PDA

View Full Version : Which electric motor for Delta BS with riser for doing resaw?

Scott Loven
03-28-2006, 5:11 PM
I have a new US made delta BS top without a motor. I want to put a 1-1/2 HP motor on it and am not sure how to pick one out. What RPM, shaft, and frame size do I need? What brand and price?

Thanks
Scott

Hoa Dinh
03-28-2006, 5:42 PM
I assume this is the common 14" BS.

I believe you need a 1725 rpm motor with NEMA-56 frame, 5/8" shaft. An ODP will do OK, but I recommend a TEFC. You'll also need a motor pulley. Its size depends on the size of the driven pulley on the lower wheel of the saw. The speed of the blade should be around 3000 lfpm (+/- a few percents).

If I were buying a new motor now, I'd choose the Grizzly H5381.

Check a local motor shop, they may have something for you.

Eric Gagnon
03-28-2006, 6:05 PM
Scott:

I did this upgrade several months ago on my old Delta...everything Hoa just said, plus, if you want to keep the saw all-U.S. Baldor makes a nice 1.5 HP motor--I installed this one on my Delta and am very happy with it:

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/store/product.php?productid=104

-- this works on both 115 V and 220 V.

Louis Iturra is your go-to guy for pulleys, etc. for this upgrade.

Good luck,
Eric

Hoa Dinh
03-28-2006, 6:15 PM
Eric,

That's a great price for a Baldor.

But wait! Can someone explain to me what "farm-duty" really means in English. Thanks.

Dick Strauss
03-28-2006, 6:51 PM
As far as I know "Farm Duty" means that they are able to be used outdoors in wet and dusty environments. The motors have extra protection around the outside of the shafts to make sure they seal extremely well. I don't know if they actually add extra outer bearings or not.

Tim Morton
03-28-2006, 7:04 PM
I have the US made delta bandsaw top as well (from redmund&son)...I bought my motor from Electric Motor Warehouse. I believe it was a leeson farm duty motor. I remember the hardest part was finding a pully for the 7/8" shaft. heres an old link to my project if you skim thru it you might find the details of the motor.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19434&highlight=build+bandsaw