PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Workbench?

Charlie Kocourek
03-28-2006, 3:37 PM
I am planning to build a workbench soon and am hung up on how to install wheels on it without compromising how solid it is. Even the best locking casters move at least a little. I am thinking of something that is retractable. Either the wheels retract and lower the feet to the floor, or vis-versa. Any ideas?

john whittaker
03-28-2006, 3:55 PM
Charlie, I have thought about this for some time and came to the conclusion that I would rather have a non-mobile bench than one that is not "supremely solid". However, if I HAD to make it mobile, I would use two fixed casters on the back legs and two swivel on the front. Then use two large screw inserts on the front legs that would lift the front casters off the floor, similar to the operation of the Shop Fox mobile base. If the bench is heavy enough, the weight should keep it fairly solid. But again, I opted to live with a non-mobile workbench because having it totally solid was important to me.

Stephen Dixon
03-28-2006, 4:00 PM
Norm built a rolling assembly table, a few years ago, with a neat hinged castor retraction system, raising the table would drop the castors which would be supported by hinged boards. Pulling up the boards would retract the castors. I know I am not explaining this very well, and I don't have pictures, but if you try NYW.com and look for the work table you may figure out what I am saying.

Steve

Rob Bodenschatz
03-28-2006, 4:17 PM
What if you stuck non-swivel castors on the sides of two of the legs, ever so slightly off the floor. When the bench is still, all four legs are on the floor. Lifting one end engages the wheels.

Here's a very rough sketch. I've never done this but maybe it'll work for you.

Lee DeRaud
03-28-2006, 4:43 PM
What if you stuck non-swivel castors on the sides of two of the legs, ever so slightly off the floor. When the bench is still, all four legs are on the floor. Lifting one end engages the wheels.That's how the casters on my Ryobi BT3000 work. As long as you're not talking about one of those 500lb monster neanderthal benches, should work fine: it (and Norm's retractable caster design) assumes you can actually lift one end of the bench.

Dave Fifield
03-28-2006, 4:45 PM
The bench I'm building will have 6 heavy duty swivel wheels mounted underneath so they protude by about 1" from the bottom. When you're happy with the bench's position, you simply jam four 1.25" high blocks - shaped appropriately - under the bench feet to make it rock solid.

Dave F.

Jim Becker
03-28-2006, 6:09 PM
Rob shows how my previous bench was set up. Two swivel casters at one end (the heavy end, of course...) that don't touch the floor when the bench is in place. Lift the other end and you can scoot it around very easily. You want swivel casters, too...makes placement a lot easier.

Frank Chaffee
03-28-2006, 7:51 PM
Charlie,
I’m with you in thinking that casters, whether swiveling or fixed, are not stable enough for my moveable workbenches. In the past I have used hydraulic pallet movers to move work tables. I too, am seeking a design that allows movement and stability for a bench outfitted with casters. M. Troupin is one Creeker who has posted a construction that can be reset to adjustable solid legs after moving on casters.
Good thread,
Frank

Doug Shepard
03-28-2006, 8:10 PM
Norm built a rolling assembly table, a few years ago, with a neat hinged castor retraction system, raising the table would drop the castors which would be supported by hinged boards. Pulling up the boards would retract the castors. I know I am not explaining this very well, and I don't have pictures, but if you try NYW.com and look for the work table you may figure out what I am saying.

Steve

I'll second this recommendation. Just FYI - it wasn't Norms idea if that makes any difference. IIRC he was at a shop that builds stage or movie scenery and got the idea from their tables. The hinged caster setup was very lo-tech and simple and still managed to move the really HUGE layout tables they had these on.

john mclane
03-28-2006, 8:11 PM
I just finished a bench. I thought about some wheels since my dungeon does get water on the floor occassionally. I saw some designs similar to that describe above. I even bought wheels and considered a lever system to lower the wheels. In the end for asthetics as well, I ended up making a small dolly that is about 2" taller thent he lowest rail. I can lift the end and slide the dolly in the middle and it is balanced and mobile. The dolly fits underneath the bottom rack and comes out pretty easy. I don't have pictures (okay photo police: arrest me)

Frank Pellow
03-28-2006, 9:55 PM
Rob shows how my previous bench was set up. Two swivel casters at one end (the heavy end, of course...) that don't touch the floor when the bench is in place. Lift the other end and you can scoot it around very easily. You want swivel casters, too...makes placement a lot easier.
Rob and Jim that is what I am thinking about doing for the bench that I am thinking about building or buying.

Jim, my bench would probably weigh about 250 pounds. With your experience, do you think that 250 pounds would be too heavy to move in this way?

Charlie Kocourek
03-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info! I think when I am done that this bench will weigh at least 250# if not more and I would rather not lift it if at all possible. I went to Norm's site, but did not find any project that included retracting wheels. Does anyone have a picture or a link to one?

Rob Bodenschatz
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I think this is what they're talking about:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

Frank Pellow
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I think this is what they're talking about:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207
That link did not work for me. Rob, are you sure that it is correct?

Rob Bodenschatz
03-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I just double-checked and it works fine for me.

It's on www.newyankee.com. Click Project Library on the left side. Then View by Number. Scroll down to number 0207: Work Table and Clamp Cart. It's NOT 207. There are several ways to get there.

Jim Dailey
03-29-2006, 1:32 AM
Hi Charles,

I think I got this idea from Fine Woodworking in an article that goes back to maybe the mid to early 80's.... anyway 4 swivel casters are mounted on the end of blocks (picture 4 x 4 about 4" long) these four block are encased in there own cavity in the base of the bench so they can side up into the base as it sits flush on the floor. Each block has it own lever that contacts the top block pushing the block & caster out of the base with a cam action lifting the bench maybe 3/4" Using this set up you could easily move a bench 500lb or more.

I'd post a picture, but I haven't figure out how.... I might have learned how but I was told to Ingnore the one post that apparently would have shown me how....;)

Seriously I've never posted here (I don't have a web site...) is there a place to send a picture to "host" the pictures? If so I'll take a couple pictures & try to post them... you know "Ingore this post ...."

Hope this helps,
jim

Jim Becker
03-29-2006, 9:30 AM
Jim, my bench would probably weigh about 250 pounds. With your experience, do you think that 250 pounds would be too heavy to move in this way?

I think it may be too heavy for one person to move due to the lifting of one end, but with help it may be doable. You need to be able to raise the end a few inches while also pushing, pulling, etc. The bench I did it on was a bit lightweight compared to the one you propose.

Jacob Snow
03-29-2006, 9:49 AM
The idea that Norm got from the scenery shop was really very clever, i would totatlly recommend going that wya. :)

Dominic Greco
03-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Since my workbench is located in my small garage/shop, and I'm always looking for the "optimal configuration" for my shop, I have to be able to move it around occasionally.

I installed a set of heavy duty casters (200 lb capacity each) onto a plate (1 1/2" thick board) that is attached to a hinge assembly that is in turn anchored to the side of my workbench. On the plate is a heavy wood block that has a 7/8" hole drilled in it. I insert the end of a 3/4" dia x 2' long "cheater" bar in the hole and push down. The board with the casters is forced down and the bench lifts off it's feet, and I swing a wooden lock bar into position. I do this on the other side and I can wheel my workbench anywhere.

I've attached photos just in case my explanation is as bad as I think it is:)

Bruce Freeman
03-29-2006, 1:03 PM
That is more or less the "Norm" way of doing it. It is so simple that it will suprise you how well it works. You can always use a jack to lift each end if you have a real monster.

Charlie Kocourek
03-29-2006, 4:45 PM
Thanks Dominic, that is a nice simple way to do it. I like that.

Gerard Pauwels
03-29-2006, 4:46 PM
Like Norm, I learned about the hinged caster-board from someone in a scene shop. It works great, but I have a couple of suggestions.

First, since all the weight is supported by the hinges, I suggest you through- bolt the hinges to the frame. With a table of any weight, screws tend to work loose over time.

Second, remember it's easier to get the table up onto the casters than to get it down. To get it up, you lift the end of the table and the support jacks automatically swing into place. To get it down, you have to swing the support jacks manually--while holding the table up in the air.

You can make this easier by connecting the two support jacks at each end of the table together with a cord or cable. By pulling up on the cord, you can move both jacks out of the way at the same time. The heavier the table, the more you need the cord.

Bryan Rocker
03-29-2006, 5:37 PM
My X5 will be delivered Friday. How much different would a wood built base be as opposed to the metal mobile base Delta offers? I can go either way but mobility is a must in my case. For some reason the LOML expects me to park our SUV in the garage........

Rick Thom
03-29-2006, 6:36 PM
Rob and Jim that is what I am thinking about doing for the bench that I am thinking about building or buying.

Frank, when I built my bench a few years ago, mobility was a must as well. Mine is a traditional style w 2" maple top and about 7'x27" w 2 banks of 3 drawers. Loaded, it's got to be pushing 300-400 lbs. Mine is on a General mobile base like my table saw, "new bandsaw" etc. It's rated for 500 lbs, 2 swivel wheels on front and fixed on the other end. When in the lowered position, it's sitting on the rubber feet and isn't going anywhere. When casters are in raised position you can easily push it around, but you have to steer it. There is an alternate set of holes on the base at the fixed wheel end where swivel casters could probably be used if so desired. Let me know if you would like to see it.

Jesse Cloud
03-29-2006, 6:53 PM
I move my bench very infrequently (maybe once a year), but when I do, I just get a helper, usually LOML and we lift one end onto a 2 inch high flat dolly, then the other end onto another dolly. Takes 2 minutes and costs nothing.

Frank Pellow
03-30-2006, 7:02 AM
Frank, when I built my bench a few years ago, mobility was a must as well. Mine is a traditional style w 2" maple top and about 7'x27" w 2 banks of 3 drawers. Loaded, it's got to be pushing 300-400 lbs. Mine is on a General mobile base like my table saw, "new bandsaw" etc. It's rated for 500 lbs, 2 swivel wheels on front and fixed on the other end. When in the lowered position, it's sitting on the rubber feet and isn't going anywhere. When casters are in raised position you can easily push it around, but you have to steer it. There is an alternate set of holes on the base at the fixed wheel end where swivel casters could probably be used if so desired. Let me know if you would like to see it.
Rick, I didn't think that a tool mobile base would be work well with a bench -glad to hear that I was wrong.

Thanks for the invitation and I will probably take you up on your offer to see your mobile bench. I will send private mail to make arrangements.

Bob Spare
03-30-2006, 8:06 AM
I built a mobile bench with 6 casters,etc., would do it again.
On one side recessed in about 6" then ran a peg board the full length.
I have on the peg board hanging most of my common used tools.

The table is the same height as my table saw.
Which in turn is the same height as my built-in 8' foot miter saw.
Which in turn is the same height as my router table.

You combined all these units together, an you have a wonderful setup
for big sheets, etc.
If need be I can roll the table to any of these units.
Makes for easy clean-up's too.

My roll around bench also doubles as outfeed table for the table saw.

If I had to do it over again.........I would do it the same way.
Love the system.

Frank Pellow
03-30-2006, 8:04 PM
I move my bench very infrequently (maybe once a year), but when I do, I just get a helper, usually LOML and we lift one end onto a 2 inch high flat dolly, then the other end onto another dolly. Takes 2 minutes and costs nothing.
That's a great way to move a bench Jesse. One of those ideas that is so obvious (once one hears it) that one wonders why they did not think of it themselves.

I tried out your method and it works well. I have a small dolly of the type you described and there is a Lee Valley store nearby with most of therir products on display. This afternoon, I took my dolly over there and, unassisted, moved a 230 pound Veritas bench on my dolly with absolutely no problems :) (other than employees and cutomers wondering what I was up to :o ).

Charles McKinley
03-30-2006, 9:38 PM
On another thread on benchesit was recommended to make the strechers at a height that a pallet jack could be used to move it.

Doyle Alley
03-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Might I offer a suggestion to the "excess weight" problem. I too like the idea of the two wheels that engage only when the opposite side is lifted. It seems that everybody seems to be having trouble with the idea of lifting the non-wheeled side and still having enough "oomph" left to push it around. What about using a trailer dolly like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37510

Trailers couplers are only a few bucks at you local big box or auto supply store. You could mount one on the cross brace of the non-wheeled side and use the dolly to lift and move it.

Frank Pellow
03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Might I offer a suggestion to the "excess weight" problem. I too like the idea of the two wheels that engage only when the opposite side is lifted. It seems that everybody seems to be having trouble with the idea of lifting the non-wheeled side and still having enough "oomph" left to push it around.
Actually Doyle, as I reported in post #28, this does not seem to be a problem at all. At least, it was no problem with the 230 pound bench that I tried it with yesterday.

Frank Pellow
04-04-2006, 9:25 PM
I took Rick up on his offer. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34236