PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #41 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-28-2006, 9:12 PM
Tuesday March 28th, 2006

The kitchen, bathroom and laundry room floors are in now. Dean is doing the floors and the tile work.

35156 35157
This is the cork floor in the kitchen. Looks pretty good with the hickory cabinets and hickory floor, I think.:)

This is the main bath flooring. Both baths have the same flooring.

Dean got the entry tile done today as well as the vinyl in the laundry room. He also got started on the tile around the whirlpool tub. He won't be finished with the grout work until next Monday though.

I started work on the deck today. I couldn't find my level so I was winging it for the most part. It may be off a wee bit. More material has been ordered and I will hopefully find the level. ;) :D
35159 35160

Well, actually I had to rig this up so we can get in the house while Dean does the entry tile. The deck might be started in the next few days, but for now this will have to do.

The Rocket will be here tomorrow to pour the sidewalk. Had a bit of change in plans there. I was going to have no steps to get into the house, but that got shot down. Found out that code says you can't have a sidewalk graded at more than 1' drop for 8' in length. Couldn't do it and have the sidewalk end on the property because of the height of the front door. The drop to the driveway from the front door is almost 6' with only 40' to the driveway. So we'll have two steps out of the house and then a sidewalk. I am having them pour a 5' wide walkway though.

More to come in the next few days.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Karl.......Things are looking good and going like clockwork!

Andy Hoyt
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Awesome deck and walkway, Karl!

What's the wood? Whaddya use for fasteners? Whaddya use for a finish? Does it meet ADA specs?:D

Don Baer
03-29-2006, 1:19 AM
Super job karl and that new Lathe is gonna be awesome on that cork floor..:D

Bart Leetch
03-29-2006, 1:24 AM
"The Rocket will be here tomorrow to pour the sidewalk. Had a bit of change in plans there. I was going to have no steps to get into the house, but that got shot down. Found out that code says you can't have a sidewalk graded at more than 1' drop for 8' in length. Couldn't do it and have the sidewalk end on the property because of the height of the front door. The drop to the driveway from the front door is almost 6' with only 40' to the driveway. So we'll have two steps out of the house and then a sidewalk. I am having them pour a 5' wide walkway though."

Karl

If you think you may need it for a wheel chair at a later date you may need to make a couple of turns in the sidewalk with a landing at the end of each turn to meet ADA standards. I am going through this at the apartment complexes we manage right now so I understand the hoops you need ot jump through.

It's better & cheaper to do it now than later.

Jim Becker
03-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Those floors look wonderful, Karl!

Karl Laustrup
03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Those floors look wonderful, Karl!

Thanks Jim. That cork really feels good also. I need to find something to put the Wolf on though so I don't get indents in the cork. Also the fridge I guess.

Bart. I found out about the ADA standards and there was no way we can do that without getting into a lot of expense. I was surprised that there is an ordinance about slope requirements though. Once we're in I could do it, but we need a way to move in so we'll go with the steps. Hopefully we'll never need to worry about wheel chairs.

Andy. I'm not sure about all the wood, but I think some of it is Schlamaca. I was thinking of using tongue oil, but if I do I need to get the salivary glands working overtime. :D I'm waiting on a ruling from the ADA. We're trying for a variance. All construction is done with Elmers White Glue and 2-1/2" finish nails. Still have to counter sink the nails and fill for that smooooooth look. :D :D Do you think the 15" tread height will be too much? And did you notice that I was able to bend that floor board to conform to the shape of the ground? It was really hard jumping up and down and trying to nail those at the same time.

Karl

Jerry Olexa
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Karl, all the floors look GREAT!!! You also have a nice grade away from your home (errr I mean Shop:) ) so you should have no drainage issues. Looking good!!