PDA

View Full Version : Traction......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-29-2006, 6:12 AM
I'm still very new at all of this turning stuff, I'm getting my feet wet (well, my socks are covered with shavings) and doing more and more of it.

(Excuse me while I ramble a bit here, I hope you find something of interest in this.... :o)

I'm using the gouge mainly, and I'm going to put a long grind on it, but for now, I'm rubbing the bevel and having some fun.

Today, while doing some turning, I noticed a few things, the most important of which is the similarity between the cut the gouge is taking, and the traction I get on a motorcycle at the track.

For any of you who ride bikes, on the limit, you may understand what I'm talking about.

On a bike at the track, with the tires warmed up, and the bike's suspension dialed in, everything right in the world, you can feel the tires grip the track. I can feel the tires as they start to let go, you can feel them wiggle, they squiggle, and squirm, they give a little, and then...... they bite...HARD.... and you get to listen to the sound of money leaving your back account (also known as the sound of expensive race only motorcycles bouncing in the kitty litter, with expensive bits snapping off). Thankfully, if you are careful and you do it right, you don't get to experience that..... often.

I like to leave a nice big fat safety margin when riding, as I only do it for fun, and even not crashing costs a lot of money ($300 for a set of tires you destroy in one day).

Getting back to the wood turning thing, I can feel the gouge riding the bevel, taking a slightly bigger bite, I can feel the gouge start to flex in my hands and this tells me that there is more of a load on the cutting edge, I can slightly, every so lightly rotate the gouge, or twist it, or move the end against my turning muscle just a tad and the catch is no longer there.

There is a big catch coming, I can feel it start, I can hear it, I can just about smell it.... :D the thing for me is to be totally present while standing at the lathe, absolutely focused, just doing that one thing. Often I've been just this side of a big catch, I've had some small ones, just little diggers, but I've not had a big one, I will one day, we all do, just like on the bike, but it will most likely be down to me doing something wrong and nothing else, me not listening to the gouge, ignoring the signs, just like on a bike. The only big get off's I've had on a bike were when I should not have been on the bike, too tired, excited, or such. When I look back on the crash, it was evident it was about to happen, the tires were cold, the track was damp, I'd had some small slips, but I pressed on, to my folly.....

I'm really finding it amazing the parallels between the traction on a good warmed up race tire at the track, and the gouge, cutting the wood,.......

Well.... don't know exactly where all of that came from, but there is is.....

Cheers! :D

Dave Fifield
03-29-2006, 6:31 AM
I think the analogy works Stu....very cleverly thought out. The difference is that when the big one (catch that is) comes along on the lathe, the damage is mostly to your pride! The cost of the ruined bowl/vessel is miniscule compared to motorbike crash damage. Have you tried a skew yet? ;) :D

Dave F.

03-29-2006, 6:42 AM
I think the analogy works Stu....very cleverly thought out. The difference is that when the big one (catch that is) comes along on the lathe, the damage is mostly to your pride! The cost of the ruined bowl/vessel is miniscule compared to motorbike crash damage. Have you tried a skew yet? ;) :D

Dave F.
What are you nuts? :D

That is like handing a GSXR1000 to a 12 year old :eek:

At the track, most of the damage you get with the typical lowside is cosmetic, the race FRP fairing etc is fairly easy to fix, and repaint, the stock plastic stuff just explodes on impact and you buy new ones, that is why a race bike has the FRP stuff. When the bike flips, well then you just hope it don't land on you!

Now high sides, they hurt, I've never done a highside (touch wood) as they usually involve a bit too much throttle too soon, but then again, this may be why I don't win any races and I'm still selling beer for a living :D

Just for fun....

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/images/dutchrun_04_09_26/stu_gixxer1_04_09_26.jpg
My last full on race bike, 2001 GSXR600 what a sweet ride!!

Don't do that stuff anymore, still tour, but you NEVER get to the limits of traction on the road like you do on the track. The bike is shod with full wets, they stick like glue in the rain, you can do massive power wheelies and major stoppies with those things on, amazing.

I tell you it is really neat to find the same kind of physical sensation in turning, like meeting up unexpectedly with an old friend :D

Cheers!

John Hart
03-29-2006, 6:45 AM
...Have you tried a skew yet? ;) :D

Dave F.

Yeah...with the skew, it's more like shoveling snow and hitting the crack on the sidewalk....the angle of approach is important;)

Nice description Stu!!! Well thought out.

Bill Grumbine
03-29-2006, 7:25 AM
Stu, if you keep on like this, you will soon be opening the Dungeon School of Woodturning! I spend all kinds of time telling people stuff like this - listen to the gouge, rotate the gouge, so on and so forth. This is the stuff that is so important, and it is always great when you see people getting it. It sounds like you are getting it. Keep working on that turning muscle! :D

Bill

Pete Jordan
03-29-2006, 7:53 AM
Stu,

After reading the headline, I'm glad to hear you are not in traction after all you do.

Pete

Steve Ash
03-29-2006, 8:05 AM
Stu, look at the bright side. When frying your tires at least you only have to buy half as many as us gearheads do. But then how do you put a price on the "fun factor". Nothing like the smell of burning rubber and high octane!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 8:57 AM
Stu........A couple of amazing things I found in the few short weeks I've been turning..........correctly sharpened tools are unbelieveably important. Yesterday after getting the LOML home, I went to the shop. One of the pieces of cherry John Hart sent me was developing a tremendous crack and I thought I'd better do something with it. Last night I went to the shop and turned a practice goblet out of the wet cherry. WOW! What a kick that was. I swear I had curlies several feet long going over my shoulder whether I was using a roughing gouge or my spindle gouge. Today I want to buy some DNA and then turn my first goblet entry for the contest and then using Bill G's video for a guide, my first 4" cherry bowl. That wet cherry ......what a kick! Thanks John Hart! Enjoy Stu....it's a fantastic journey we've begun!

03-29-2006, 9:07 AM
Bill, one of the reasons I think I got into turning is because of my well developed turning muscle :o :D I used to call it my Molson Muscle, but no one here gets that joke....

Steve, sure, but how often do you wear out your front tires ;)

I rode a 600, so I wore out my fronts almost twice as often as my rear tires, now my buddies with the GSXR 1000 (not stock, over 160 RW Hp) would wear out twice as many rear tires a fronts....

It sure was fun, but expensive, man that hobby makes this turning this seem cheap, and I'm not joking either.

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/images/session5.JPG
one 20 minutes session on my Super Motard bike...

Typical day....

Tolls to the track $100 (easy)
Gas for truck & Bike(s) $100 (again easy)
Track fee $100 to $200 depending on time, track etc.
Tires $300 for sure
Sundries like oil, brake fluid, etc. etc $50
Breakfast on the road $15 (Egg McMuffin)
Lunch at the track $30
Supper on way home $30
================================
Total $725

Now that is all low ball, with no crashes..... :eek:

I've not added in the price of tools, bike, trailer, etc etc.

We would travel up in twos or threes, so some of the costs could be split but still, it was a really good day when you could go and come back and only be $500 poorer, and what did you have...? :D Well ya, we had great fun and great memories....

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/images/guys_race_queens.jpg

If you can see me, I'm on the far left.... :D:D

Yep fun....

Sorry to get off track there, but really, I'm having a lot of fun with the wood working too, and for the bikes, I'm now touring more, much cheaper....

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/images/gifu_trip/stu_corner.jpg

OK,now I want to go back to the Dungeon and make some more shavings...

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 10:22 AM
http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/images/guys_race_queens.jpg

If you can see me, I'm on the far left.... :D:DSome nice, um, attachments, in that post, Stu...:cool:

Steve Ash
03-29-2006, 2:09 PM
If you can see me, I'm on the far left....

Ahhhh, nope I can't see you. But I do see three very pretty sisters.:D

03-29-2006, 2:11 PM
Ya Lee, you could say that.... :rolleyes: :D:D

I was a little worried it was getting slightly off topic, but I figured you guys would let me slide.....no dogs mentioned :p

I went down to the Dungeon, and I had a gnarly piece of Sakura glued to a glue block, and I tried turning a small bowl out of it. I was getting mini catches, almost catches and some down right just about high-side my self over the moon catches. I just could not get a handle on it.....:mad:

I did not have the long grind on my gouge, but a sort of long fingernail grind, this was giving me grief, as I was trying to follow along with Bill's DVD.

Then it happened, on the outside of the bowl, I did it, high-sided to the moon...... a chunk of the small bowl caught, and went suborbital, bouncing right off my face-shield and then around the Dungeon... :eek:

OK that's it, I finally broke down and built a jig to let me put a long grind on the gouge.

Now my gouge is wider than Bill's but still, I put a nice L-O-N-G grind on it.....

MAN ALIVE what a difference!!! :D

I turned what was left of the mini bowl away down to the glue block, and then I chucked up a piece of 4x4 and now I'm working on a goblet.

Boy do I see the light now, it is like I was riding around on my race bike on old hockey puck hard touring tires, and now I have some nice sticky race buns on there, the traction is UNREAL!! I just cannot get over it!!

Whoohoo!!!

Man, what a difference, once I started it was like "Doh!! Why did I not do this to start with...?"

Yep, some times I call myself Stu-pid... ;)

Cheers!