PDA

View Full Version : Project finished, a painting thing not fine woodworking

Kyle Stiefel
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Here are a few pics of my recent tv stand, it took numerous weeks because I simply had no love for the project. I finally finished it because I wouldn't let myself start on anything else until it was completed.

Wood- common pine
Construction - pocket joinery
Paint- crackled milk paint

Have a good day.
Kyle

Brett Baldwin
03-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Kyle, the tone of your post is of distaste, almost disgust. I can't say it would go with anything in my house but it certainly isn't a bad piece. That crackle finish is a pretty neat effect.
There must have been something you learned while doing this project. If nothing else, you should have learned that if you had finished it quicker, you could have done more things you actually wanted to do by now. As a master procrastinator, I can assure you that putting off an undesired project mostly just keeps it in your mind longer than necessary.

Kyle Stiefel
03-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Kyle, the tone of your post is of distaste, almost disgust. I can't say it would go with anything in my house but it certainly isn't a bad piece. That crackle finish is a pretty neat effect.
There must have been something you learned while doing this project. If nothing else, you should have learned that if you had finished it quicker, you could have done more things you actually wanted to do by now. As a master procrastinator, I can assure you that putting off an undesired project mostly just keeps it in your mind longer than necessary.

Brett,

As I read through my post it does sound rather negative so I do apologize, it was not intended to be so. This was a project to keep the wife happy and it was my first crackle paint so that was interesting. That being said I do try to do something on each project which I have not tried before. Luckily, our house is a mix or eclectic mismatch of things so a trend doesn't really exist. Back to the garage for some fun.

Kyle

Corey Hallagan
03-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Kyle, nice job, the paint treatment looks good and looks like some pretty good wood working as well!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Kyle, I can understand the feeling of working on something that your heart's not into, but on the plus side, it's done and you can get on to more interesting projects. The blue paint's not really my cuppa joe, but if your boss likes it, then it's perfect. The crackle finish looks pretty cool, too.

- Vaughn

ROBERT ELLIS
03-31-2006, 9:50 PM
Kyle, I know the feeling of having to do something your "heart's" not really into. There was some numerous cherry pieces (when I was woodworking full time) over the years that I really grimaced over when I got an order for.

I on the other hand enjoyed it when I got an order for a "distressed" piece of furniture, especially if it was to be painted a couple different colors, crackled and distressed; this type of finishing can (if you let it or want it to be) become very artistic.

On your piece, did you wipe on and off a dark glaze after the paint job? That one little step adds years of aging. You can also topcoat with a finish (over the glaze and paint) to achieve a beautiful finish! Just a few tidbits of info, for what their worth...

Robert

Kyle Stiefel
04-01-2006, 2:51 AM
[quote=ROBERT ELLIS
On your piece, did you wipe on and off a dark glaze after the paint job? That one little step adds years of aging. You can also topcoat with a finish (over the glaze and paint) to achieve a beautiful finish! Just a few tidbits of info, for what their worth...

Robert[/quote]

Robert,
No I didn't wipe on and off a dark glaze. I didn't have access to any glaze up here because I hadn't picked any up before flying back in. I would like to try or I still can once I get back to the land non air mail freight. I didn't put a topcoat on mainly so I could change things in the future. I think this is a piece that isn't subjected to any of the elements most likely.

Thanks,
Kyle