus tax. SKU 201542 check it out

I bought mine at Lowes for around $100 and thought it was a great deal. I wish that you could buy only the table mechanism and mount - I would buy a second and leave it on the belt. Not that it's a huge hassle to move, but it would be quicker.

Hmmm, at $45 that's just about the price of buying the service parts to make a second table. Hmmmm....

Steven Triggs
09-01-2007, 2:24 AM
Having found one of these on the Lowe's clerance deal, I have now gotten one. It came with an 80 grit belt and an 80 grit disc. The only inexpensive (relatively) way to buy belts and discs for this is to buy a 10-pack of belts and a 25 pack of discs. Since I'll be buying that many, I'm trying to decide on a good grit number to be the one grit I'll have available, at least for a while.

So, having never used one of these, or even any similar tool, I'm looking for advice on which grit to buy. What kinds of things am I likely to use this for? What would be a good "all-purpose" grit to run until I'm interested in buying other grits?