PDA

View Full Version : Tool Purchase Order?

Russ Filtz
03-28-2006, 1:18 PM
Probably been hashed over and over, but what should I get next? I have a TS, drill press, and decent router w/ table and handheld jig/saber saw.

Thinking I need a bandsaw and thickness planer. Not sure on a jointer or a miter saw. You can't really do without a BS or planer for what they do, but the miter and jointer can be done by other means (crosscut sled for miter and well tuned 90-degree TS cut for jointing or router table)

Matt Meiser
03-28-2006, 1:51 PM
I would get the planer before the band saw since you can do many things with the saber saw.

Scott Coffelt
03-28-2006, 1:57 PM
Depends on what your building but I use the BS the least, mainly used for resawing and cutting curves these days and also some M&T work. I use my jointer more than my planer. I guess it depends on what you plan to build.

Steve Clardy
03-28-2006, 2:05 PM
Surface planer, jointer.

Jim Becker
03-28-2006, 2:09 PM
Surface planer, jointer.

Agree. Edge preparation is only one function of the jointer...flattening the faces before thicknessing is a very important one, too...

The bandsaw is more of a specialty tool in some respects, although for some woodworker's it's the heart of their shop. (I'm a TS, J, P triangle kinda guy when it comes to the core)

Stephen Dixon
03-28-2006, 2:15 PM
You need your lungs alot more than a wood cutter thingy

Steve

Michael Gibbons
03-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Boy, You have come to the right place. We love to spend other peoples money. Probably a planer and jointer to make things square and flat then a dust collector. Then a lathe, bandsaw.

Mike

Jim Young
03-29-2006, 1:01 PM
I would get the planer, seems the most logical for anyone doing mostly flat work. Now if you are making curvy things I would say the BS should be next.

Mark Pruitt
03-29-2006, 1:05 PM
I agree about the dust collector. It's not an exciting piece of equipment to be sure, but as far as your respiratory system is concerned it's the right thing to do IMHO. Actually, it IS pretty exciting when you realize how much less cleaning you have to do. Jointers, planers, bandsaws, and miter saws are all very messy tools. This from a guy who had thoracic surgery following pneumonia and a collapsed lung last year! (Of course sawdust didn't cause it, but I did learn not to take my lungs for granted.)
Mark

Tyler Howell
03-29-2006, 1:07 PM

Steve

I agree with Steve. Abosute #1 purchase, and then tell us what you are making.
CSMS is the most used tool in my shop:cool: .

scott spencer
03-29-2006, 2:07 PM

Steve I agree with Jim as far as wood cutting tools go, but I think Stephen's point is hard to dispute....DC.

JayStPeter
03-29-2006, 3:00 PM
I'd go planer, then jointer, then bandsaw

Jay

Charles McKinley
03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Buy a lathe and a Band Saw. You will have to sell everything else to support your new habbit!:D

Matt Day
07-30-2013, 8:35 AM
Given that this thread was started 7 years ago, I HOPE the OP has decided by now!

Mike OMelia
07-30-2013, 8:38 AM
Start a project. The needs will present themselves. This way, you will purchase the appropriate version of the tool

Mike OMelia
07-30-2013, 8:40 AM
Given that this thread was started 7 years ago, I HOPE the OP has decided by now!

Doh!!! lol!

Jamie Lynch
07-31-2013, 7:17 AM
I would look at past and future projects to see where each tool would fit, and base my decision on what seems to solve the largest problem.
I just bought a jointer and planer. The jointer is awesome and I have a bunch of boards jointed on one face and edge. I'm still waiting on new bearings and brushes to get the planer running. A jointer without a complementary planer is a little naked.

Guy Belleman
07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
A bandsaw. I found that when I got a bandsaw, tweaked it, and used a sled on it, I used the saw all of the time. For a long time I just bought surfaced wood, so a planer wasn't really needed. Unlike most I don't store wood for years before using it, nor get a lot of rough cut lumber, so I use a planer only occasionally. Don't get a lathe, as that will lead to an expensive addiction. ;) Then you will really need that bandsaw to cut out bowl and project blanks. A jointer is valuable. Even with surfaced wood, I often have to straighten or clean up an edge, especially for gluing. Good luck.

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2013, 1:40 PM

Nope, he's still researching dust collection............LOL...............Rod.

Bruce Page
07-31-2013, 1:45 PM
Nope, he's still researching dust collection............LOL...............Rod.
He was distracted by a chisel sharpening thread..:rolleyes: