PDA

View Full Version : LOML Surgery

Larry Klaaren
03-29-2006, 7:42 AM
My wife had a surgery yesterday. A large growth was removed. It was anything but a keyhole incision. She lost some blood and had to have a transfusion toward the end of the procedure. They also discovered that her blood sugar was very high, after a twelve hour fast. She's an intensive care cardiology nurse, and has a healthy fear of diabetes and its effects. She was really groggy when I left her yesterday, but I had to go pick up the kids. I'll take them to see her this evening.

I've been on the computer too much lately, I guess it's kind of an escape, plus I've been off a lot - partly for her and partly for other reasons. I'm in a kind of different job transition which has been very stressful for all of us and will result in a move. That should all change for the better in the next few weeks, but I have to pass a huge exam on the 19th of April. I'll have to tone it down (computer time) quite a bit from now on.

Anyway, insurance, continuity of care, all those things are big issues right now. She'll be off work until June.

Keep us in your prayers, we have a lot on. I have memorized a lot of the New Testament, and Philippians 4:4-20 has some truth that I keep on my mind lately.

As my Dutch-speaking relatives always say . . . Blessings and Success with great friendliness!
Larry

tod evans
03-29-2006, 7:56 AM
best wishes for all of you larry!

Ed Frie
03-29-2006, 7:57 AM
Larry,

I am sorry to hear about all of this.

It is common for blood sugars to increase during surgical stress. It is a normal response from the release of stress hormones. It doesn't necessarily mean that she will be diabetic for the rest of her life. I am pleased to see that someone checked it. It shows that she is getting intelligent care. There is alot of anesthesia and intensive care literature showing the improvement of outcomes by tight glucose control during the intra-op and post-op periods. It sounds like they are doing that.

Please keep us posted. Also, if you need a translator for any medical info, I am an anesthesiologist and you can PM me if you have any questions that I might be able to help you understand.

Let me know.

Ed

Jackie Outten
03-29-2006, 8:03 AM
Larry,

The prayers of my family go out to you, your wife, and children. May her recovery be a speedy one. If there is anything we can do please let us know.

Jackie

Larry Klaaren
03-29-2006, 8:10 AM
They had their eye on the diabetic thing as she was getting ready, this was sort of the confirmation. She had a grandparent, aunts and uncles and some first cousins on each side with dm, (same for me) and had some of the other indications. She's getting insulin by drip during her stay and then we'll go to diet control.

Larry

Steve Ash
03-29-2006, 8:14 AM
Larry, prayers are sent for a full and speedy recovery.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 8:39 AM
Larry.....Prayers from our home for you, your wife and family!

Glenn Clabo
03-29-2006, 8:58 AM
Larry,
Health has way of putting life in perspective. My respect for nurses has tripled since being married to a nurse myself. They are the ones who understand what is happening...what needs to be done...and how to do it better than anyone.
You and yours have our prayers...and best wishes as this all unfolds.

Tyler Howell
03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Got your back Larry.

Karl Laustrup
03-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Larry, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and keep your chin up. It will get better.

Karl

Cecil Arnold
03-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Larry, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

john whittaker
03-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi Larry, you and your wife are added to our prayer list. May you find peace during this transitional time.

John & Terri

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 6:05 PM
Larry, I'm pulling for you and your family as well. Here's to a quick and complete recovery for your wife, and may your upcoming job changes get settled down with as little muss and fuss as possible.

- Vaughn

Rob Littleton
03-29-2006, 6:47 PM
Larry, I have seen (and am a firm believer) the effects of prayer. Your faith will get you through this.

Remember, ALL things can be done through HIM......Don't lose focus of HIM and all will be cool according to HIS works.

God bless you man.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-29-2006, 8:56 PM
I KNOW what you mean by the issues you address. Hope your wife recovers quickly.

Bruce

Larry Klaaren
03-29-2006, 9:07 PM
I told Ed Frie that I had to grab my ears and twist my head a little more toward straight this morning.

Mary looked and felt great this evening. The kids and I had a good time with her. I'll fill ya'll in in a couple of days.

Later,
Larry

Jerry Olexa
03-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Larry we will pray for a quick recovery. Keep the faith. You'll both be back to normal soon..

John Bailey
03-30-2006, 5:10 AM
Larry,

We'll be thinking and praying for you. I know everything will turn out fine.

John

Jim Dunn
03-30-2006, 8:15 AM
Larry hope your wife comes through with flying colors.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
God bless. Both my wife and I have been there and done that for each other. It's a beast of a burden to bear.

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-30-2006, 1:17 PM
Larry our prayers are with you an dyour family. Hope for a quick healing.

Roger

Larry Klaaren
03-30-2006, 10:26 PM
The doctor sent Mary home today. They took her off her IV's and there is a bug going around the OB ward (what a unit to put hysterectomies on). She's pretty nauseous and sore, but she is in much better spirits beginning about yesterday afternoon. She hasn't been able to hold anything down since she got home.

We drove reeeaaaaal slowly on the way home because her stomach was so tender. Had to manuever through the Final Four traffic anyway, so it took a long time.

I'm staying home with her tomorrow until my son gets home. They have a half day. Then I'll go and try to get a weeks work done tomorrow afternoon.

So far, so good.

Larry

Chuck Beland
03-31-2006, 4:38 AM
We'll be praying for a speedy recovery.

Paul Downes
03-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Larry, I'm also going through a job transition. After 28 yrs. @ G.M. they apparently don't need my services anymore. I was quite angry about it at first, even though I know that there's no sense in getting mad. I try to always trust God, and He has always taken care of us. We've been praying as a family for the last week or so for about 45 min. per day for His direction on what to do. 10 kids and a mortgage will cause one to get serious about prayer. The first day I asked Him for a scripture to help us with our concerns. I opened up to psalm 37. Give it a read. We were greatly encouraged.

Jerry Olexa
03-31-2006, 2:45 PM
Larry, I'm also going through a job transition. After 28 yrs. @ G.M. they apparently don't need my services anymore. I was quite angry about it at first, even though I know that there's no sense in getting mad. I try to always trust God, and He has always taken care of us. We've been praying as a family for the last week or so for about 45 min. per day for His direction on what to do. 10 kids and a mortgage will cause one to get serious about prayer. The first day I asked Him for a scripture to help us with our concerns. I opened up to psalm 37. Give it a read. We were greatly encouraged.

Yes good chapter. Good reflection on times we live in and events of world outside our control. Gives you good perspective on priorities..