PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Finally Bought the Makita Sharpener (Gloat)

Ben Roman
03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Well Guys, I finally got the Makita Sharpening System From Highland Hardware. I can hardly wit for UPS to deliver it tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a try.

Ben :o

Mike Leone
03-28-2006, 1:52 PM
Please give a review, I've been looking at that to.
thanks
Mike l

Ben Roman
03-28-2006, 4:29 PM
Will Do !!!

RichMagnone
03-28-2006, 5:18 PM
It's not a gloat without a picture

CPeter James
03-28-2006, 6:08 PM
Did you get the "green" wheel to go with it? It really helps.

CPeter

Ben Roman
03-28-2006, 6:14 PM
YEs i got a Whole Kit Green Wheel , Tool Holder, Brown Wheel, and Some Chisels

Barry Bruner
03-28-2006, 6:52 PM
I also bought the same sharpener from Highland and have tried it on my 18" planer blades, I went across it lightly on the green wheel and it kinda rolled the edge a bit. After using the green wheel do you have to do some work with a stone to remove the rolled edge? I used the same angle as it was originally ground or do you run it over the smooth stone to finish up the job. THANKS, BARRY BRUNER

Well Guys, I finally got the Makita Sharpening System From Highland Hardware. I can hardly wit for UPS to deliver it tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a try.

Ben :o

Ben Roman
03-28-2006, 7:07 PM
I don't know yet will get it tomorrow

CPeter James
03-28-2006, 7:23 PM
I do my knives on the green wheel all the time. I don't have the problem you are talking about. I use the same angle,25 degrees, for both jointer and planner. I use a light touch, the knife just barely touches the wheel when I start and when you are done it stops cutting as the guides are on the stops. About two minutes per knife and I don't usually use the brown stone on the knives, just make the last few passes real light and real fast.

CPeter

Cliff Polubinsky
03-28-2006, 9:14 PM
I have the Woodcraft copy of that sharpener. I made a platform to fit on the top that's level with the surface of the wheel so I could use my Veritas MkII honing jig with it. I also cut some MDF wheels to fit and spray glued various grits of sandpaper on them to use it like a powered scary sharp. This lets me use up to 1500 grit paper. I've been getting good results so far.

Cliff