PDA

View Full Version : New Iron.. Gloat

Don Baer
03-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I picked up the new Rikon Mini today fro m the woodcraft store in Chandler AZ today. I met with the owner and he assured me that if for any reason I wasn't happy with my purchase I could bring it back.

I loaded the box in my truck and took it to my sons house where after spending an appropriate amoint of tme with my grandaughter35113 :D I was allowed to unpack the machine, clean and assemble it. This required minimal effert..next install banjo.

Once I placed it on the bench and fastened the banjo I was ready to go. Unfortunatly all of my turning tools, face shield and blanks are in California.

After cleaning I checked the tailstock and head stock alignment and found that NO adjustment was required. I next plugged it in and turned on the power. The speed is at the lowest speed. It came up to speed and purred. I next changed to speed to max (3900 rpms) and it still purred.

Now I just need to get this puppey home so I can try to make some firewood...:D

dennis kranz
03-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Nice Gloat, I have about another 4 or 5 weeks.
Dennis

Don Baer
03-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Dennis,
The manager said that he has sold quit a numer of theese units bit he also has 7 or 8 in stock,

John Hart
03-28-2006, 6:40 AM
Cool Don!! Bruce Shiverdecker seems real happy with his. Hope you enjoy yourself. This is a second lathe for you isn't it?

Keith Burns
03-28-2006, 8:26 AM
Very nice Don ! We will be patiently (not) waiting to see some bowls off of it.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 8:31 AM
Congrats Don! I hope it serves you well!

Tyler Howell
03-28-2006, 8:37 AM
So don't hold back Don,
Tell us how you really feel about this new toyl?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2006, 8:41 AM
Tyler.....you must be jealous!:D

Tyler.....turning is fun........Tyler....turners attract beautiful ladies.....Tyler spinning is fun.......Tyler beautiful ladie love turners......Tyler

Mike Ramsey
03-28-2006, 9:01 AM
Congratulations Don!

John Miliunas
03-28-2006, 9:28 AM
Now I just need to get this puppey home so I can try to make some firewood...:D

No, no, NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-OOOOO!!!! :mad: The idea is to take the firewood and make it into a Bonker or something similar, not the other way around!!! :D Congrats and have fun with it! We'll be expecting a full user report real soon!!! :) :cool:

Don Baer
03-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Cool Don!! Bruce Shiverdecker seems real happy with his. Hope you enjoy yourself. This is a second lathe for you isn't it?

In a manner of speaking Yes. I've been using a metal Lathe up till now but it's nice to get a machine that is designed for this type of work rather then making do.

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Don congrats on the new lathe. I think you are going to like it. By the way no firewood. We take firewood and make fine delicate pieces. :D

Andy Hoyt
03-28-2006, 12:19 PM
..... By the way no firewood. We take firewood and make fine delicate pieces. :D

Or do what I do.

Start with firewood; attempt making a fine dleicate piece; end up with kindling.

Congrats, Don. Green and white is a good color combo.

John Hart
03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey ya know what....I took Dave Fried's advice and watched the woodworking channel yesterday......boy...did I ever see a cool use for firewood AND kindling....

I'll just tease you and not tell you so's I can surprise you with something tonight.:p

Ron Ainge
03-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Congrats on your new purchase I hope it serves you well.

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2006, 8:05 PM
Congrats Don.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 8:13 PM
Congrats Don on the lathe, it sounds like a good'n. We will be looking forward to seeing sound roundy projects!
Corey

Richard Jones
03-28-2006, 8:50 PM
Don,

I really like mine, however.................

Do yourself a favor and go beg/borrow/steal a 3mm ball end allen wrench and reach down in the spindle lock hole in the headstock and make darn sure that the set screw holding the spindle lock gear is tight. Dribble some red loctite down there when you know it's in the right spot. The set screw fits into a hole in the shaft. If the gear loosens up and turns free on the shaft, then you have to remove the switch, etc, in order to get the set screw holes lined up and replace the set screw. A big pain, so a few minutes now is much better than more than a few minutes later.

Rich (sure, ask me how I know...........) in VA

Barry Stratton
03-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Great gloat. Congrats!

Don Baer
03-29-2006, 1:15 AM
Thanks Guys,

Richard, I will check out the set screw. I prefer the blue locTite.

Thanks

Don Baer
03-29-2006, 1:43 AM
So don't hold back Don,
Tell us how you really feel about this new toyl?

So Tyler, When is your spiney thing arriving ?

After all you seem to be spendi ng an inordinate amount of time on the turning forum. I figure that you'll be making bowls by the Allstar break..:D

Cecil Arnold
03-29-2006, 11:53 AM
And since Tyler likes the Gold Standard, we know which lathe he will be using to make those bowls.