PDA

View Full Version : Motor for lathe

Julio Navarro
03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I recently purchased an old lathe with out the motor. I am wondering what size motor is good for turning. What speed, 3450/1740?

Mark Pruitt
03-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Nothing to share from experience, but if it's a belt drive system I think I would start with looking at spec sheets for lathes with pulleys of the same diameter. Once you find that, you should also have your answer as to appropriate motor size. Spec sheets for a lot of the more popular lathes are available from their manufacturers' websites. Just a thought.
Mark

Julio Navarro
03-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Mark. Not sure what brand of lathe it is, I'll check this weekend when I pic it up. I thought maybe a certain range or type of motors was recommended for turning in general.

Scott Donley
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Mark. Not sure what brand of lathe it is, I'll check this weekend when I pic it up. I thought maybe a certain range or type of motors was recommended for turning in general.Juilo, when I got my old CM (King Seeley ) it had no motor, I ended up getting a Dayton 1/2 hp reversible, 1725 rpms and 4step pulley. Seems to work out just fine. Hope this is of some help.

Julio Navarro
03-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Scott. Any input is help.

Jeff Horton
03-28-2006, 3:32 PM
The best answer is it depends ... and it depends on what you are going to turn too. The bigger the item the slower you want to go. Smaller faster. If you going to turn large out of round blanks for bowls your probably going to want to go slower that it will go with either motor.;)

With that said and knowing none of the answer I would say the slower one. It it easier to over speed the spindle (with the pulleys) that it is to slow it down. But if you post this in the turning forum with some more details you can get a lot better answers.

Julio Navarro
03-28-2006, 3:51 PM
You know, I didnt even think of the turning forum...good idea, thanks Jeff.

I plan on using it for multiple uses, not sure exactly yet but would like for it to do as varied a job as possible.

Jeff Horton
03-28-2006, 3:54 PM
Then might I suggest going with a DC motor or a 3-phase with a VFD. I have both on lathes and like the DC a little bit better. But that will give you variable speed and anything you want. I love mine.

Jeff Singleton
03-28-2006, 5:31 PM
Try to stay with a 184 frame motor which is the size for most 2-5 single and three phase motors. Speed really doesn't matter because you can change the motor pulley but be sure to do the math first. Most smaller lathes had a 2800 top speed. There is a rpm calculator on OWWM that has helped me a few times, it's under shop math. Good luck.

Jeff Singleton:)