PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo Pocket Watch

John Hart
03-28-2006, 9:29 PM
This is a first for me. Not much to say. It's a pocket watch. I think I'll carry it in my pocket!:)

Michael Stafford
03-28-2006, 9:32 PM
Lovely John, I think it needs a fob and that fob should be attached to MY waistcoat....;)

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 9:32 PM
SWEET John, that is very kewl!!

Corey

Frank Parker
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
That's cool, I love Cocobolo, but I'm afraid my turning cocobolo days are over, every time I turn it my face and neck starts itching and it seems to be getting worse. Maybe I'll get a bio-hazzard suit so I can keep turning it.
Frank

Dale Thompson
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi John,
I REALLY love Cocobola! :) I like it even more when it is masterfully turned into a piece of "forever" jewelry! If I were you, I would NOT carry that "jem" in my pocket. I would get a gold chain and, for the FIRST time in my life, wear a necklace. :)

NOW, John, is that REALLY a watch or is it an alarm clock to remind you to take those "meds" for your "pain" of a couple days ago? NAW! I'm sure that all the sympathy you got from your Forum "buddies" totally cured you of all ills! ;) :)

I certainly HOPE that it is NOT an alarm clock. :( Those things make NOISE! :mad: It seems to me that I remember a quote from some old mountain man who was once quoted as saying, "There is nothing wrong with quiet!". :) I can check out the source if you're interested! :cool: ;) :)

Dale T.

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
So that's what you do with a pocket watch. I always thought they were a little big for a wrist. Hey... I'll bet we could call those wrist watches. Okay it's getting late, I'm tired, and it shows.:o

That's a nice watch John.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
This is a first for me. Not much to say. It's a pocket watch. I think I'll carry it in my pocket!:)

That's not just a pocket watch. That's the coolest pocket watch I've seen. Is there a kit available for the tick tock parts? That's really neat!

Tim Beauregard
03-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Beautiful !

I also like how you did the multiple thumbnail pictures box. I'd like to do that in the future and could use a little instruction. Thanks!

Regards,
Tim B.

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Awesome John. That is some great work. You outdid yourself on that one.

Glenn Hodges
03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Now that is a nice job John. I have thought about making me one of those, in fact I find myself thinking about making a lot of things that never get done.

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 11:29 PM
John, do these just use a little 1 3/8 inch clock fit up from the clock suppliers?

corey

Jim Ketron
03-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Nice Job!
Looks Great!

Barry Stratton
03-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Thats nice, John. turn another and you'll have a pair of earrings:D

Andy Hoyt
03-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Nice first step, John.

Now to compete the ensemble you'll need:

Some old granny glasses.
Gain 100 pounds.
Lose 75% of your hair
Get smarter - or at least look smarter.
And a vest with that special pocket.

Benjamin Franklin Horsey Hart

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2006, 12:21 AM
John.....nice watch. Love that detail and wood!

Andy that's Benjamin Franklin Horsey Hart!

John Hart
03-29-2006, 6:39 AM
Thanks Fellers,

Been wanting to do a pocket watch for a while now. Got pushed over the edge after visiting Ken Hertzog a few weeks ago....then I saw a guy making one on the WoodworkingChannel the other day. I get my clock fitups from Woodshed Clocks on that evil auction site for about $4.75 a piece and they are Seiko clocks.

The thing that I was intrigued about mostly was the little details that the demo guy insisted on. This watch was just my first and I wanted to get a feel for the procedure. Gonna do some inlay and other extra goodies on the next ones. Thanks again.

Ben ;)

John Hart
03-29-2006, 6:53 AM
Beautiful !

I also like how you did the multiple thumbnail pictures box. I'd like to do that in the future and could use a little instruction. Thanks!

Regards,
Tim B.

Hey Tim....Try here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31106

It's the Pic Posting Instructions. Piece-o-cake.:)

David Fried
03-29-2006, 7:08 AM
Very nice John, glad to hear you used your down time to watch the Wood channel!

When you were turning it, did you get sleepy, very sleepy, ... ?
Do you suddenly have the urge to cluck like a chicken when the phone rings or to buy a another horsie???

Them pocket watches can be mighty dangerous!!

Can't wait to see the next, fancy one.

Dave Fried

Chris Barton
03-29-2006, 8:32 AM
Nice work John. I had been wondering about turning watches and had been looking at the Klockit catalog and your projects looks like it came right out of their pages.

Keith Burns
03-29-2006, 9:33 AM
Okay, Mr. Horsey Hart whats the deal. You hurt your back so you could turn a watch ? :rolleyes: Anyway, that is an excellent timepiece. Nice wood and nice execution:) :)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-29-2006, 9:56 AM
John, That is a piece of work to be proud of.

I am intrigued by the stem. Can you tell how you fastened the turned knob for the stem to the stem? I assume it was a glue but it must have been difficult to avoid getting it on the stem where it joins the watch. The fit between the turned knob and the body of the watch appears to be perfect. Kudos.

Paul Douglass
03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Very nice John. I love pocket watches, carry one a lot. I was going to jump on Andy for discribing someone that would carry a pocket watch than I looked in the mirror. He discrbed me!!

I've seen those kits and been interested but thought they would be too big and bolky but you'res doesn't look like it would be.

Anyone here made a Yoyo?

Kenneth Hertzog
03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes I make yoyos as well as pocket watches and I realize this is without a picture. I'm at work now but will post a picture of one this eve along with a pocket watch ( just so I don't get into trouble with the picture police) by the way John that is a nice pocket watch. I've made them from just about every type of wood but cocobolo nice design and I like the way you set the watch back in the wood great idea
ken

John Hart
03-29-2006, 1:22 PM
....Can you tell how you fastened the turned knob for the stem to the stem? ....

Don,
I turned the knob with a tapered tenon. It's not tapered the whole way up though. Just enough so I could have a tad bit of a reservoir for the epoxy, then the top of the tenon is the same size as the hole...Also scored up the tenon with a few ridges for holding power....Got plenty of epoxy in there with no squeeze-out.

Keith....I found that turning actually makes my neck and back feel better. It also makes me smile.:)

Ken...The guy that demoed his watches on the woodworking channel suggested the recessed clockface. He also suggested the concaved back with a couple of small ridges for character and to make it pleasant to fondle. I'm glad you sparked my interest again!!!

Thanks everyone.:)

Dale Thompson
03-29-2006, 7:41 PM
John,
The beautiful pocket watch of yours reminded me of a pocket watch that I have which belonged to my grandfather! I would guess that he carried it just about every day for the last 50 years of his life. I remember him pulling it out about ten times a day when I was a kid. He died at 96! :) MAN! That makes it REALLY old! :o :D

Anyway, that "piece" hasn't seen the light of day in years but I would like to change that by encasing it in a Cocobola "frame" like yours. I'm going to give it some thought and see how, or if, I can deal with the "original" stem. :confused: :eek:

Thanks for switching on the light bulb! :) :D

Dale T.

John Hart
03-29-2006, 7:50 PM
Hey...that's a cool idea Dale! Do you have pics of your Grandfathers watch?

Dale Thompson
03-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey...that's a cool idea Dale! Do you have pics of your Grandfathers watch?

John,
Thanks for asking! :) From a darkened back closet shelf but protected with one of those bell-shaped glass display units, I found the watch. :) With a bit of winding, it started right off. I would guess that it is just as accurate as it was back in the days when grandpa required PRECISION! :cool: Come to think of it, he was almost as mean of an old coot as I am TODAY! ;) :)

The watch is .465" thick, 1.790" in diameter and 2.103" in height including the winding knob. The face has a very small "ELGIN" written on it. The name rings a bell. :) :cool:

Dale T.

Paul Douglass
03-29-2006, 11:47 PM
What an awesome watch. Be gentle, the wood is a great idea,but don't hurt that watch.

Dick Strauss
03-30-2006, 12:01 AM
John,
I don't know how you find the time to do so many beautiful turnings. You must get just a few hours of sleep a night with all that you do.

You've got one nice heirloom there buddy!!!

Dick

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-30-2006, 12:18 AM
ANYONE would be PROUD to carry that!

Bruce

Chuck Beland
03-30-2006, 5:05 AM
That's a beautiful watch!!

John Hart
03-30-2006, 6:47 AM
...The watch is .465" thick, 1.790" in diameter and 2.103" in height including the winding knob. The face has a very small "ELGIN" written on it. The name rings a bell. :) :cool:

Dale T.

Dale,
You sure have a treasure there! I can see why you want to preserve it. The winding stem is going to be problematic but it sure seems like a cool project to tackle. Cocobolo will be just awesome. The clock faces I get are 1.5" in diameter and 1/4" thick with the case just a little under 2" and under 1/2" thick. With yours, the case will be over that, but I bet you can come up with a sleek design. Hey!...maybe a hinge or pivot lid!

Fun project.:)

Mark Cothren
03-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Both of your pocket watches look great, John! Impressive work to this ol' Arky... keep it up!

Thanks for the pictures!