PDA

View Full Version : Pics for Tyler

Pete Harbin
03-29-2006, 2:33 AM
Tyler,

I was going to snap some photos of the Herc-U-Lift caster sets for you last night, but forgot we loaned the digital camera to a buddy whose looking to sell a motorcycle. Well, the camera is back home, so here you go...

I've included pics of the table saw, band saw and planer, all with their Herc-U-Lifts installed. When the lifts are disenganged, the casters are just above the floor and the tool rests on the floor supported by the leg set. When you press the large pedal (main grey panel) down, the casters lower, lifting the tool, and then lock into place. All four casters swivel freely, so you can guide the tool all over, or spin it right in place if you want. Then you just step on the smaller orange pedal in the middle to disengage the casters and lower the tool back down onto the legs.

I've also included the previously gloated on Jet VS mini lathe in one of the pictures. This little guy has a Herc-U-Lift reserved for it as well. Without a dust collection system, it'll be nice to be able to open the garage door and roll the planer or lathe just under the door and let the shavings fall onto the driveway. :)

Pete

Go Stars!

Greg Koch
03-29-2006, 3:29 AM
Pete,

My new Delta 36-680 TS is being delivered tomorrow and I would like to install a lift stand like this. Do you know if it will work with other mfg stands besides Rigid? Are any necessary brackets included for other stands?

Thanks,

Greg

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 3:40 AM
Greg, the short answer is yes. At most you'll have to drill a few holes in the legs of the Delta stand.

The Herc-U-Lift was (and likely still is) on sale at Home Depot for $29.00. I have one built into my Ridgid table saw, and it works great. Better than I'd expected. It's much more useful to me than the Shop Fox and HTC kits I have on my bandsaw and jointer. I bought one of the $29.00 kits last week, and am slowly working on attaching it to my Workmate. I'm sure you can make it work on the Delta TS.

Pete...we're gonna start accusing you of owning too much Ridgid stock here pretty soon. ;)

- Vaughn

Tyler Howell
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. always looking for way to move the iron around the shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Tyler.....try spinning....and drive a little wood around and around and around

Pete Harbin
03-29-2006, 1:17 PM
Greg,

Like Vaughn said, you can install the Hercs on almost anything. Each kit comes with two different sets of brackets...one that mounts to the inside of a tool's legs, and another that mounts to the outside (used these on the band saw) so you can customize almost any tool to accomadate the Herc with a few drilled holes to mount the brackets.

The manual is also very well done. There is a whole page of different dimmesional settings that you might see on a stationary tool with appropriate settings to make the Herc fit. They even provide a counterbalance spring and chain for wider leg sets (used that one on the planer stand.)

No Emerson or TTI stock in my portfolio, but as someone who tries to shop for value and quality, it's hard not to look at Ridgid. I know they get poo-pooed sometimes because HD is their exlusive distributor (with a few exceptions) but their tools always fair well in reviews and even win a few top honors. It seems like they add something to a tool when they introduce a new one...air cooled battery charges, extended life motors with replacable brushes, Herc-U-Lift, lighted cords and so on... I hear they even released an updated version of their 6" Random Orbit sander with better control and dust collection. I've got plenty of other tools that I'm just as happy with too(DeWalt, Hitachi, Porter Cable, Jet, Delta, Craftsman.) I've just had such positive experiences with all of my Ridgid tools, that now they'll always make my "list to look at" when considering future purchases. Unfortunately, now that LOML and I are no longer DINKs, the "list to look at" is filled with diapers and formula! I'm still waiting on Ridgid's 18v cordless wipey warmer though :D

I haven't been swayed into the world of the Festoolians (yet! :eek: ) so I guess you could call me a Ridgidian...Ridgidese...Ridgidlander...Ridgidonian ...? :p

Pete

Sam Chambers
03-29-2006, 1:23 PM
The Herc-U-Lift was (and likely still is) on sale at Home Depot for $29.00.

Vaughn, when did you buy yours? I just looked on Home Depot's web site, and it's listed for $49.00. At $29.00, I'd definitely go grab a couple.

Tyler Howell
03-29-2006, 1:39 PM
Greg,

I haven't been swayed into the world of the Festoolians (yet! :eek: ) so I guess you could call me a Ridgidian...Ridgidese...Ridgidlander...Ridgidonian ...? :p

Pete

How about we just call you our friend Pete or new dad and leave it at that??

Pete Harbin
03-29-2006, 3:24 PM
How about we just call you our friend Pete or new dad and leave it at that??

I like that best of all Tyler! :)

Pete

Greg Koch
03-29-2006, 11:07 PM
I went to my local HD today and finally found the Herc-U-Lift Plus under the miter saw shelf. They were marked $49, but I asked one of the clerks to check.....Yep, came up $29 in the computer. I picked up 2...1 for my new Delta Contractor TS and 1 for my Craftsman 20" Scroll saw.

Thanks for posting this.

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 11:10 PM
I've got 2 Hercu-lifts......One on my planer and one on the TS. Both work well!

Sam Chambers
04-07-2006, 9:40 PM
The Home Depot nearest to my house didn't have any Herculifts. I stopped at a different store this afternoon on my way back into town, and they had 3 of them, at $29 each. I bought them all. Thanks for the tip, guys!