PDA

View Full Version : First pens, more...... w/pics

Barry Stratton
03-28-2006, 1:45 AM
God bless William H. Seward, may he rest in peace. Today was "Seward's Day" here in Alaska commemerating the signing of the Alaska Purchase Treaty with Russia in 1867 so us state workers got the day off. and what a great day it was.

Started off trying to turn a bowl without a chuck. Photo attached. At least this one stayed put and didn't smack me. Tried to make a "jam chuck" but the birch is way to soft and kept popping off. Oh well, had fun and made a pile of curlies.

Made a run to the dump as "stuff" is starting to pop out of the snow as it melts. Should be all gone in a couple three weeks. A few bears are starting to poke around too, but I digress......

Got home and made a pen blank drilling jig. Then made two pens - claro walnut and redheart. Oh yeah, somewhere in between the half bowl and pens was a handle for the pen barrel trimmer. Pens finished with laquer and wax.

Great stuff this spinning. Anyone want to buy a scrollsaw???

David Fried
03-28-2006, 6:13 AM
Barry,

Nice looking pens! I really had to look close to find the seam on the Redheart one. The handle on the pen mill looks nice. I take it you use it by hand - I use mine in the drill press otherwise a handle would be a must have! Have you turned any Moose antler yet? :D

Dave Fried

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-28-2006, 6:26 AM
Great stuff this spinning. Anyone want to buy a scrollsaw???

Now that is funny!

Great looking pens!

Cheers!

John Hart
03-28-2006, 7:32 AM
I turned my scrollsaw on the other day. Can't remember why though.

Hey...I think I figured out why Turning is so addicting!! Most of us got into woodworking because we thought it would be fun. We found out that there's some fun and a lot of work. With turning...It's MOSTLY fun!!!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 8:37 AM
Great pens and tools Barry!

Yeah John.......and it's almost instant gratification! That latest vase I made.......a lttle over an hour including taking a coffee break! Neat stuff spinning.....I hope to get my shop finished someday!

Mike Ramsey
03-28-2006, 9:00 AM
Good job Barry! My scroll saw is under a bunch of shavings & miss-guided
blanks, least I think it's under there? Been a long time since I looked! Oh!
I'm not sure about where the Jointer is also, I can see the table saw legs
underneath the bowl blanks!

John Miliunas
03-28-2006, 9:32 AM
Nice mini-projects, Barry but, be warned: Those pens can be addicting!!! :D :cool:

Jim Dunn
03-28-2006, 9:51 AM
Nice looking items there Barry. Tell me do you have to compete with the bears for wood too or just food scraps??:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Lookin mighty good Barry. Keep'em coming.

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 7:55 PM
Great looking pens Barry! You did great! How does that barrel trimmer work under hand power? Thought they had to be used in a power drill or drill press! Cool.

Corey

Barry Stratton
03-28-2006, 8:33 PM
Thanks guys! I know they are not the most difficult things in the turning world, but they sure were fun (and addicting)!!!

The handheld barrel trimmer works just fine for me, but I routinely break off bolts while tightening stuff......

No moose antler pen yet, but I already hauled some in from the shed roof along with some caribou antlers to do just that.

And I don't compete with bears for wood or food scraps - the bears are MY food scraps!!!

And John - I think you nailed it......35154

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-28-2006, 8:34 PM
Good lookin' Barry!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2006, 9:00 PM
Yep, it's gotcha. Nice work.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Well you definitely got to turn some antler Barry. My son is a hunter and routinely finds antler in the woods. He found some a while back that is about 1 1/2 inch thick and got some good stock for pens. You think he is trying to tell me sumpin?

Corey