PDA

View Full Version : Major Power outage in NorthEast US and Canada

Dan McLaughlin
08-14-2003, 5:04 PM
Early reports indicate a transformer failure in NYC and a cascading effect throughout NorthEast and some of Canada

Ken Garlock
08-14-2003, 7:17 PM
for this happening. Back in the middle 1960s a similar thing happened which took out the New England states, NY, and parts of Canada. Didn't they learn anything :confused:

This sounds like a project for Home Land Security to tackle so that it cannot happen again. :mad:

George W. should have Every power company CEO present a 50 page explanation in 2 point font by 8 AM Tomorrow. :mad:

So much for power grids when you really need them....

Tony Falotico
08-14-2003, 9:27 PM
Hey Ken, I remember the one back in the mid 60's, I was just finishing my paper route, headed home and everything was dark. I lived on Long Island back then, I started my paper route in '63 (4?), we moved to Florida in '67, so it was sometime during that period.

Ahhh, memories, memories .............

Jim Becker
08-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Yea, my site and email is down as my hosting service is in the area of Canada affected by the outage. I had to go cut up some plywood tonight for a bit since my email flow is at a standstill! :D

David Peebles
08-14-2003, 11:23 PM
The thing I remember about the big black out of 1965... I think it was 1965, was that there was no T.V. no radio, nothing much going on.

Except nine months later, there were record number of births in the northeast. I guess everyone found something to do. :)

Dave

Paul Kunkel
08-15-2003, 10:09 PM
a record number of births 9 months later. I was in VietNam at the time and can claim no responsibilty, but we all got a few laughs because of it. It is shameful that these problems havent been fixed in our great country. Too many fingers in the pie and noone cares. I have a 4000 watt inverter backed up with 2-1100 amp batteries in my Dodge diesel's toolbox and when the power goes out I plug into the truck. Every one else is in the dark, hehe.

Richard Gillespie
08-16-2003, 11:22 AM
In my opinion everyone is responsible for the black out and strained power grids. This is said as I sit here on my computer with another one right beside me for my wife and two downstairs for my son and his wife.

The politicians can be rightly blamed for not leading the country and only following the dictates of their party or contributors.

We the American consumer have demanded an ever increasing amount of energy to feed our toys and needs. We however, fight tooth and nail against the building of new power plants and/or transmission lines near us or across our propriety. The environmentalists want to preserve with out facing the reality of an increasing population with increasing demands on everything.

What we need is not going to be pleasant. The federal government is going to have to lead us into a cohesive energy policy that is structured to allow for growth. This may very well mean the forced taking of propriety to allow the building of transmission lines and/or power plants. The real wonder of this is the consumer gets to pay for this.

Now, as to the power companies that have pushed de-regulation to increase their profit line without maintaining the necessary infrastructure to serve even their existing customers, they need to be forced into performance standards with penalties for non performance. These standards should cover the non occurrence of system blackouts.

Do I expect this to happen anytime soon? No! :mad:

Ken Salisbury
08-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Please take note of the following quote from the SMC Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php).

We need to keep "politics" out of the debate.

The forums at SawMill Creek are moderated. All posts are subject to moderation by our Members and Administrative Staff. Messages deemed offensive by any member may be reported to our staff by using the 'Report Post to Moderator' option. Any message that is reported to a moderator may be subject to removal, in whole or in part, at our staff.s discretion.
1. Religion and Politics
All members shall abstain from engaging in religious or political debate.

Richard Gillespie
08-16-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry, If my post is inappropriate, offends or is against the rules please remove it immediately.

Rick Gillespie

Jason Roehl
08-16-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry, If my post is inappropriate, offends or is against the rules please remove it immediately.

Rick Gillespie

I think you're alright, Richard...I believe Ken's post was just to keep this thread from going downhill into the verboten political arena.