PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezers and Others Goblet Contest Entries.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 11:43 PM
This is it folks......post your goblet entries photo here.........may the best turner win!

Steve Ash
03-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Here is my entry, my very first ever turning. I turned it Sunday on Pete Jordans lathe. Ash center, cherry then oak. Sanded to 400 grit and given a liberal dose of watco danish oil. My wife has it on her dresser to put her rings in when not on her hand.

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Steve that is absolutely awesome. You did a great job. Love the different woods. I did that with a box I turned last Sunday with Ash and Walnut. Looks mighty fine.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 11:53 PM
I think we've got a ringer here...........:confused: I've been set up.......AGAIN.........:rolleyes: First turning...................:confused: Right! I was born on a Saturday but it wasn't last Saturday!:cool: Luckily for me.......there's no rules.....Therefore I don't have to enter my own contest!:eek: :D

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Now that is cool Steve! I love that!

Corey

Steve Ash
03-28-2006, 11:58 PM
First turning...................:confused: Right!

Now I asked you boys if I could play too :D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33596

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Steve seriously......That is an unbelieveable first turning! I am green....I mean green with envy! Fantastic! Glad you entered it into the contest!

John Miliunas
03-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Like I told you before, Steve, I can only imagine all the stuff you'd be turning out if you had your very own lathe!!! :) Great job on the goblet, my friend!!! :) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't think vBulletin will let me attach the same picture twice, so look at it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33742

Do I get credit for "First Entry" or is there a penalty for being too quick on the trigger?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
You just get credit for an entry Lee.........No rules other than you must turn your own goblet.

John Hart
03-29-2006, 6:51 AM
I don't think vBulletin will let me attach the same picture twice...

Lee, if you make a copy of the pic, then rename the copy as something else, the system will allow you to post it twice.

David Fried
03-29-2006, 6:54 AM
Ken,

If you drop 396 big block in your mini then you too could turn like Steve!

Dave Fried

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 8:47 AM
Dave....the mini will only take a 9 5/8"...........:mad: :rolleyes: :D

Raymond Overman
03-29-2006, 9:13 AM
Well, the bark may give a little extra flavor to the beverage of your choice but here's my first entry into the contest. I turned it a while back but since there are no rules I guess I can post it here. There will be more to come.

Bradfort Pear
Danish Oil Finish
6" tall by 3" diameter

Pete Jordan
03-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Steve,
I can't wait until you let me work on my lathe. If I promise to clean up all the shavings can I have a little time this weekend?

Actually, great job! I have parent-teacher conferences this week but after that I will try my first goblet and I hope it will be half as good as yours.

Pete

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Lee, if you make a copy of the pic, then rename the copy as something else, the system will allow you to post it twice.Nope, just tried it, that doesn't work: I think it looks at the actual file, maybe the JPEG info fields.

John Miliunas
03-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Nope, just tried it, that doesn't work: I think it looks at the actual file, maybe the JPEG info fields.

Lee, change the size of the original by a few pixels and rename it. Then it will work just fine. :) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Lee, change the size of the original by a few pixels and rename it. Then it will work just fine. :) :cool:Ok, worth a try...
Got it.

4.5"x3", bone-dry redwood.

John Miliunas
03-29-2006, 11:04 AM
OK, so far I'm seeing three great goblets!!! The bar has been set! :) Good job, guys! :) :cool:

Don Orr
03-29-2006, 11:38 AM
OK, so far I'm seeing three great goblets!!! The bar has been set! :) Good job, guys! :) :cool:

What bar you talkin about and where ? What we gonna put in these here goblets when they're done ? I haven't set at no bar for a long time so I guess I'd better belly up and give this a spin. This got anything ta do with all that alcohol soakin I keep hearin about?:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Bring it on Don! The more the merrier!

Steve Ash
03-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Steve,
I can't wait until you let me work on my lathe. If I promise to clean up all the shavings can I have a little time this weekend?

Actually, great job! I have parent-teacher conferences this week but after that I will try my first goblet and I hope it will be half as good as yours.

Pete

Pete, Thanks for the use of your lathe...now I'll share:D

I glued this up for you in case you want to use it....rules say you have to turn it yourself, says nothing about a flatlander not being able to glue it up for you! After all, somethings round start out flat.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Well............I can see now that the next time we are going to have to set some more stringet rules! Pete and Steve are "tag teaming" us!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Pete Jordan
03-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Pete, Thanks for the use of your lathe...now I'll share:D

I glued this up for you in case you want to use it....rules say you have to turn it yourself, says nothing about a flatlander not being able to glue it up for you! After all, somethings round start out flat.

Steve,

It looks impressive!

What are those orange things?

Lee DeRaud
03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
What are those orange things?Think of them as "chucks for flatwork".:D

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 1:40 PM
OK, since there are no rules (and due to the fact that I won't have time to turn a new one right now) I thought I'd post the only full size goblet I've turned. It is Poplar and measures 7" tall and about 2-3/4" diameter. By the way, I am old so I do qualify.

Steve Ash
03-29-2006, 1:54 PM
Pete and Steve are "tag teaming" us!

Well, us youngsters had to come up with some kind of a edge to compete with you old geezers! :D

John Hart
03-29-2006, 3:05 PM
OK, since there are no rules (and due to the fact that I won't have time to turn a new one right now) I thought I'd post the only full size goblet I've turned. It is Poplar and measures 7" tall and about 2-3/4" diameter. By the way, I am old so I do qualify.

Nice work Keith! You do know however, that the contest deadline was based on your personal schedule. You are, therefore under a moral obligation to turn another one.;) :D

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 3:22 PM
Nice work Keith! You do know however, that the contest deadline was based on your personal schedule. You are, therefore under a moral obligation to turn another one.;) :D

Yeah, I know, and I will. This was just for the heck of it, and I therefore disqualify it from the competition.:)

Andy Hoyt
03-29-2006, 4:28 PM
Hey, since there are no rules, I hereby take Keith's lead and disqualify all entries - except the one that i'll be posting in a day or two.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 4:50 PM
Ah.......but read the original thread......Judging done by SMCers' not just the contestants..........

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 4:52 PM
Hey, since there are no rules, I hereby take Keith's lead and disqualify all entries - except the one that i'll be posting in a day or two.:D

Good idea Andy !:D Now then, if I post my last entry at 11:59 pm on the 15th, then disqualify yours at the last second, maybe I could win. Yeah, that 'il work:p

Andy Hoyt
03-29-2006, 5:39 PM
keith - the race is on. Who can stay up the latest? Cuppa joe?

Stephen Hibbs
03-29-2006, 5:57 PM
I posted this a while ago, it was my first cup and second turning, norfolk pine. I don't have it (gifted it off) but I think it was around 6"Tall and maybe 3" wide, pretty thin, you could see light at the lower parts of the walls., these are pretty rough though. I'll have a walnut cup done by friday hopefully, I'll post it when it's done.

John Hart
03-29-2006, 9:10 PM
Ok...I had to do my first Goblet to see what I'm in for. So here it is. I just grabbed a scrap and wailed away at it...not worrying about nuthin'. Somehow, it survived. No sanding, no finish....6" High, 2.75" in diameter and got the wall thickness down to .089. Time to try it for real!:)

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 9:14 PM
Ok...I had to do my first Goblet to see what I'm in for. So here it is. I just grabbed a scrap and wailed away at it...not worrying about nuthin'. Somehow, it survived. No sanding, no finish....6" High, 2.75" in diameter and got the wall thickness down to .089. Time to try it for real!:)

FOUL ! FOUL!......That was the design I was going to do !:mad: :D

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 9:15 PM
keith - the race is on. Who can stay up the latest? Cuppa joe?

Let 'er rip tater chip....give it your best shot:D :D

Corey Hallagan
03-29-2006, 9:31 PM
Question for you goblet turners. I watched a video at woodcraft on turning a goblet. After turning the interior of the goblet, do you stuff it with a rag and bring up the tail piece and finish turning the rest or do you use another method? Thanks,
Corey

Ernie Nyvall
03-29-2006, 9:32 PM
Since there are no rules, I claim for myself all entries that will be submitted.:p

Some nice goblets so far guys.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Corey.....you could do that. I've been practising and haven't used that method yet. I had one launch on me today but it wasn't because I caught a gouge or vibration. There was either a large larve pocket or a rotted knot about 5/8-3/4" in diameter and about 3/4" in length running with the grain ...right in the center. I was roughing down grain from the base to the cup portion using my spindle gouge. I cut through about 75% of this knot/larva hole and the cup portion launched!

I've made 3 goblets so far......I keep my tools sharp and haven't experienced any vibration problems or any breaks until today. This launching was because of the deficit in the wood ....not because of methodology.

These are fun to make. You use a lot of different techniques...end grain...with the grain.....scraping........cutoff.....definitely an educational experience.

Tomorrow I hope to make my first bowl......we'll see.

Corey Hallagan
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Ken for the info. Good luck on the bowl!

Corey

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Since there are no rules, I claim for myself all entries that will be submitted.:p

Some nice goblets so far guys.

Ernie

Oh, Ernie that is lower than low:eek: :( :D

John Timberlake
03-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Great goblets, guys. Since I don't think I will have time to turn one any time soon, here a couple that I did two years ago. The pine goblet is about 7 1/2" high. Walnut is 6 1/2".

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-30-2006, 5:54 AM
Well I told you I'd get in here, not much, just about the size for holding an egg... :D

Blew up a couple before I got to this level.
Dry soft fir, I think.....

Cheers!

Jim Dunn
03-30-2006, 7:49 AM
Stu that is outstanding! Nice looking form and scale. And to think you had trouble gettin that lathe. If it new how good you were it would have come looking for you.

03-30-2006, 7:53 AM
Well thanks very much Jim, but don't forget, we get to choose the camera angle...... :o

Got a might thin in spots on the back side.

Soft wood is not so great for this, it flexes too much.

Next will be some dry hard wood, but I'll have to do a glue up....

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 9:04 AM
Excellent work Stu!

Dennis Peacock
03-30-2006, 9:42 AM

Ohhhhh....Now that's real purdy Keith!!!! I really like it and the photo.:D

Mike Ramsey
03-30-2006, 9:42 AM
First entry, actually first time i've made a goblet, on purpose anyway!
I made this out of the same Mesquite log that I made my bonker from.
I also made it to match my bonker, actually it's heavy enough to use as a
bonker, get drunk and use it to bonk anyone that p$$es you off!
Yep you guessed it! It's a Bonker Goblet!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 9:50 AM
Mike....Nice Goblet! I like the dual function also! :rolleyes: Just make sure you have consumed all you grog before you use it as a bonker! Don't want to waste good grog!:D

John Hart
03-30-2006, 9:53 AM
A Grogulator? Too Cool!

Andy Hoyt
03-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Mike - That's one nice brobdingnagian grogulating bonkinator of a gobletinian nature.

John Hart
03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Mike - That's one nice brobdingnagian grogulating bonkinator of a gobletinian nature.

I think I read somewhere that the Ancient Gobletinians were obsessed with grogulating. Probably why they are extinct.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 10:15 AM
John....could you steer me to your reading material? I'd like to read that too!

John Hart
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
John....could you steer me to your reading material? I'd like to read that too!

Sure....get on interstate 80 East....there's a rest stop in Wyoming or Illinois somewhere. Third stall from the right.;)

Mike Ramsey
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Well I guess it is quite Lilliputian as Andy said! I would not waste
good Grog Ken! Thanks John! I hearby rename the Bonker Goblet...
"The Grogulator"...

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 10:48 AM
John....Andy.....Mike....other turners.......I want you to all know that between my wife and the turners on this forum I will never have a stiff neck..........I find myself ....multiple times daily........looking down at the floor and shaking my head. :D

Andy Hoyt
03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Ken - Stop looking at the floor and ponder this.

John has confused the Ancient Gobletinians with Modern World Gobletarians. The former group - as we all know - are devout rotunderers whereas the latter are total oblongiates. And while you might believe that this is really a simple matter of perspicacious perspective, it is in fact an issue that has troubled a little documented group from the Chateaugay Wilderness area in Vermont known as the Ovaltinians. These folks only consume their chocolate flavored mead in wooden vessels turned on lathes much like the ones used by the Old Schwamb Mill (http://www.oldschwambmill.org/theframes/theframes.html) in Sturbridge, Mass.

And then there are a Creekatoids. Shall I digress?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Yup! It happened again!:rolleyes:

Raymond Overman
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Andy, you're one weird dude... not that there's anything wrong with that. Just saying.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 6:17 PM
Okay folks........I've been practicing for this and I wanted to try a new finish ..........and try finishing some cherry. I showed the LOML this and she why aren't you entering it.........I said .......it's just a trial run....an experiment..........SWMBO said "enter it"..........Well one of the few rules was multiple entries allowed........so here it is............cherry goblet..sides of the cup portion 0.180" thick ...finished with BLO and friction polish ....buffed with the beal buffing system. A bunch of firsts on this including my first friction chuck.

John Hart
03-30-2006, 6:19 PM
That's a pretty Lil' cup Mr Fitzgerald! So....What's the finish? How big is it?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 6:22 PM
It's 5" tall by 2 3/8" ..........Finish is John Hart's BLO friction finish.....buffed with the Beal buffing system.

Andy Hoyt
03-30-2006, 6:53 PM
Good one, Ken. So how thick is the stem? Did'ja go for 1/4" again?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2006, 7:12 PM
You know Andy....I really didn't measure it. I was mainly trying to speed up the drying process of green wood. My oldest son came over to visit his Mom last night. When he went outside to have a cigarette, I took him to the shop and turned down a 4" square piece to a 4" round piece so he could see me "shoot curlies". It was still in the lathe this morning and I decided to try another goblet. I was working on getting thinner walls and decided to finish turn it and try microwaving it to reduce the moisture. I had another totally unfinished one very similar in size and shape but not as refined as this one. I did it yesterday and I thought I could nuke this one and compare the warpage against the one I did yesterday. It was amazing that after a couple of "defrost" cycles, this one had a lot more warpage than the one I turned yesterday. So I took it back to the lathe, using the remnant of it, I turned a friction chuck for this one and mounted it between the friction chuck and tailstock and returned it. Then I thought hey....this things lost about 10 grams in moisture....let's see if it'll take a finish.....I had some old BLO....I put a coat on and friction polished it with a paper towel...Then a 2nd coat and repeat the heat.....Then a coat of friction polish....and the Beal buffing system. So I really wasn't paying attention to the size of the stem but I'd bet it's close. I'll measure it later. I need to run a couple of errands for Sharon right now.

Mike Ramsey
03-30-2006, 8:48 PM
Ken that is a very nice goblet! Good looking form & finish!

Steve Ash
03-30-2006, 9:10 PM
Nice looking stuff being entered here from you guys. I have much to learn.

Curt Fuller
03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Apple wood goblet. 7" tall, 2 3/16" at the widest part of the cup, and the stem 3/16" at the narrow spot. That 'design opportunity' in the center of the cup is really a screw up from trying to adjust the tool rest with the lathe running. It slid into the cup making a divot. This is finished with some Hut friction polish. Apple is nice wood for something like this. It turns like butter.

Curt Fuller
03-30-2006, 10:52 PM
First entry, actually first time i've made a goblet, on purpose anyway!
I made this out of the same Mesquite log that I made my bonker from.
I also made it to match my bonker, actually it's heavy enough to use as a
bonker, get drunk and use it to bonk anyone that p$$es you off!
Yep you guessed it! It's a Bonker Goblet!

I believe they call that a tankard!

doug webb
03-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Too long in microwave?

03-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Too long in microwave?

Heck it looks like it is glowing already :D

I guess it depends on the size of your nuker.

Ken, nic job, better than my little pine egg cup,

Curt, Apple wood is sure nice, love that stuff, nice looking goblet too!

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
03-31-2006, 2:38 AM
Okay, this is NOT my entry, but thought I'd post a practice "goblet" to give you all a chuckle and make Curt's apple one look even better......No finish, no sanding, just raw canarywood.

Having trouble getting the hang of this with it screwed to faceplate (chuck is in the mail.....) Also, kept popping off the jamb thingy when I tried to work on the bottom. Even bounced of the floor a time or two.

I will get a decent one entered........ I think..... Thinner stem, slimmer foot..... This is fun.

03-31-2006, 4:21 AM
Okay, this is NOT my entry, but thought I'd post a practice "goblet" to give you all a chuckle and make Curt's apple one look even better......No finish, no sanding, just raw canarywood.

Having trouble getting the hang of this with it screwed to faceplate (chuck is in the mail.....) Also, kept popping off the jamb thingy when I tried to work on the bottom. Even bounced of the floor a time or two.

I will get a decent one entered........ I think..... Thinner stem, slimmer foot..... This is fun.

Looking good so far Barry, what the heck is Canary wood?

SWMBO let you bring that into the house and put it on the sofa...? :eek:

Mine are not good enough to get into the big house..... yet ;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 9:24 AM
Barry.........Yours looks about like the one I used for comparison when I nuked the one I posted. How are you attaching yours to the faceplate? I'd attach the end that is going to be the base of the goblet and make the blank a couple of inches longer than the planned goblet. I'd first rough turn the blank to widest dimension. Then, turn the cup area, roughly size the exterior and then work on sizing the interior. After you get the interior of the cup sized and shaped, go ahead and finish it...sand it.....friction polish it.....it's done. Then work on finish turning the ouside of the cup area and the immediate area below the cup .....say the 1st inch below the cup. This leaves a lot of meat to keep the stem part steady, reducing vibration. After you get the outside of the cup area finished shaped to the interior (wall thickness and shape) size the base and use your parting tool to make a cut that marks where you are going to cut off below the base. Make this cut just slightly deeper than the finished size of the base, so you can properly size the base. Now remove the excess from the stem while shaping the swell between the base and the stem. After you get the stem finish sized, resize as necessary the base and reshape the swell going into the stem as necessary. Using your parting tool, return to the proposed cutoff area and cut it down to say an inch in diameter. I usually make this cutoff area about 2-3 widths of the parting tool and angle the cutoff line just slightly into the base so the bottom of the base is slightly concave. Now sand the exterior of the entire goblet and finish if you are using a friction finish. If you made the cutoff area wide enough you can finish part of the bottom at this time too. Next with the lathe running, reach around the head stock with one hand and "cup" the goblet with that hand and using the parting tool with the other (right hand) finish parting the goblet from the excess. You should end up with about a 1 inch area that you have to sand and finish off the lathe.

I agree these are a kick in the pants to do! I learned a lot about back scraping using my spindle gouge....about rapid plunge cutting endgrain using the round nose scraper to set side wall thickness.....about using the spindle gouge in conjunction with the skew to set exrtremely fine detail......Great learning experience!

Good luck! and Enjoy!

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Here is my first entry into the goblet contest. As you can see the height is about 4 3/4 inshes tall and the cup is about 1 inch wide. The stem is just less than 1/8 inches wide at the base of the cup. It is made of apple and just has a sanding sealer on it now. I hope you like it, if not please tell me what you don'tlike so I can improve on the next one. This one got a bit scarry toward the last because the cup started to flex and I did not think that I was going to get it finished before it broke. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 10:03 AM
I'll bet there was some "whiplash" with that thin stem!

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Ken, you are righhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht:) :) :) It was really scarry!!!!!!

John Hart
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Ron...this should not be considered to be a criticism....but more an observation......It immediately reminded me of a candle holder. I think it is very cool....and you are very brave.:)

Paul Downes
03-31-2006, 11:30 AM
I guess I better go turn a big one so I can justify poking fun at that miget you turned Ron.:D Of course, if yer drinkin a fine distilled malt beverage or perhaps some corn squeezins, I can understand the sizing. I don't know if I'd have the guts to turn something that long and skinny. Nice job all the same! The thought crosses my mind. If you do drink some strong liquids from that container, how do you keep from breaking it?

Jim Dunn
03-31-2006, 2:21 PM
Ron you are one brave soul! 1/8 in diameter. I'd break it just handling it let alone trying to turn it. Real nice.

Ed Laskey
03-31-2006, 6:31 PM
Hi

i never posted hear before, i was always just a looker. but hears my goblets i'm a new turner and these are my first try at some golbets last weekend there made from some 2x4s i riped into 2x2 and then turned and finshed with fiction polish

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/steelix_70/DSC_0005.jpg

John Hart
03-31-2006, 6:34 PM
Welcome Ed!!! Glad you came out of the shadows!

Very nice pieces!!!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 6:36 PM
First...........Welcome to the Creek Ed!

2nd..........Nice entries!

3rd............I moved to Idaho from Joliet in 1982. I used to get off I-55 at the Plainfield exit to get to my house. I drove through Plainfield regularly going to a medical center in Aurora.

4th.........I too am a new turner.........These idiots here forced me into the vortex.:eek: :D .......I have to admit I quit fighting it shortly there after!:)

Again........Welcome to the Creek!

Jim Dunn
03-31-2006, 6:52 PM
Howdy Ed:) Glad you joined in the discussion. Real nice pieces too.

doug webb
03-31-2006, 7:16 PM
After the ' glow in the dark ' goblet, I deleted all my pics and tried again. One cedar and one maple. Both thinner [ the cup] than I normally turn. Probably 1/8 thickest . Fun, I like these contests, no rules, prizes or disappointments.....Everybody wins........Thanks Ken and John

Keith Burns
03-31-2006, 7:33 PM
First, Welcome Ed, where ya been ???? Lurking ???? Glad you decided to join in the fun. A great place to be...this SMC place.

Now about your entries, they look great, nice form on both:) :) I really don't buy the idea though that your'e a new turner:D :D

Keith Burns
03-31-2006, 7:35 PM
Now to everybody elses goblets.............they are amazing, all of them. You have done yourselves proud. Wish I could keep up !!

John Hart
03-31-2006, 8:09 PM
Those are Cool Mr Webb!!! I was thinking maybe your microwave was at Chernobyl or something!!!:)

David Fried
03-31-2006, 8:45 PM
Doug,

I think you could turn lamp shades for night lights! Yup, those are thin!! Great job! (Although I was partial to the glow in the dark version;) )

Dave Fried

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 8:46 PM
Here is the second entry that I will make. The piece is made of Elm and is 6 1/2 inches tall. The goblet is 2 1/2 half inches wide at the mouth and the stem is about 3/16 inches wide at the bottom of the goblet. As you can probably guess this one got whiplash before it was done also. It is finished with sanding sealer right now and I will wait a couple of days before I put the finish on it.

John I also believe that the cup on the small one I posted this morning makes it look like a candle stick. Thanks for the comment.

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 8:49 PM
Ed

if those are some of your first works I don't want to compete with you when you have some time under your belt. Great work for a firts or 100th time.

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 8:51 PM
Doug

I like the way you did those and the way you did that last picture. good job.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 9:01 PM
Ron..........I really like your last entry........I have a question.........what's the technique used in making those rings and putting them on the stem? I'm guessing they were turned on the stem. The LOML saw that and asked me to make a set for our granddaughter as a wedding present. Were any special tools used?

2nd question..........the wood you used for that entry.....was it dry when you turned it or was it wet?

Thanks!

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 9:15 PM
Ron..........I really like your last entry........I have a question.........what's the technique used in making those rings and putting them on the stem? I'm guessing they were turned on the stem. The LOML saw that and asked me to make a set for our granddaughter as a wedding present. Were any special tools used?

2nd question..........the wood you used for that entry.....was it dry when you turned it or was it wet?

Thanks!

Ken

I do have some special tools that a guy in this area makes for turning rings, but you can buy one from most wood turning stores made by Sorby. The rings are turned out of the same piece of wood as the goblet is made of and they are turned at the same time that you turn the goblet. I will post another one in the near future that is called a wedding goblet that has the rings interlocked that I think your wife would like better for a wedding present. The wood I used has been drying for about two years so it was not green but at the same time it was not fully seasoned. You will find out that the heat generated form sanding will take most of the moisture out of a turning it you turn it thin enough. The technique I use to make the rings is a bit hard to explain so I will do another set in the morning and take some pictures of it while I am doing it. I hope that answers your questions, if not fire away and I will do better next time.

Ron Ainge
03-31-2006, 9:17 PM
I forgot, I do not put the rings on the stem. They are a part of the wood that I turn away to make the stem. I don't know if you can tell but I do make the rings smaller than the foot so that they will never come off unless you break them or the stem on the goblet.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2006, 9:19 PM
Thanks Ron! I look forward to your next example and you've given me an excuse for another tool!:D

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 9:55 AM
Ken

I have the examples done but I am having trouble getting the pictures to upload because the system says they are too large. I will try a couple of things to see if I can resize them, but if I can't get that done I will do them monday at work where we have some computer people who can resize them for me.

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Well here is a short version of how I turn my goblets. The first picture is of the piece of Maple as it looked when I started with it. The second picture shows the starting of me shaping the cup portion of the goblet with a gouoge. I use both a bowl and a spindle gouge to do this work. The next two pictures show how I finish the cup portion with a skew and then use the skew as a scraper to get rid of the cutting lines left by the gouges.

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
The next picture shows how I cut the insides of the goblet drawing the spindle gouge from the middle of the cup to the outside. the next picture shows the goblet cored out, sanded and two lines burned into it. I also put on the sanding sealer at this time and use friction to buff it in. The next picture shows me putting a sponge into the cup and bringing the live center up to steady the goblet. I put just enough pressure on it to stabilize the piece but not so much that it puts any pressure on the goblet. The next picture shows how I design the base of the goblet and start the stem. This is the time when you decide how thin you are going to make the stem at the bottom of the cup. If you make it real thin at this point you will need to sand it and seal it because it will be real risky to come back later and try to reduce the size or it later.

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 10:39 AM
The next step is starting to make the rings, I cut a grove into the wood to make a space to statr the ring and then use the same tool to round over the ring before I cut it off. The next picture shows me using the Sorby ring tool to cut the inside of the ring. This tool is made in such a way the you can cut from either side by turning the tool over (I hope you all understand that). The next picture shows the first ring cut off and the last picture shows the how I make a recess in the wood to keep the two rings in place while I turn the stem down some more.

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 10:47 AM
The next picture shows how I take the rings to the cup so the I can finish the stem and the foot portion of the goblet. As you can see I use one piece of tape to hold the rings in place and anothere one that goes around the goblet to make sure that the first tape does not come loose. The nest picture shows the start of the cut off, I only cut part of the way at this time so I can do the finish sanding and put the sanding sealer on it. The last picture is the finished product, it is 6 1/2 inches tall, 2 3/8 inches at the lip and 3 1/2 inches at the base of the cup. The smallest portion of the stem is 3/16 inches wide. I hope you like this demo of my work and if you have any questions please let me know.

04-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Wow Ron, that is really step by step, makes me realize how much I still have to learn!

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Ron..........your step by step procedure documented with photos should be in the articles section, IMHO! Excellent! It is as I thought! Thank you so much!

Lee DeRaud
04-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Uh, Ron, you do realize it's not polite to make my head explode? :eek: :D

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Well here is my last entry into the old geezer and goblet contest. This one is made of Silver Maple and is 7 3/4 inches tall. the Mouth is 2 inches wide and the small part of the stem is 3/16 inches wide. The rins at the bottom have been interlocked and I call this a wedding cup because as people are married they become interlocked as the rings are. I hope this is enough form this old geezer because I need to turn some bowl blanks and boil them today.

Don Baer
04-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Dang Ron,
I was gonna try a ringed goblet but you beat me too it. Great job and thanks for the step by step.

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the comments on the pictorial. I wish the pictures had come out better but that is the first time that I did anything like that.

Ken I don't know if this is good enough to post on any how to page that anyone would want to use as a guide to make a goblet with. I did it mainley to show how to turn the rings.

John Hart
04-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Ron...I think it's great...both the How-To and the piece. Wonderful work. I am in agreement with Ken. Definitely needs to be an Article.

Paul Downes
04-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Ron, I hope my earlier coments didn't cause you any umbrage. I just like a good laugh, and being Irish, come from a long line of practical jokers. I am somewhat of an Irish reject 'cause I don't get drunk.

Question; what sanding sealer do you use? I'm new to woodworking and haven't used that stuff yet. Nice work! by the way. and thanks for the tutorial. You might add it to the 'how to' threads. Maybe a photo close-up of the ring tool point?

Chris Barton
04-01-2006, 3:29 PM
Well, here is my entry since I haven't posted a project in a long time.

Ron Ainge
04-01-2006, 3:36 PM
Chris I like the shape of the goblet, I wish I knew the size and the trpe of wood you made it out of.

Paul, I take no exception with you I enjoy the kidding on this site. I know that the little one that I turned would not be too good to drink much out of except for strait grain or maby some saki. the sealer I use is a 50/50 mix of laquer sanding sealer and laquer thinner.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 3:38 PM
Chris.......I like that goblet.....the shape......the wood........the finish.......I especially like the figure and color in that wood! What kind of wood is it?

doug webb
04-01-2006, 3:50 PM
One more cause it was fun........

Chris Barton
04-01-2006, 3:54 PM
Sorry guys, I had a brain fart when I posted. It is about 7" tall and is turned from ambrosia maple. I just did this piece and I don't think the shellac was even dry when I took the picture. Thanks for the interest!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 3:55 PM
Doggone it Doug! If a guy was using that in a drinking contest....he'd lose due to indecision!:D Nice double ended goblet!

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 3:57 PM
Nice stuff, everyone.

Hey Chris - I'm especially looking forward to seeing the turned piece that will incorporate that nice looking chunk of inlay.

Chris Barton
04-01-2006, 3:59 PM
Nice stuff, everyone.

Hey Chris - I'm especially looking forward to seeing the turned piece that will incorporate that nice looking chunk of inlay.

Thanks Andy,

You can get a preview over in the neander forum...

Andy Hoyt
04-01-2006, 4:03 PM
Good looking thing ya got going there, Chris.

Hey everyone, ya have to check out what Chris turned (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34028) on his spring pole lathe (which 'splains why it's over in Neanderville).:D

David Fried
04-01-2006, 4:44 PM
Good looking thing ya got going there, Chris.

Hey everyone, ya have to check out what Chris turned (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34028) on his spring pole lathe (which 'splains why it's over in Neanderville).:D

I dunno - appears to be some kind of fancy parting tool!

Dave Fried

John Hart
04-01-2006, 4:50 PM
Nice Goblet Chris! I just love ambrosia maple!!

Hey Doug! A siamese cup!:D Cool!!

Frank Chaffee
04-01-2006, 6:30 PM
Doggone it Doug! If a guy was using that in a drinking contest....he'd lose due to indecision!:D Nice double ended goblet!
…or win because he’d have to be pretty darn quick!!!
Frank

Curt Fuller
04-01-2006, 6:33 PM
One more cause it was fun........

Looks like just the goblet for that two faced version of Andy that was floating around a while back.

Lee DeRaud
04-01-2006, 7:03 PM
Entry #2: 3"H x 1.75"D.
Made out of black palm. This stuff should come with a warning label, because I'm pretty sure it's intended for turners a bit further up the learning curve that I am: it has some of the same odd variable-hardness and brittleness that I so deeply despise in zebrawood.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 7:15 PM
Beautiful goblet Lee..........Like that wood!

John Hart
04-01-2006, 7:32 PM
Never seen that before Lee. Certainly seems worth the hassle though....that's very pretty stuff.:)

Keith Burns
04-01-2006, 8:05 PM
Lee, that is way COOL:) :)

Don Baer
04-01-2006, 8:35 PM
Way to cool Lee. Much better then the boring piece of Euclytus I'm messing with..

doug webb
04-01-2006, 9:20 PM
Might have been difficult to turn but the results speak for themselves. great, Lee

Jeff Horton
04-01-2006, 9:22 PM
I was pretty well pleased with this for a first attempt then I took the time to look at the last few pages of this thread. I am still well pleased for a first attempt however. Just not AS impressed as i was with myself. :rolleyes:

Black(?) loctus I found in a pasture. I started cutting and found out it was hollow and thought it would be good for tool handles. I REALLY like turning this stuff! Got to find me some more.

It rather small at 1 7/9 x 3" tall. Base came out a bit to heavy I think. It looked good till I got it parted off and saw it vertically.

PS Forgot to mention that the walls on the cup are 1/16" thick. I like thin walls. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2006, 9:28 PM
Jeff.......nice goblet! You should be pleased with yourself! I really like that wood!........I was turning a goblet the other day and the cup launched on me. The stem had a place that had either a large insect larva pocket or a rotted place right in the middle of the stem. You did a good job turning that wicked little place on the side. Good work!

Cody Colston
04-01-2006, 10:26 PM
This is more a cup than a goblet. It's Catalpa wood, 4 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" at the widest point. Finished with BLO and CA glue outside, lacquer inside.

Chris Barton
04-01-2006, 10:58 PM
This is more a cup than a goblet. It's Catalpa wood, 4 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" at the widest point. Finished with BLO and CA glue outside, lacquer inside.

Hi Cody,

That's a very cool cup, kind of like what you would drink Meade from. When I was growing up Catalpa tree were very coveted, by fishermen for the catapillars that frequented them in the spring!

Cody Colston
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi Cody,

That's a very cool cup, kind of like what you would drink Meade from. When I was growing up Catalpa tree were very coveted, by fishermen for the catapillars that frequented them in the spring!

Thanks Chris.

The caterpillers are still coveted for fish bait. Frozen, they sell for about 10 cents apiece around here. BTW, if they are blanched before freezing they retain their green color when thawed. If not, they turn black. :)

Curt Fuller
04-01-2006, 11:37 PM
This is going to be my entry to the Old Geezer Goblet Gathering. I've always wanted to learn to make captive rings so I've been practicing with a new tool I made for parting them off. This is Zebrawood with two captive rings, interlocked. 6.75" x 1.75"

Lee I must have gotten lucky with this piece of Zebrawood, it turned pretty nice. That Black Palm is pretty neat looking wood. You did a nice job on it.

Lee DeRaud
04-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Lee I must have gotten lucky with this piece of Zebrawood, it turned pretty nice.I haven't even thought about turning it: had enough trouble just routing rabbets for a couple of picture frames. Turned out ok, but boy what a PITA.

Barry Stratton
04-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Man are there some impressive goblets being posted!

Okay, here's try number 2 from this rookie, I think I've got the bottom two spots in the contest locked up now.

Found an old, dry cedar fence post chunk. turned like brittle styrofoam with chips and chunks a flyin', but at least this one looks more like a goblet. About 5" tall, 3+ wide.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Barry.......You are a natural turner! Great job!...........I don't know Bud....I think maybe I've got last place sewed up!

Curt Fuller
04-02-2006, 12:59 AM
This isn't exactly a goblet but it serves the same purpose without so many refills. Not new either.

John Hart
04-02-2006, 8:19 AM
I can't get over all the nice pieces that are showing up...And we still have 2 weeks left!!! Ken Fitzgerald is going to have a heck of a time creating the Judging thread!!!!!:D

I'm especially impressed with the number and quality of the new turner's pieces. Goblets are not that easy but ya'll seem to have the knack.

Hey Curt....Thanks for doing a coffee cup! (I collect coffee cups) Pretty cool handle method. Is it drinkable?

04-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I got down to the Dungeon today, been fighting a cold all week, so I took it easy today.

I had a chunk of VERY dry hard fir all glued up on a glue block, so I tried to make a goblet.

I also tried to do a ring. I took one of my 4 parting tools, a short cheapy, and ground it to make a ring tool, of sorts.

I was all going great, I was just about ready to cut the ring off and it went crack..... :(

man that made me shake my head!

Maybe in hardwood it would be easier?

Anyways, this is the result, not much really, just what was left over, sanded to #180 and buffed with wax.

My kids liked it.... :D

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Stu......Your skills are improving with each one! And as a added bonus, you're developing new skills and trying new techniques! I like your goblet!

04-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks Ken.

I just wish that ring had not gone pop, that would have been cool to do!

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
04-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Stu - For captive rings you really do need to use a hardwood with a tight grain. Of course, when one splits open like that it reveals the secret to making interlocking captive rings.

04-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Andy, I was going to ask how they did that... :D

Cheers!

Ernie Nyvall
04-02-2006, 11:36 AM
This isn't exactly a goblet but it serves the same purpose without so many refills. Not new either.

Never saw a segmented cup before. Nice.

Man are there a bunch of nice goblets in this thing. Hope to get one done.

Ernie

John Hart
04-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Nice work Stu...Yep...glue 'er back together. You'll never see the crack.:)

Frank Chaffee
04-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Stu - ...Of course, when one splits open like that it reveals the secret to making interlocking captive rings.
Darn, I had always thought that was some special application of darkside turner magic.
Please warn me if you guys are about to talk about Santa or the tooth fairy.
Thanks,
Frank

04-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Nice work Stu...Yep...glue 'er back together. You'll never see the crack.:)
Well, I tried that.

I finished breaking it loose (by hand) and then glued it with yellow glue, then taped it to the cup part. left it that way for 30+ minutes, and did some tool building (see the other thread) went back and tried to touch it up and sand it a bit, it blew up into about 30 pieces :D (I like full face shields).

Oh well, try on some hard wood.

Cheers!

David Fried
04-02-2006, 2:31 PM
Decided the time had come to try my hand at a goblet. The first thing I needed was some wood. I spotted this beauty next to the road on my way home from the dump.
Maybe I should stop picking up hitchhikers!

I figured it was spalted but didn't realize it was buggy or wormy or something. I did manage to split it in quarters using a maul and turned half of a piece into a globlet. It's 7" tall and 2.75" in diameter. The stem is just under 3/8". I through some BLO on it to finish.

John Hart
04-02-2006, 2:44 PM
Hey...That has lots of character Dave! Fine Goblet from Wormy Spalted Dunno Wood!!:)

doug webb
04-02-2006, 2:49 PM
Stu.........Nice goblet....I have found that it is better to make several rings on the stem, even if you just want to wind up with one. You can always remove the extras and you have a spare when the 'whoops' happens.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2006, 2:50 PM
Excellent goblet Dave....I'll bet that wormy wood was a booger to work!.....Are you aware that the Dunno wood grows prolifically on this and all continents?:rolleyes: :eek: :D

David Fried
04-02-2006, 3:08 PM
Excellent goblet Dave....I'll bet that wormy wood was a booger to work!.....Are you aware that the Dunno wood grows prolifically on this and all continents?:rolleyes: :eek: :D

I stopped to look at the goblet and thought I saw a catch mark. Then I realized it was worm tracks. Luckily the little boogers had vacated the premises before I started turning. Yuck! :eek:

Someone else mentioned things looking OK when the piece was horizontal on the lathe but different when the piece was off and vertical. Now I understand! The base looked fine on the lathe but looks heavy to me now that the goblet is standing up. At least it doesn't topple over! :rolleyes:

I've pretty much stopped trying to ID my found wood at least beyond it's hardwood! ;)

I wasn't able to turn the inside with a spindle gouge. (I need to review how that's done) I used the upside down bowl gouge method - worked like a charm!!:D

04-02-2006, 3:27 PM
Stu.........Nice goblet....I have found that it is better to make several rings on the stem, even if you just want to wind up with one. You can always remove the extras and you have a spare when the 'whoops' happens.

Thanks Doug, that was the thrid try at a ring on that goblet, and the only one that came close to being a ring ;) :D

One ring to rule them!

Going to try on some hard wood.

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2006, 3:38 PM
Well here is my entry into Mr. Fitzgerald/Hart goblet contest. Or should it be Old Geezer/Horsey Hart contest. It is ash and walnut. Came out pretty good for my first one ever.

John Hart
04-02-2006, 3:45 PM
ooooh...Looky there...A cool shiney goblet sitting on a shiney new lathe!!

Nice Bernie!:)

Curt Fuller
04-02-2006, 5:46 PM
I can't get over all the nice pieces that are showing up...And we still have 2 weeks left!!! Ken Fitzgerald is going to have a heck of a time creating the Judging thread!!!!!:D

I'm especially impressed with the number and quality of the new turner's pieces. Goblets are not that easy but ya'll seem to have the knack.

Hey Curt....Thanks for doing a coffee cup! (I collect coffee cups) Pretty cool handle method. Is it drinkable?

It's more like a coffee pot John. I think it holds about a quart. I took the picture from an angle that hides the join between the handle and the mug because it's a terrible fit.

David Fried
04-02-2006, 7:37 PM
It is ash and walnut. Came out pretty good for my first one ever.

First ever !!?? and it's Ash & Walnut - Hey, did you sneak off to the Steve Ash School of Gobleteering?? :D

Very nice Bernie. In the pictures it appears you turned it around to clean up the foot. I just might try that!

Nice woods, great finish, - heck, I even like the lathe!!

04-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Real nice Job Bernie!

What kind of chuck is that?

Joe Tonich
04-03-2006, 1:15 AM
Well, since there ain't no rules on WHEN ya turned it, and since I haven't been able to turn in a while and it looks like it's gonna be a while till I can..................Here's mine.

I turned this little curly maple goblet for a distant cousin's wedding present. It was about 6" high by around 2" wide. It was also the first goblet I've ever turned.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice goblet Joe! I like the curl in that maple!

Paul Douglass
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I have been sitting here for an hour going through all of these pages of entries. All I can say is WOW!!! Nice turning all of you! I think I will go try to make a goblet out of the bonker I tried to make!

Lee DeRaud
04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I think I will go try to make a goblet out of the bonker I tried to make!I could have sworn we had a specific rule against recycling entries from the bonker contest...:p

David Fried
04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I could have sworn we had a specific rule against recycling entries from the bonker contest...:p

Can I drill out the stem on my next goblet and enter it in both the goblet competition and the funnel challange?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Just be sure to classify it as a "leaky" goblet.......or a two handed goblet....one hand to hold it and one finger on the other hand to plug the hole......or turn a plug for the hole...........If you do the last ...be sure to post a picture of the turned plug!:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Can I drill out the stem on my next goblet and enter it in both the goblet competition and the funnel challange?Probably need to check with Andy on that one since he's the Funnel King, but I'd say yes...
as long as the outside diameter does not exceed 1/8". :cool: :eek:

Andy Hoyt
04-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Can I drill out the stem on my next goblet and enter it in both the goblet competition and the funnel challange?
Probably need to check with Andy on that one since he's the Funnel King, but I'd say yes...
as long as the outside diameter does not exceed 1/8". :cool: :eek:
The rules posted in the challenge cannot be modified.

I deem David's design concept acceptable since "all styles" are permissable.

Thanks, FK

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2006, 2:12 PM
Real nice Job Bernie!

What kind of chuck is that?

Stu that is a chuck from PSI. I bought one from Grizzly for half the price and they are the same chuck. I can't tell any difference between the two. One is $79 at PSI and $42.50 at Grizzly.

04-03-2006, 2:30 PM
Great, that is the one I have on order from Grizzly!

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 1:40 AM
So here's my humble entry. You've seen this piece before (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29037) (post #8) and as such it has provenance; which ought to count for a few bonus points. And it also has a future, as indicated here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30455). Look for post #134 on page 11 and this ought to be worth at least a double word score.

It's a chunk of Buckeye sent by John Hart. I turned it right away since it was soaking wet and have never had more fun. If you've never spun a piece of this stuff you are truly missing a great pleasure.

The chunk John sent was actually considerably bigger than the finished size, and I attribute the loss in size to having way too much fun roughing it. She's about 8½ inches tall and 6½ inches wide. The vessel portion is mostly ⅛th inch thick but gets a bit thicker down towards the bottom. It has three coats of Arm-R-Seal and was then buffed ala Beall.
35663 35664 35665

Barry Stratton
04-04-2006, 1:50 AM
Now that is a goblet fit for a Conqueror!

Well done, I love the size (and shape, finish, etc.....).

John Hart
04-04-2006, 6:44 AM
Wow...that turned out really nice Mr Hoyt! Done good.;) :)

David Fried
04-04-2006, 7:20 AM
Very nice Andy! It has a brandy snifter feel to it. I like the detail on the stem and foot as well as the overall shape. Looks even thinner than you indicate. I do like that Buckeye, color, grain and all. Great job!

Ron Ainge
04-04-2006, 1:05 PM
God work Andy I like the size and shape. I guess if you can only have one drink a night I want to drink form that goblet:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2006, 1:31 PM
Very nice Andy. I like the shape and finish.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2006, 2:11 PM
As usual Andy......................Excellent!

Frank Chaffee
04-04-2006, 2:57 PM
So here's my humble entry.
Andy,
While your presentation of the entry may indeed be humbly performed, the piece itself is magnificent.
Frank

John Miliunas
04-04-2006, 3:14 PM
Andy, that is truly "KICK-BUTT"!!! :D "Magnificent" is almost an understatement! Job well done, my friend. Very, very well done! :) :cool:

Jim Dunn
04-04-2006, 7:59 PM
Very nice Andy. I could almost take up drinking again with such a mug/goblet.

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 8:52 PM
Thanks, fellers. Glad you liked it. Gonna be tough to part with it, but as soon as John finds more buckeye for me (hint hint) I can have a do-over!

John Hart
04-04-2006, 9:04 PM
....How Big?

Pete Jordan
04-04-2006, 9:16 PM
You did the wood honor!
Great Job!

Pete

Steve Ash
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
First ever !!?? and it's Ash & Walnut - Hey, did you sneak off to the Steve Ash School of Gobleteering?? :D

I go away for a while and I miss this....good one! :D

And some very impressive stuff you guys are making. Very very nice. :cool:

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 10:20 PM
35752Well Here it is.

First turning off of the new Lathe
First Goblet
First time using Euclyptus
First time using friction polish.

The picture doesn't do the wood justice
Even LOML said that the grain is pretty.

David Fried
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Great job Don!
Glad to see you got your new lathe and tools reunited and put to good use!

Andy Hoyt
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Don - Excellent first one!

John - BIG!

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Don great looking goblet. Nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Way to go Don! Beautiful goblet!

John Hart
04-05-2006, 6:39 AM
Nice Goin' Don. I like working with eucalyptus but the stuff I get sure moves a lot. Sheesh...I'm almost out of time...I gotta get my goblet done!:o

Bob Noles
04-05-2006, 7:23 AM
Nice Goin' Don. I like working with eucalyptus but the stuff I get sure moves a lot. Sheesh...I'm almost out of time...I gotta get my goblet done!:o

No hurry John..... you done been beat :D

Don Baer
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM

John,
It was a lot of fun to turn. This is a small limb I rescued from my neighbors firewood pile. It been air dried for at least 2 years. I am going to contact his firewood supplier as a possible source for turning blanks..:D
hmmm may be I can become the John Hart turning blank supplier of the west.:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
04-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Nice looking Goblets everyone! Been a while since I looked at this post
& was wondering how many ringed goblets would show up...

Mike Burkeen
04-06-2006, 8:20 AM
Another Geezer/Lurker chimes in with a goblet ... Or as my wife sys an egg holder. She is made of a piece of Cypress I had laying around. The cypress turned easily but had quite a bit of tearout, nothing the old 80 grit Scraper wouldnt take care of. This is my second attempt at a goblet and this one seemed easier and the proportions came out a little better.

David Fried
04-06-2006, 8:26 AM
Mike,

That practicing paid off!
Nice lines, nice proportions, and nice finishing!
The egg looks a little big - you might want to work on that ;)

John Hart
04-06-2006, 8:36 AM
Yup...pretty nice Mike. I especially like the curve you acheived on the stem to the base. I've really been trying hard to get that....and you got it.:)

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 8:46 AM
That's a good one, Mike. Lurk less, post often!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 9:58 AM
Nice goblet Mike!

04-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Mike, nice one, funny, my kids thought my first one was an egg holder too :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Charles Hans
04-06-2006, 2:42 PM
I had some time last night so I tried this one out, it's 4" high 3" diameter with a 3/32" wall thickness, the stem is 3/8" a little thick I think but it's already done

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 2:48 PM
Very nice goblet Charles .........is that cherry?

Charles Hans
04-06-2006, 3:01 PM
Thanks Ken The wood is air dried black walnut from a tree that was in the back yard where I grew up in Louisville.

Jim Davenport
04-06-2006, 3:11 PM
Well the "vortex" is not only slippery, it's also addictive!:eek:
Here's my humble entry for the Geezers goblets.
I really love that Rikon.
This is made out of a piece of maple from the Woodcraft hardwood grab box. It doesn't compare to some of the great stuff posted so far, but I'm proud of it.
It's about 6" tall, 3" in diameter. The stem is about a 1/2" I thought about making the stem thinner, but it was going so well, I didn't want to press my luck. The wall tapers down from 3/16" to 1/32". Again it's sanded with 320, finished with wax, and buffed Ala Richard Raffan's book and video.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 3:19 PM
That entry is not humbled! Great goblet!

Don Baer
04-06-2006, 3:51 PM
Great Goblet. Keep em comming..

Curt Fuller
04-06-2006, 4:45 PM
This is becoming a goblet hall of fame. I think its always interesting to see how many interpretations there are from a single word like "goblet".
(ghttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/obreve.gifbhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.giflhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gift)
n.

A drinking vessel, such as a glass, that has a stem and base.
Archaic. A drinking bowl without handles.<HR align=left width="25%">
[Middle English<TT> gobelet</TT>, from Old French, diminutive of<TT> gobel</TT>, cup, probably of Celtic origin.]

Scott Donley
04-06-2006, 5:11 PM
Well. I might as well post this, if only to make the rest of you look REALLY good ! I have now done 2 bonkers, some pens, and a goblet (if you can call it that). 3 pieces of 4/4 maple glued up with tung oil finish. I did learn a lot from trying this though. It is time for something to sharpen my tools, some tools, and wood. Other than that I have it all under control :) Thanks to you all for making my life a lot more frustrating and expensive

Don Baer
04-06-2006, 5:14 PM
Hey Scott that one looks great. Kep on posting. Ain't it fun this obsesion of ours. :D

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 5:40 PM
Nice one, Scott. If you hadn't said it was a glue-up, I'd never have known.

Do more!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 5:50 PM
Looks great Scott. I can't tell it is a glue up. I think you did some mighty fine work on it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 6:17 PM
Excellent goblet Scott! Now just relax..........enjoy the Abyss!:rolleyes:

David Fried
04-06-2006, 7:31 PM
Thanks to you all for making my life a lot more frustrating and expensive

That's what we're here for Scott.:eek:
Oh, very nice goblet! :D

Jim Stoppleworth
04-06-2006, 7:41 PM
Here's a walnut goblet made from a scrap of walnut from a peepermill blank. Does 64 qualify as an old geezer?:D

Jim

04-06-2006, 7:50 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to give this game another spin....

Very nice goblet Scott! :D

Don Baer
04-06-2006, 8:03 PM
Jim that one real purty.. Nice shape and finish is outstanding

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2006, 8:26 PM
Jim you got it. That walnut is awesome. You gotta love walnut. Nice fit and finish. Great job.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2006, 8:28 PM
Jim....that goblet..........as good as it gets! Fantastic! ......old..........naw.....young at heart!

John Hart
04-07-2006, 7:01 AM
Geez...I step out for a few hours and look what happens...Jim, Charles, Scott, Jim.....Wow! Wonderful pieces you's guys!!!!:)

David Fried
04-07-2006, 7:49 AM
Jim,

In recognition of the wonderful goblet you turned
we will make you an honorary old geezer!

Well done!! Really pretty!!!

Andy Hoyt
04-07-2006, 9:44 AM
.... Does 64 qualify as an old geezer?:D Jim According to my daughter - anyone over the age of 30 qualifies.

Which means that you're a Double Geezer:D

Jeff Horton
04-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I am just a middle aged geezer but I tried my hand at one more. Nailed the lines I wanted but now that is is vertical I see it needs to be taller. I have a BEAUTIFUL peice of plumb drying right now. Hopefully it will dry in time for me to enter it in the contest. I think it has the right sizes to look like what is in my head.

Anyway, this one is foundwood. Found in my pasture. Didn't realize there was anything this large in the burn pile but I cut several blanks out of it. Very yellow wood and BIG growth rings. Very fast growing what ever it is. Sure turns nice!

Erin Raasch
04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Here's a walnut goblet made from a scrap of walnut from a peepermill blank. Does 64 qualify as an old geezer?:D

Jim

I have a real weakness for walnut . . . must be because of its resemblance to chocolate! Very nice goblet - great form and great color.

Erin

Curt Fuller
04-08-2006, 12:36 AM
According to my daughter - anyone over the age of 30 qualifies.

I seem to remember my daughter having that attitude a few years back. She just turned 30 about a week ago, I'll have to ask her if she's changed her perspective.

04-08-2006, 4:02 AM
I seem to remember my daughter having that attitude a few years back. She just turned 30 about a week ago, I'll have to ask her if she's changed her perspective.

Oh Curt, that is so mean.... :D

Wanna bet you just get one of "Those" looks....? ;) :D

Jim Stoppleworth
04-08-2006, 5:08 AM
According to my daughter - anyone over the age of 30 qualifies.

As of Tuesday all the kids are now at least 30, I'll have to check if I still remain on Double Geezer status?:D

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2006, 8:41 AM
As far as geezers go.....My oldest son....age 40.....yesterday he came by to borrow Bruiser...my 1-ton Ford to haul home his new lawnmower. He had received a small cash gift from his maternal grandmother to purchase a "housewarming" gift for his new home. He was using it to buy a new much needed lawnmower. He said all the guys at the sheriff's dept were giving him a tough time .......he must be getting old....when you look forward to getting a new lawnmower!:D Dad's getting his revenge without saying or doing a thing!:D :D

Jeff Horton
04-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I guess I am older than I thought then. :o I got really excited when I sold the tractors and bought the new Toro commercial Zero turn mower!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-11-2006, 2:19 AM
Time has slipped away. I just finished this tonight. It's Honey Locust - 5-1/4" tall X 2" diameter. Usual finish. Tried for an undercut on the bead, so it would look like a small bowl on top of a mushroom. Kind of worked.

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce;)

PS: the bottom is not sanded yet.

John Hart
04-11-2006, 7:03 AM
Cool!!! I've been thinking about undercuts for several days now Bruce. So nice of you to illustrate it for us. Time slipping away is right!!! I better get my butt in gear!!

Not tonight though...My boss gave me tickets for 4 perfect seats at the Mariners-Indians game and I'm taking the family to the ballgame. I'll have to do my goblet tomorrow. Gettin' down to the wire!!

Don Orr
04-12-2006, 9:50 PM
Like Bruce, I just made this tonight for the contest. Catalpa with some curly figure about 9" high by 2" diameter at the rim. The bowl is about 4" deep. Nothing real fancy, I wanted to go for a kind of champagne flute look. Watco oil, still wet.

I may not be very old but I'm still a geezer!:D

Scott Donley
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Like Bruce, I just made this tonight for the contest. Catalpa with some curly figure about 9" high by 2" diameter at the rim. The bowl is about 4" deep. Nothing real fancy, I wanted to go for a kind of champagne flute look. Watco oil, still wet.

I may not be very old but I'm still a geezer!:DNothing fancy, right :) , and my dog does not like his tennis balls ! Nice job ! And Bruce, thanks for showing your bottom ( Andy will have a good time with that:) ) I thought mine was wrong having not seen a unfinished bottom before. Man, that just sounds bad ! I better go, great goblet Bruce !

Andy Hoyt
04-12-2006, 11:44 PM
....... Andy will have a good time with that..... No he won't! His eyes are burning, got bile rising, and he feels like he has to go boot a Buick.

Scott Donley
04-13-2006, 12:03 AM
No he won't! His eyes are burning, got bile rising, and he feels like he has to go boot a Buick.And then there is LEE :) Forgot about California. :)

Keith Burns
04-15-2006, 10:13 PM
OK, it looks like I made the deadline, just barely. My entry for the old geezers, and boy do I feel and look like one . This one is Walnut about 2" tall and 1" dia. Thanks Guys.

John Hart
04-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Down to the wire!!! Way to go Keith. I never did do another one.:o I guess my unfinished goblet has to stand as an entry.

That's a very pretty little cup Keith!!!:)

Jeff Horton
04-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Last night I pulled out the roughed plum goblet I had making for the contest. My intent was to finish it for the contest, I had soaked it and wrapped it letting it dry. I came back a few hours latter and the wood had a HUGE nasty split in it. I guess it wasn't dry after all.

Was a beautiful piece of wood too. Had practiced and had my shape in mind and was so ready for the contest. Oh well.........

Andy Hoyt
04-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Good idea Andy !:D Now then, if I post my last entry at 11:59 pm on the 15th, then disqualify yours at the last second, maybe I could win. Yeah, that 'il work:p Look like ya jumped the gun there, Kieth.

Curt Fuller
04-16-2006, 1:27 AM
I guess one of the advantages of being in a more western time zone is that I can still post while the contest is over for a lot of you. It's now about 11:18 PM Mountain Daylight Savings Time. But there's also a saying that goes around here that says "Welcome to Utah, set your clocks back 20 years". So between the two I think I can still post my one more goblet.

This one is Zebrawood with a 60/40 split of heartwood and sapwood.
6 1/4" tall, 1 7/8 diameter with a couple interlocked captive rings. The cup is about the size of a shot glass.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-16-2006, 2:18 AM
So that ANDY can feel comfortable looking at the "UNDERSIDE" of my goblet, I have Dressed it in French Polish, which has nothing to do with french smoochin'".

John Hart
04-16-2006, 9:00 AM
Okie Dokie...A bunch of fine Entries!!!!!:D We have 44 separate entries in this contest and I have offloaded all of them to my little Pikchure Workshoppe. I will reformat them and create 5 separate polling threads where everyone on SMC can vote.

The voting will be set up in two Heats:
The polls will be set up so you can vote for as many entries as you like and at the end of the "First Heat", we'll grab the top ten and let everyone vote for just one in the "Finals".

With the holiday and other stuff I have to do...this might take me a day. Patience is a virtue.....or sumpin' like that.:rolleyes:

Keith Burns
04-16-2006, 9:32 AM
I guess one of the advantages of being in a more western time zone is that I can still post while the contest is over for a lot of you. It's now about 11:18 PM Mountain Daylight Savings Time. But there's also a saying that goes around here that says "Welcome to Utah, set your clocks back 20 years". So between the two I think I can still post my one more goblet.

This one is Zebrawood with a 60/40 split of heartwood and sapwood.
6 1/4" tall, 1 7/8 diameter with a couple interlocked captive rings. The cup is about the size of a shot glass.

Curt, this one was worth the wait ! Very striking, excellent goblet:) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Very very nice Curt! I like that zebrawood!

Scott Donley
04-16-2006, 12:02 PM
43 entries of pure inspirations. Thanks to all for all the great work.!!! When your kinda new to this spinny stuff it is great to be able to see what can be done :) (although a bit frustrating also )

04-16-2006, 2:28 PM
Hot off the C-man lathe.........

I know I'm a bit late here, but I'm in Japan............ :rolleyes:

Don't worry, you don't have to include this entry in the voting, I just wanted to show you all that I did manage to make a captive ring!

My homemade captive ring tool sucks, I need to refine it....

The inside of the ring is a little rough, but I'm happy with it, the kids think it is cool, so there you go. :)

The wood is Beech, a glue up of two pieces, sanded to #240, waxed and polished, it is about 5" tall.

It was fun to turn.

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2006, 2:41 PM
Stu........you are really coming along on the lathe! Excellent goblet!

Since I'm one of the originators of this contest and I hope John jumps in too.........I think we ought to let Stu's late entry be entered because of the delay in getting his lathe and close the entries as of now.

Anybody opposed.......then we won't allow it but.......since this really is an informal thing......I'd like to let Stu's Dungeon entry be entered

Comments from other contestants?

04-16-2006, 2:49 PM
Thanks Ken, if you like, you could remove one of my earlier entries......... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

John Hart
04-16-2006, 2:55 PM
Nonsense. As a matter of fact, since it's gonna take me til midnight tonight getting all the entries posted for voting....if anyone wants to sneak in while I'm out having dinner right now....please go right ahead.

No Stu...We'll keep 'em all.:)