PDA

View Full Version : Norton Systemworks Help

Martin Shupe
08-15-2003, 1:12 AM
My computer runs on Windows ME and is 3 years old. I had a major crash about a year ago, and after that, I put in Norton Systemworks 2002. When it got close to expiring, I bought the NSW 2003 CD and tried to install it. Well, it won't install without first uninstalling the old one. In other words, it won't install over the old program.

So, I tried to uninstall the old program, and I keep getting this:

Msiexec has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL

Then it terminates the unistall, and recommends that I reboot the computer. No matter how many times I reboot, the same message comes up.

So I go to their website, and they want 29.95 if you call them for help. Let's see, I paid around $50-60 bucks for a product that does not work, and they want another $30 so they can tell me how to fix it.

I would take it back, but I bought it about 6 months ago, and was waiting for the "expiration" message to appear.

So...anyone have a clue how to fix this? Please keep it simple, as my computer knowledge consists of a course in FORTRAN, on punch cards, in 1979.

Thanks,

Perry Schmidt
08-15-2003, 1:48 AM
First thing I'd try is to boot to safe mode and try to uninstall from there. When Windows is booting, the first windows screen you might see a message about 'select an operating system'...it goes by fast. But I think if you hit F8 it will give you an option list at that point. Pick safe mode and try the uninstall from there. If the F8 doesn't work, bring up something like Windows Explorer, pick help and search for Safe Mode. It will tell you know to do so on your particular Windows OS. (Don't know if F8 is for all versions or not...)

If that doesn't work, post again. There are some other suggestions but they are a lot more dangerous.

Perry

Glen Smith
08-15-2003, 9:25 AM
My computer runs on Windows ME ...

Msiexec has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL

Then it terminates the unistall, and recommends that I reboot the computer. No matter how many times I reboot, the same message comes up.

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help,but I don't think that the KERNEL32.DLL problem was casued by Norton or trying to uninstall it. When I was running ME, I had that problem at least 3 different times.

The first time, I installed some other software which I promptly forgot the name of that discovered the missing file and asked me if I wanted to reinstall it.

The second time, I searched in vain for the above software and finally had to reinstall ME.

The third time it happened, I figured out that ME was unstable and it was time to upgrade to XP Pro. That was about a year ago and I havn't had any crashes since.

The only advice I can give you is that you need to get anything valuable off your drive ASAP, with that file missing, each time you boot the machine, it gets a little worse, till it wont even boot in safe mode.

It is possible that you have a virus - Klez I think

Good luck!
Glen Smith