PDA

View Full Version : Buddy The Wonder Dog

Ken Salisbury
03-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Living alone and basically being house bound during my battle with lung cancer I decided right after Christmas to buy a small dog for company. I found a AKC Registered Pug puppy which I bought right after New Years. Since I wanted a "buddy" I named him Buddy.

This dog, (and I have owned many in my 73 years), amazes me more each day. We are together 24/7 and I have been working with him daily. He was paper trained within 2 weeks without difficulty.

I purchased several toys (small stuffed bear, stuffed dog, rubber duck, tennis ball, rubber bone, a rubber monster) and cut a 3/4" x 1/2" x 12" oak stick. I have been working on "name recognition" of his toys. I can now pile all his toys on the other side of the room and command him to find a specific toy (re: "Buddy, find your bear"). He will go across the room and retrieve the specified toy, bring it to me, drop it at my feet, sit in front of me and get a "treat" (I am spending more money on treats than I am on dog food :) ). I am now working on spreading his toys around the house and command him to find a specific toy. He will eventually find it and bring it to me. Keep in mind, this puppy is just 4 months old this week. My Daughter has lease trained him and he loves the outdoor walks. He sits, lays down and speaks (barks) on command.

The entire family, the neighbors, and my vet all refer to him as "Buddy, The Wonder Dog". Everyone who sees him retrieve a specific toy from a pile all say the same thing "he didn't do that" :) .

His training will continue and maybe I will be able to teach him to talk :) :) .

What a joy he has been and is my newfound "buddy".

Jerry Clark
03-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Ken, glad you are doing OK and now have a good friend-- HI Buddy! Thanks for posting!:D http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_25.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZN (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZN)

Ken Garlock
03-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Ken, it is good to hear from you again. It looks like you have a real winner with the pooch :cool: Time and patience pays off, for sure. When will you two start your talent show?;)

My daughter has a miniature poodle. I call him "fractional" because, I swear he has an IQ between 0 and 1.:D It sounds like your dog got the poodles share of smarts.;)

Bart Leetch
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Thank you Buddy for being such a good buddy to our friend Ken.

Don Baer
03-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Ken,
Thanks for sharing your stories about your "Buddey". Dogs are wonderful companions and it sounds like your is a real treat.

Ken Salisbury
03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Ken, glad you are doing OK and now have a good friend-- HI Buddy! Thanks for posting!:D http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_25.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

Jerry,

Thanks for the graphic - cute ! . I have already e-mailed it to my Grandson in Alaska

Jerry Olexa
03-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Ken, glad to hear you've acquired such a great companion..They are great partners and bring out the best in us. I love Dogs and happy you got such a extraordinary one. You are blessed..:)

Lee DeRaud
03-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Cool dog...Ozzy says 'Hi'!

But if I see a "new member" post from "Buddy Salisbury", I'm not falling for it.:eek: :p

Jim O'Dell
03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
That's great, Ken!! Animals can be very amazing. Our first Irish show dog did something similar. We had 3 identical plastic balls, about the size of a tennis ball. I could roll all 3 together down the hall and tell him whick color to bring back, and he would. I'm not going to get into a debate on the color blindness of dogs, but if they are, his greyscale was wonderful, or each color smelled different!! Jim.

Ed Lang
03-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Ken,

How much beer does Buddy drink? Does he retrieve cans now too?

He looks like a great dog..... he has a great Buddy of his own you know.

Glad to hear you are up and about. Don't let Buddy tire you out too much running all over the house hiding toys!

Take care

Ken Salisbury
03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Ken,

How much beer does Buddy drink?

Take care

It's funny you should ask. I bought one of those rawhide bones for him to teethe on and he just wouldn't have anything to do with it. After trying to get him to chew on it for couple weeks, I soaked the thing in Bud Light for a few seconds and now he chews on it for hours each day :D :).

Ed Lang
03-28-2006, 11:29 AM
"This Buds for you!"

Peter Stahl
03-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Ken,

Cute little dog. He's smarter than a lot of people I know, lol. Little dogs are a lot more fun than the big one, I think. Keep an eye on the wires hanging around. I have a Jack Russel and when He was a pup he chewed a few, it's amazing he didn't get zapped!

Ian Barley
03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Ken

Good to hear from you and glad you have a new pal. I used to have a pair of boxers who knew each others names. If I called Buster, Charlie - his brother - would look at him and vice versa. Never underestimate the abilities of a dog - even when most of them are as daft as a brush.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 5:28 PM
Neat story Ken! I wished we another dog! I miss our samoyed!

Jim Becker
03-28-2006, 6:23 PM
Buddy is very cute! I bet he makes you smile, too... ;)

Doug Shepard
03-28-2006, 6:37 PM
Those pugs are a hoot. My brother has one that's not quite a year old now. That goofy sideways gait just doesn't look natural. Then there's the snorting, wheezing, snoring, etc. Plus a face only a mother could love. Despite all their quirks, there's just something about them that sucks you in and makes you love them. Glad you got a smart one too. Harley (my brother's pug) figured out how to pick the phone up when it rings. Doesn't do anything with it. Just leaves it laying next to the base on the end table. They finally had to move the phone as they kept finding it off the hook when they came home.

Jason Roehl
03-28-2006, 7:08 PM
Ken, I guess you could bleach his fur and call him "Buddy Light". :D

Has he learned to fetch the bottles of BL out of the fridge yet?

Looks like a good little pup, there.

Gary Herrmann
03-28-2006, 8:51 PM
Good for you, Ken. Glad Buddy is keeping your spirits up. My labs are beer hounds. They run around the pool during the season, and always manage to "accidently" knock somebody's arm or totally upend an unattended cup.

Its a good thing Buddy doesn't have thumbs, he'd probably be in your shop all day.

Greg Heppeard
03-29-2006, 9:12 AM
Ken,
Be careful you don't leave any pens laying around. Buddy might start customizing them for you. My dogs have done that to more than a couple of chunks of wood that I left around the shop.

Good to see you're doing better.

Vaughn McMillan
03-29-2006, 6:27 PM
Cute looking dog, Ken. In general, I like dogs more than I like people, and it looks like you found a gem. Good to see you around here, and keep getting better.

- Vaughn

Ron Jones near Indy
03-29-2006, 7:24 PM
This seems like a great dog for a great guy.:D My best to both of you!

Jim Dunn
03-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Neat dog Ken. Our dogs know just two words "outside" and "eat". Thats it, unless the occasional #@$% I holler at em for messing on the floor. That they understand to.