PDA

View Full Version : Kreg wood plugs - *Revised*

Mark Rios
03-28-2006, 6:46 PM
Anyone use these? Is there any kind of trick to installing them? How much is supposed to stick out? What kind of saw is used, so as not to damage the panel it's installed in, to cut off the extra bit that sticks out?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Edit: I should clarify about removing the excess amount of plug. The plugs are inside the cabinet, covering the pocket screws that hold the face frame on. Some of the space between the shelves are narrow.

Thanks for the info on the saw. Could I get a recommendation on a brand/model of japanese saw? How long its the saw? Are there different lengths? I need to fit inside the cabinet.

Thanks very much for all your help and advice.

Brian Hale
03-28-2006, 6:55 PM
I haven't used the plugs yet but for trimming them flush, use a router. When i use the Miller dowels i chuck a 1/4" straight bit in my router and set it just shy of flush with the surface and then trim off what ever is sticking up. A little sanding with a hard block and your done....

Brian :)

Gary Keedwell
03-28-2006, 7:08 PM
Anyone use these? Is there any kind of trick to installing them? How much is supposed to stick out? What kind of saw is used, so as not to damage the panel it's installed in, to cut off the extra bit that sticks out?

Thanks very much for any advice.
I glue them in and after it sets I saw them with a zero set flush trim saw. I think mine is japanese.

Chris Dodge
03-28-2006, 7:37 PM
I also use a japanese zero flush trim saw and then sand it smooth. The plugs do stick out a good ways so don't think you are doing anything wrong. I guess they stick out that far so that it is easier to cut them? I don't know...but the plugs work pretty well.

Frank Pellow
03-28-2006, 8:04 PM
I am yet another person you cuts them off with a Japanese saw then sands them. I do drill the hole a little deeper when I am using plugs but they still stick out a little. This surprised me the first couple of times that I used the plugs but they do seem to work well and I kind of like the look. In particular, a made a mirror witha maple frame and used constrasting walnut plugs everyone that I have shown the mirror to tells me that they really like the appearence.

Mark Pruitt
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Kreg makes a "Mini Kreg Jig" that has an indentation on one end, that can be used to help push the plug into place. The portion of the plug that is still protruding above the surface can be removed fairly quickly with a belt sander or ROS.
Mark

Frank Pellow
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Kreg makes a "Mini Kreg Jig" that has an indentation on one end, that can be used to help push the plug into place. The portion of the plug that is still protruding above the surface can be removed fairly quickly with a belt sander or ROS.
Mark
I know that Kreg suggests that the indentation on tyhe mini-jig be used and I have tried doing so, but it did not seem to help much.

Dev Emch
03-29-2006, 2:28 AM
So I have a stupid question. In looking at the bubble pack, these appear to be lengths of 3/8 inch dowel which have been sliced with a salami cut or scarf cut. Why not just glue in a length a 3/8 inch dowel and sand flat? Your going to have to sand anyway so why pay the premium for the plugs in the first place? Just a quick thought here...

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 3:32 AM
Mark, in regards to your question about what kind of saw, do an Amazon search for "pull saw", and you'll see lots of offerings to get you started. I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TBPU/qid=1143620615/sr=8-6/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-8377857-6061401?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013), and it's handy for a lot of little trimming jobs.

- Vaughn