PDA

View Full Version : Norm Abram Wants Me!

Scott Vigder
03-28-2006, 1:03 PM
He wants me to subscribe to his new This Old House magazine. I'll bet he wants you, too! And since I am a sucker for just about anything Norm, I'll accept his gracious invitation for three free issues.

Steve Clardy
03-28-2006, 1:34 PM
Also got one here. Thought about it, pitched er in the trash.

Jim Becker
03-28-2006, 2:15 PM
Well...it's not a new magazine...'been around for a few years. I've enjoyed the subscription, although I don't keep back issues like I do for my woodworking mags. Great bathroom reading, though!

Tim Armstrong
03-28-2006, 5:55 PM
I've been getting this mag for about two years and probably won't renew unless LOML wants to. I think she likes it more than I do. I sort of think of it as a Better Homes and Gardens with some basic instructions. Most of the DIY projects are around landscaping, painting, and other cosmetic or decorating stuff. Nothing too meaty. The infrequent tool reviews are a little weak IMO. Very little Woodworking info. A better home improvement mag in my opinion would be something like Fine Homebuilding or Family Handy Man. I've picked up both at airport magazine stands frequently (spend a lot of time in airports) but have not subscribed to either yet - probably go with Fine Homebuilding when I get around to it. Still have yet to pick a good WW mag too. Fine Woodworking is beautiful but a bit beyond my skill level at this point. Probably look at Wood magazine for home subscription.

Jim DeLaney
03-28-2006, 6:05 PM
I've been getting it for about three years.

Every year, at the Cleveland Home & Garden Show, they have a booth offering a free subscription - or a renewal to an existing one. It's an advertising scheme.

Each year, I've signed up for a renewal (free) so the only time I've paid was for the first year's subscription, which I already had before attending the show last year. I'm now good thru Jun 2008.

Jim Becker
03-28-2006, 6:06 PM
I agree with Tim that Fine Homebuilding (which nicely compliments Fine Woodworking and Fine Gardening... ;) ) is an excellent magazine with more "meat" than TOH. It was hard deciding about renewing TOH not long ago and the only reason I did was that it was cheap ($15 or something like that) and it really does make for good bathroom reading. But I do get a lot more out of FH when it comes to construction-oriented things...which is why I did subscribe to it last year.

Curt Harms
03-28-2006, 6:11 PM
I suspect the typical TOH magazine subscriber is white collar and more than a touch of green($$). It's for lookin' not for doin', no calluses amongst this crowd.

Curt

Tom Spallone
03-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Yea, I have to stop and watch the Yankee Workshop whenever it catches my eye but honestly, Norm pisses me off!!!!!!!

I mean, he's got every damn tool imaginable and with every jig possible.

Just once I'd like to see someone bust through those barn doors and say, "Hold it Norm, now let me see how you do that with a hand saw and a couple of dull chisels".

sighh

Serenity now, serenity now.

Forgive me, I just screwed up a display case. Why is making things square so damn hard?

Lee DeRaud
03-28-2006, 10:37 PM
He wants me to subscribe to his new This Old House magazine. I'll bet he wants you, too! And since I am a sucker for just about anything Norm, I'll accept his gracious invitation for three free issues.I just got an offer from him today: only one free issue, but a special senior discount rate. What's he trying to say?!?:eek:

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't subscribe to the Magazine but I pick one up everyonce in awhile when I am in airports to read on the plane. Good reading but I don't keep them around.

Corey

Bill Lewis
03-29-2006, 5:48 AM
I tried it way back when it first came out. I found it to be basically fluff.

The only mags I subscribe to are FHB and FWW. I've been subscribing to FHB for well over 10 years now. If I get stuck on a project I can usually find some article in my library to rescue me from it. As long as I have home constuction projects to do, I'll continue to subscribe.

Ray Turney
03-29-2006, 8:40 AM
Norm wants me too, to watch his shows not read his magazine. I got suckered into subscribing a couple yrs. ago and expected some great articles and all I got was advertisements. Open up the magazine and you have to go about twenty pages before you get to something worth reading, go about twenty more to get something else worth reading, Laid out nice, great pictures, but I find a ton more good advise and great tips on this site than any magazine you could buy!!!!!!!!