PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time

Jim O'Dell
03-28-2006, 1:19 PM
With the changer over to Daylight Savings Time upon us this weekend, the question begs to be answered... How does the extra hour of light in the evening affect your shop time during the week? Does it allow you enough time to actually do something on a project? Or does it leave too little time, still, to get anything other than the setup done, and then take it back down? Jim.

Jim DeLaney
03-28-2006, 6:11 PM
I'm retired! I can be in the shop all day, any day. DST doesn't make any difference to me.

It's the same number of hours either way - just arranged differently, for the convenience of the majority...

Jim Becker
03-28-2006, 6:22 PM
I would like to think it would offer more opportunities for woodworking and outdoor things--and it did pre-kids. I'll have to wait and see this year!

Jason Roehl
03-28-2006, 7:02 PM
Grumble, grumble. Indiana, in an effort to spur their economy has decided to join most of the rest of the nation in implementing DST. Personally, I think the rest of the nation should drop DST, as we are just about a 24-hour society anyway. So, something I have not had to do for roughly two-thirds of my lifetime, I will have to do this weekend--change clocks. This discussion came up a while back on another forum I frequent, and I did a quick count of all my clocks. I believe I came up with 32 in my possession. Granted, a number of those can be set to adjust for DST automatically (cellphones get a time signal from the tower, computers, VCRs, etc.), I still have quite a few to do manually.

I often wonder that with all the clocks we own, whether there's any economic savings due to all the lost productivity spent changing clocks.

As for shop time, it won't affect mine a bit--I've been WAAAY too busy (and thus, tired) to do anything in the shop for some time now.

Andy Hoyt
03-28-2006, 8:32 PM
I do not recognize Daylight Savings time and do not adjust my clocks every six months. Have never seen any benefit whatsoever. 'Course, this means that I'm an hour late for everything in the top half of the year. Or is it early? Dang. Never have gotten the hang of it.

But I am on the team that supports the secession of Maine from the Eastern Time Zone and joining forces with the Atlantic provinces of Canada in the Atlantic Time Zone. Means that my inlaws will have a longer drive to visit - but only for half of the year. Or is it shorter. Aaaggghhhhh~

Matt Meiser
03-28-2006, 8:36 PM
Grumble, grumble. Indiana, in an effort to spur their economy has decided to join most of the rest of the nation in implementing DST.

About time! I hated effectively being in one time zone part of the year and another the rest of the year when I was going to college in Indiana.

Jim O'Dell
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I personally don't mind DST, but wish they'd turn it on and leave it on! I'd lot rather have the extra daylight in the afternoon even in the winter months. I do hate having to mess with the clocks, though.
I didn't answer my own question when I started this. I hope, HOPE!! that I get a little more shop time. I did spend about 20 minutes out there between 6:10 and 6:30 :p (Worked 'til 6:00, and had to watch the Mavs play the Pistons. Good game with only a couple bad calls) Jim.

Larry Klaaren
03-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree, it has been absolutely maddening to have to change appointment schedules every six months so that people from other states wouldn't have to change theirs. The thing is that hardly any one else knew that we don't change them.

One year on the first meeting after the non-change, four out of twelve people came to a meeting in South Bend an hour early, and three came an hour late. The leader was from Chicago and he tried to advise everybody about Indiana not changing and got it all messed up.

The first year we lived here, my mom was here just before the time didn't change. Then on Sunday she called at eleven p.m. She was saying "Larry, we were just there and your time is the same as ours." Since then, she has never been quite sure what time it is here.

I think in about a month every body will be wondering what we were thinking about not observing it. As far as meetings and schedules go nothing changes except the time on your watch. No more of this cable channels starting at a different time, but network shows don't and all of that.

Enough of my rant. It's ticked me off ever since we moved here. Now some people at my church are thinking we have to start church an hour earlier and some an hour later. People in every other state can figure it out (omit joke about neighboring state that would normally go here), I think we probably can get it too.

Oh, yeah, the original question, it'll be less shop time.

Larry

Don Baer
03-28-2006, 11:43 PM
One of the nice things about my upcomming move to AZ is they don't change time. Since I'm in AZ this week. I wont bother to change my clock when I drive back to California on friday...:D

Brett Baldwin
03-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh no, if Indiana is caving in to conformity, can Arizona be far behind? Well, hopefully we can be far, far behind. I have enjoyed not bothering with DST for the past 10 years and I think the rest of the country should just drop the whole thing. Is there anywhere else in the world that does this?

Curt Harms
03-29-2006, 5:59 AM
I personally don't mind DST, but wish they'd turn it on and leave it on! Jim.
I'll second that. I'd rather get up in the dark and have the end of the day in the light. I suspect ones preference has to do with closeness to the next or previous time zone.

Curt Fuller
03-29-2006, 8:55 PM
I personally don't mind DST, but wish they'd turn it on and leave it on! I'd lot rather have the extra daylight in the afternoon even in the winter months. I do hate having to mess with the clocks, though.

Amen! Now if we get more than one wish I'd wish that to coincide with daylight savings time they would invent grass that mows itself or at least grows slower. It seems like lawnmowing and dst seem to come along, and leave at the same time each year.

Curt Harms
03-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Amen! Now if we get more than one wish I'd wish that to coincide with daylight savings time they would invent grass that mows itself or at least grows slower. It seems like lawnmowing and dst seem to come along, and leave at the same time each year.

I wanna be an heir of the person that develops a lawn grass that grows thick and about 1 1/2" tall THEN STOPS. There's 2 ways to get rich here. One is selling the seed. An alternative is sell the rights to such a seed to the lawn care industry:eek: Not sure which would pay better.:D

Keith Outten
03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Here in the East we observe DST to keep our children from standing in the dark when waiting for the school buses in the morning. It's well worth the problems dealing with adjusting all of our clocks to keep the youngs ones a bit safer on the street corners waiting for the bus.

Kyle Kraft
03-30-2006, 2:40 PM
I personally like DST, but unfortunately I just do more work outdoors, so the net result is a loss of shop time. But with summer around the corner and no A/C in the shop, I'd rather not spend as much time in there anyway...too much like work.

Kyle....

Brad Schafer
03-30-2006, 3:23 PM
i'm with jim - turn it on and leave it on. a google of "history of daylight savings time" yields some humorous info.

b

Larry Klaaren
03-30-2006, 3:27 PM
Keith,

Doesn't the sun come up an hour later when you are on DST? Right now the sun comes up at seven and goes down at eight here. It will come up at eight and go down at nine next week, it will come up after the kids are on the buses. That was one of the huge arguments against changing since we are on the far west side of EST.

My understanding is that is whey we go off of daylight time in the winter, so kids will have more light to wait for the bus.

Larry

Michael Ballent
03-30-2006, 3:37 PM
I guess that AZ will be one of the last to make the change... personally I think it's great that we do not change... All the east coast cable feeds come in 1 hour earlier :). Besides AZ gets plenty of sunshine time ;) We are not the "Valley of the Sun" for nothing ;)

Larry Klaaren
03-30-2006, 3:47 PM
Funny thing, I did an internship in Safford, Az in 1978. I didn't know that Az doesn't observe DST. So I hurried over from El Paso to get there at four p.m., and got a speeding ticket in Duncan, Az. Then, after I got there, no one was at the office, they don't open until four on Sunday, and since they didn't go on DST, I was an hour early. Yes, it does get hot sitting in your car in the sun for an hour in Arizona.

Larry

Ian Barley
03-30-2006, 6:52 PM
Is there anywhere else in the world that does this?
Brett

I think most western states have some kind of adjustment. UK swings back and forth between Greenwich Mean Time and British Summer (:( ) Time. Once upon a time (70's) Belgium observed what it called Belgian Energy Saving Time - BEST - which moved the clocks 3 hours. I know it didn't last long and it must have caused bedlam.

Jason Roehl
03-30-2006, 7:03 PM
Keith,

Doesn't the sun come up an hour later when you are on DST? Right now the sun comes up at seven and goes down at eight here. It will come up at eight and go down at nine next week, it will come up after the kids are on the buses. That was one of the huge arguments against changing since we are on the far west side of EST.

My understanding is that is whey we go off of daylight time in the winter, so kids will have more light to wait for the bus.

Larry

Larry, I see you are about 45 min SE of me...have you looked outside lately? The "official" sunrise and sunset times for right now in Indy are 06:32 and 19:07, respectively. So, beginning Sunday morning, those will change to roughly 07:30 and 20:10. Darkness ends and begins roughly 1/2 hour before and after those times. And I have experience on those times lately--I've been driving an hour east in the morning, and an hour back west in the evening everyday for 3 months--I've been trying to avoid those times on clear days!

Keith--perhaps the schools should just change their start times, and the rest of us could leave our clocks alone! Schools are kind of off in their own little world anyway...

Lee DeRaud
03-30-2006, 7:46 PM
My stupid dog can't tell time, so for a couple of weeks I'll get to sleep in a bit before he wakes me up at dawn.:eek:

Jerry Clark
03-30-2006, 8:15 PM
Now next year [maybe] they will move DST up two weeks and in the fall back two weeks-:cool: - to save energy. :eek: They tried DST year round some time back and got a lot of complaints. I like DST and really do more because the light in the evenings.:rolleyes:

Larry Klaaren
03-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Larry, I see you are about 45 min SE of me...have you looked outside lately? The "official" sunrise and sunset times for right now in Indy are 06:32 and 19:07, respectively. So, beginning Sunday morning, those will change to roughly 07:30 and 20:10. Darkness ends and begins roughly 1/2 hour before and after those times. And I have experience on those times lately--I've been driving an hour east in the morning, and an hour back west in the evening everyday for 3 months--I've been trying to avoid those times on clear days!

Keith--perhaps the schools should just change their start times, and the rest of us could leave our clocks alone! Schools are kind of off in their own little world anyway...

I just know that it's just getting light enough to see when my son gets on the bus at 6:40, I watch the bus stop from the house. And I know when soccer practice ends. I didn't check it out exactly

Larry

Robert Mickley
03-30-2006, 10:55 PM

Actually Curt there all ready is grass that grows slower. supposed to only have to cut it 2 or 3 times a season.
do a search on low mow grass or slow growing gras, yields a tone of results

As for DST. Why not just split it inthe middle?
I tend to stay outside till it gets dark, so yes I get more shop time when I'm actualy in the shop. Or mill time if I'm sawing logs.

Norman Hitt
03-31-2006, 1:35 AM
I guess As Usual, I'm the Odd Man Out here,:rolleyes: but I have always hated daylight savings time and switching back & forth. Back BEFORE DST, I always looked foreward to the changing of the day's length as a part of the changing of the seasons, (which we very rarely have anything like the 4 seasons around here, that we had when I was growing up, and I really miss that).

Jason Roehl
03-31-2006, 6:28 AM
Now next year [maybe] they will move DST up two weeks and in the fall back two weeks-:cool: - to save energy. :eek: They tried DST year round some time back and got a lot of complaints. I like DST and really do more because the light in the evenings.:rolleyes:

Just think what that's going to do for all the time-displaying implements that automatically adjust for DST on the first Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October--you'll have to change those clocks (such as VCRs) FOUR times in the next two calendar years. Once when DST takes effect in March, once when the clock THINKS DST should take effect in April (you'll have to correct its auto-adjustment), then once when the clock THINKS DST is done in October, and once again when DST is actually over in November. Yeeha.

Larry Klaaren
03-31-2006, 7:19 AM
Well, there is something Indiana folks know how to do. You can shut off the DST deal on electronics. Actually VCR's get their time from your local PBS, so they will still work (don't know why our VCR's do that but the TV's don't). I'm sure Microsoft will sent an update for XP at least, and cell phones get their time from the cell. Not sure that will be as huge a deal as it sounds.

Larry

Ken Salisbury
03-31-2006, 2:28 PM
In reading this thread it occurred to me that the folks commenting on the subject should really count their blessings. If debating the pro's and con's of DST is all they have to be concerned with is a real blessing.

It really doesn't make a lot of difference since the is 24 hours each day regardless :D.

Larry Klaaren
03-31-2006, 2:37 PM
It really doesn't make a lot of difference since the is 24 hours each day regardless :D.

One of the arguments against DST is that farmers can't start field work until the dew dries, which is the middle of the morning on DST. Which means they have to work into the evening and miss kids events to get the same time in.

Drive-ins are complaining because the can't start movies as early and families possibly won't come.

On the other hand, softball leagues here are changing the length of time after which a game will be called, since there is an extra hour after work. If there are two games scheduled, each can have an extra half hour or so, or there can be three games an evening.

Some of the discussion topics here in Indiana. I've always had DST before I came here and am looking forward to it. Think most folks will like it once they get used to it.

Larry

Jim O'Dell
03-31-2006, 6:31 PM
In reading this thread it occurred to me that the folks commenting on the subject should really count their blessings. If debating the pro's and con's of DST is all they have to be concerned with is a real blessing.

Ken, coming from you, that puts it all in perspective! But I have to rib you at little. On DST, 1 day has 23 hrs, 1 has 25 hrs. ;) :p :D Have a great weekend everyone!! Jim.

Jason Roehl
03-31-2006, 8:20 PM
Ken, I'm just practicing to become a crotchety old rebel like you! :D