PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Ernie!

Michael Stafford
03-28-2006, 5:01 PM
I had a little surgical matter to take care of today so I did not work. When I came home from the doctor's office there was a big ole box at the garage door that the mailman delivered.

Well, I did not feel like moving the box and rounded up three men and a boy to assist me in moving it inside the garage. I opened it up and to my absolute joy and astonishment the box pictured in the first photo was inside. I figured Ernie had heard me lament my cold shop and decided to help me out and sent this Texas sized wiener roaster.

Let me tell you, Ernie did a lot better than a wieny roaster he sent me some wonderful mesquite blocks sized almost perfectly in length for boxes. The large half tree chunk will probably yield 3 or 4 boxes and the smaller piece will certainly give up one nice box. The small log will take some cogitating to figure how to best use it.

Ernie, first of all, thanks friend. How thoughtful and nice of you to send me some wood. I hope I can do it justice. Now a question or two for you. I am assuming the wood is green as it appears to be sealed in Anchorseal. If so, I will also assume that I can treat it like any other green wood, turn it rough, soak it in alcohol and let it dry? Or is mesquite so stable that all that rigamarole unnecessary?

The only mesquite I have previously turned was salvage from the barbecue pit as it was chunks of small logs destined for flavoring steaks in restaurants. I turned some weed pots from it and cut it up into pen blanks. By the way if you have not turned mesquite for pens you are missing a real treat. Makes a beautiful pen that sells well.

Ain't the folks on the Creek the absolute best? I know Ernie is. Thanks Ernie, I really appreciate you thinking of me. And when you least expect it something strange your way will come....;)

John Hart
03-28-2006, 5:17 PM
Yep....Ernie is one of the best. Proud to call him friend. Congratulations Mike! Very nice.:)

Jim Ketron
03-28-2006, 6:19 PM
Nice Haul Mike!

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2006, 6:58 PM
Mike, thank you for the kind words. I had forgotten all about it, and glad I did because I'd have been getting worried by about last weekend. It took long enough... I think:confused:... now I forgot when I sent it... uh oh.

Yep, it's green, although cut last July. It's been in my shop sealed... some even grew a new limb. Anyway, it's my first mesquite and so I haven't tried any without going through the alcohol regimen. I've only turned a couple of things out of it due to most of the tree was full of wind shake. It seems to be pretty stable though since the 10" NE bowl I am finishing now was only about 1/4" out of round, but I don't know that I'd chance it.:) Oh yea, the small block is a piece of black walnut that should have a little curl in it. I hope it's all long enough.

Happy turning

Ernie

David Fried
03-28-2006, 6:58 PM
Yup, throw those logs in the stove and they will help keep your shop warm:eek:

Nice gift!!!

Dave Fried

Michael Stafford
03-28-2006, 7:08 PM
Ernie, it is definitely long enough. I can turn a box from wood as short as 2 1/2" but it will be a short box....:p This wood will give me a lot of flexibility as there is plenty of length. Thanks again. I see that the single block is different now that you mentioned it. And under good light you can see the curl. Should make someone a doozy. Doozy is professional box talk....:p

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 7:44 PM
Very cool! Going to get a look at some great new boxes I am sure!!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
03-28-2006, 8:17 PM
The Boxmeister has been boxified!

Nice touch, Ernie.

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Doozy is professional box talk....:p

LOL... my oldest brother would come home from dental school, point in his mouth and say "tooth". Then he would explain how he was really starting to learn dentist talk.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Congrats Mike. Nice haul. Nice Ernie.