PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Cedar...keep your cigars in my garage...door?

Mark Singer
03-28-2006, 10:17 AM
I decided to go with Spanish Cedar for the garage door....it was a little less than Mahogany....lghter in weight which is better for the motor ...and very stable...it has a very natural look and nice grain... Now you can use the entire garage...(or just the door ) to keep your cigars fresh...It won't be here for about 4 weeks and then I will post the pics.

Julio Navarro
03-28-2006, 10:24 AM
where did you get it from, Mark, and how much did yo ugfet and what did it cost you, if you dont mind my asking, of course?

I will be making humidores and will need plenty of cedar.

Mark Singer
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Julio,
I ordered the door from Crown Door locally and they supply the entire unit so I don't know the cost of the cedar... The 18' x7' door was $6300 installed Hond. Mahagony was $1000 more... I would guess it is in the $5 per bf range

Julio Navarro
03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
OOHH, sorry I thought you were ordering the wood to make the door. My missunderstanding.

I'd liek to see pictures of the installed door when you re done. I have a small block of the spanish cedar I plan onm using to make some veneer. I hope is is aromatic enough.

Kent Parker
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Mark,

A local hardwood supplier on the SF Bay gets $ 4.00 bf for 4/4 and $ 4.50 bf for 8/4.

Its a nice alternative to Hon. Mahogany though a little grainier. I believe there are some 5 or 6 varieties of Spanish Cedar.

Some of the pieces I've handled are a bit resiny from the woods tannin oils. If you feel this residue, wiping down with a solvent might be advised, depending on your choice of finish and compatibility with the solvent.

Cheers,

Kent

john frank
04-29-2006, 9:12 AM
I'm not in your geographical area. MN here. But I ran into a bunch sitting at a window manufacturer. They had ordered a sample and were sent a container of it by mistake. Anyway they decided they had no use for it and were selling it for 1.00 a foot. It was all 7-9 ft lengths and 6/4 and 8/4 thicknesses. Great widths too. Some as much as 24" none under 7". I bought up 500 bf of 6/4 and 200 of the 8/4 and still have most of it left. So check around...never know what you might find.

Alan Turner
04-29-2006, 8:39 PM
I built a series of garden benches from Sp. Cedar, and for 6 months I could taste the dust. Blegg!!!! But, it has help up well for the purpose.

Chris Barton
04-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Mark,

Sounds like a great deal. Only one caveat, SC often leaks sap and resin, months to years after being dried and machined. This may cause a problem with any finish applied to it.