PDA

View Full Version : you find the darnest things in wood

Jeff Horton
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
No photos but I picked up a 6-7" log of aromatic cedar out of the neighbors pasture to play with. Cut it in peices and heard something. After a little investigation I discovered my cedar was the winter home to at least a dozen carpenter bees! Thank godness it was still cool weather.:o

John Hart
03-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Shoulda put it on the lathe and taken them buggers for a ride!!! Woo Hoo!

Abyssal Entomology at its best!:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Yes Jeff it is a good thing it is still cool. Of course as John said put'em on the lathe and take'em for a spin.:eek: :eek: :D :D

Andy Hoyt
03-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Hey now! Carpenters are woodworkers too. Be nice to them flatlanders.

Dick Strauss
03-30-2006, 12:21 AM
It reminds me of a story my old roomie told me...he was 7yo growing up in VT and found a "empty" paper wasp nest the size of a watermelon during Winter. He decided to bring it into the warm house to show his mom what he found. The warm air caused the wasps to waken from their slumber and the rest is history...:)

Dennis Peacock
03-30-2006, 9:37 AM
Jeff,

In warmer weather, that could have been very interesting. :rolleyes:

On the same topic.....I got a piece of walnut from Bobby Hatfield about 3 years ago in the form of some turning stock. It was already cut into a turning blank, so I mounted it up and started turning. After about 3 minutes of turning on that section, I noticed that it started "strobing" at me from my overhead light.

Before I was all done with that piece? I dug out 71 bullets.:eek: