PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls plane value?

Dan Forman
03-28-2006, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't ordinarily be asking this sort of question, as I bought this plane as a user, but now I'm wondering. I recently aquired (from eBay) a #17 block plane, which, to my surprise, has never been used, or even sharpened. They stopped making this one in 1965, so it's over 40 years old, don't know how to date it any closer. It didn't come with a box.

I was just about to sharpen it and give it a try, when I thought I might first find out what it might be worth given it's pristine condition. Any ideas? It seems to be a well made piece, qhite heavy and substantial.

Dan

Mike Wenzloff
03-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi Dan,

The MF block planes--indeed planes--are not typically rare. The main exception are the Buck Rogers versions of the handplanes. MF stuff sells for more in Europe for some reason, but not significantly.

They are great users, though. Enjoy it.

Take care, Mike

Alice Frampton
03-29-2006, 2:41 AM
MF stuff sells for more in Europe for some reason Probably because they are typically rare over here? :D Cheers, Alf

Michael Morin dit Boucher
03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Dan,

I would simply sharpen it and use it. Millers Falls are great planes. I generally start the sharpening using my sharpening wheel with water. Once I achieve the desired result I keep most of my tools sharp with a single cut bastard file....a few strokes is all you need once you get it sharpened.

have fun.:cool:

Mike Henderson
03-29-2006, 1:04 PM
Regarding the value of the plane, EBay is about as good as you can get for "fair market value". You have people from around the world evaluating the plane and placing a value on it. Whatever you paid for it is probably the actual value.

The only caveat is if the seller did not accurately describe the plane, but even then, people who know planes will recognize what it really is.

Things that appear to be the same often sell for different prices, but that's generally because two (or more) people put a high value on it and bid the price up. If only one person puts a high value on it, they will purchase it for one increment over the next lower value. Luck of the draw.

Mike

Dan Forman
03-29-2006, 1:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I was just checking to see if there was an appreciable difference between nearly new and unused. I did see a nearly new one on an old tool website listed at $79, which is what got me thinking. But then his Bedrocks were over $200 too. I paid around $30 for this one, and feel it's a pretty good deal.

Dan

Mike Wenzloff
03-29-2006, 1:49 PM
That is a good deal, Dan. Every bit as good as a new block plane for a considerable savings!

Take care, Mike