PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws Laguna or Minimax?

Bill Stoffels
03-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Looking for input on a Laguna 16" or a Minimax 16"
please share any thoughts or insoghts you may have
Wich is the better saw or is there another

Jeff Geltz
03-27-2006, 11:18 PM
I don't own a Minimax so I can't comment. I do own a Laguna LT18 and love it. I recently pawed the LT16HD at a wood show and was very impressed. With the 4.5 HP Baldor it is really quite something.

Jamie Buxton
03-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Bill --
The SMC search function works well. Using it, you can find many opinions on this topic.

Chris Barton
03-28-2006, 7:01 AM
Hi Bill,

On this site the MM vs LT is like the red states vs the blue states. Like Jamie said, hit the search button and you will see plenty of opinions...

tod evans
03-28-2006, 7:15 AM
bill, welcome to smc!
honestly the best way for you to make that decision is to see both units in person and preferably drive them. ask on this forum who owns what that you could drive.
personally i chose minimax and can highly recomend both the equipment and service....02 tod

lou sansone
03-28-2006, 7:53 AM
bill, welcome to smc!
honestly the best way for you to make that decision is to see both units in person and preferably drive them. ask on this forum who owns what that you could drive.
personally i chose minimax and can highly recomend both the equipment and service....02 tod

I agree with tod

lou

Mike Wilkins
03-28-2006, 8:58 AM
Let me toss my 2 cents worth in here. I have had a LT18 since 2001 and it has worked fine for me. I got the version that had the Euro style blade guides before the ceramic guides became standard. I have since replaced them with the ceramic guides, with great results. And coupled with the Resaw King carbide tipped blade, I get great resaw results, requiring very little sanding before use.
Try to visit someone with each of these brands you listed before making a decision for a hands-on feel.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Stuart Johnson
03-28-2006, 9:36 AM
I would purchase the MM if for no other reason than a negative impression I've received at two woodshows from Laguna. The Laguna demonstrators came off as if they were doing a favor by allowing the unwashed public to view their machines. Answers to questions went just a bit beyond yes and no. On the other hand MM reps took the time to show all details and talk about needs. I feel each showed just what type of service you might expect from the company. This might not be the case but decisions need to be made somehow.

John Miliunas
03-28-2006, 9:42 AM
The pre-Baldor motor, ceramic guided, Laguna 16 HD in my shop. Love it! :) The ceramic guides are super and unique to LT. However, I think you'd do well with any of the mainstream Euro saws (LT, MM, Agi, etc...). :) :cool:

David Eisenhauer
03-28-2006, 9:45 AM
I own a MM 16 and have had excellant results with the machine and pleasant treatment by the staff (what little interaction I have had). As stated above, there are reviews that compare the two machines (maybe slightly older versions?) in a side-to-side fashion, that may suggest, perhaps, that the MM iron is slightly beefier, but I will not at all stand by that statement. Best of luck.

David

Dan Owen
03-28-2006, 9:50 AM
Bill,

I don't think you'll go wrong with either. After days of researching both companies, I decided to go with Minimax based on their reputation for customer service. When I make a $2500.00 purchase 2000 miles away from home, customer service is very important to me. When I called Laguna, I felt like I was talking to a car salesman and delivery was way out. When I called MM, I felt like I was talking to someone who actually bandsaws and delivery was immediate. My .02 worth.

Rob Nolan
03-28-2006, 10:43 AM
When I was thinking (dreaming) about getting a Laguna I requested info from the Laguna web site. Next thing I know I was called just about everyday by a Laguna sales rep. I felt like I was being hounded by a car dealer. The shipping price to have a Laguna bandsaw delivered to MA was $346! That's also something to think about. Anyway I would be very happy with either I'm sure. Maybe someday ... I'll just have to live with my 14" powermatic. :(

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-28-2006, 12:58 PM
The Laguna demonstrators came off as if they were doing a favor by allowing the unwashed public to view their machines. Answers to questions went just a bit beyond yes and no.
That was the way the FESTERTOOL people treated me when I visited their booth at a recent show. "YAH FEEE GERMANS AUFWAYS DO EVERYZZEEENG RRRIIIGGGHHTTTTT!!!" Then, of course, I had the temerity to ask about a show discount.
I should have left the guy with my card after he was so uppity.

I hear Laguna has some serious customer service issues. I had been considering a Laguna TSS sliding Table but one of the deal killers was that the sales geek was utterly unable to discuss technical aspects of the saw that weren't already in the sales materials. He was also stupidly unapologetic about it.
COMPARE TO
The guy from Felder took his phone into the assembly supply cage and pulled parts off the shelves and measured them to answer my questions.

I asked the Laguna guy why he thought I might buy a $5000.00+ machine "sight unseen" without so much as the ability to get some technical information I want? He didn't have access to an assembly manual, a technical sheet or anything unless it was marketing literature.
The Lagune guy is willing to toss the shipping charges and deck out two machines ( a band saw and a Table saw) with all the options for free.

Meanwhile I contacted MiniMax and requested Machine Specific information and literature. I don't have it yet - it's been over a week.

Ahh well It's only money. If I don't spend it here my grand kids will spend it when I'm gone. Either way it'll get spent. Not to worry.

Hey Rob: What's the name of your Laguna Rep. Mine is named Frank. Are they the same guy?

Scott Brihn
03-28-2006, 1:44 PM
Hello Bill,

I bought a Laguna 16HD four years ago (pre-Baldor motor). The saw works as advertised for me. My experience with their customer service has been fine. My original fence was scratched and they sent me a replacement at no charge within days. At the time I was shopping, Minimax didn't seem to be marketing to the serious hobbyist (the way they are now) and thus were not on my radar.

The Italian motor on my saw runs a bit hot but has not affected performance.
I use the saw a fair amount (for extended periods) and feel if the motor was going to break prematurely it would have already done so.

I have used both the Euro and ceramic guides. I had some initial concern about the ceramic guides but have grown to appreciate the increased stability they provide.

nic obie
03-28-2006, 1:49 PM
Cliff,

Ask for Jim Strain. He is the owner and a great guy. If Jim isn't around talk to Dain. He is a old timer with MM and knows his stuff.

Rob Nolan
03-28-2006, 2:05 PM
Cliff,

I don't remember the guys name ... wasn't Frank.

I think Laguna has great machines I just wish they had better ways of selling them. I don't like the "I only have one left and the next shipment is 4-6 weeks out" or the "I can only give you this price today" tactics. They must work on commission ... I guess I can't blame them ... I can always just say no ... like I did. Also an east coast distribution center might be a good idea to bring down shipping costs for us east coasters.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-28-2006, 2:14 PM
I mis-stated the time line on my MiniMax info request.
It's only been 5 days.

It just feels like more than week.
Time passes slowly when one is in a state of anticipation.

Ooops

Matt Slayen
03-28-2006, 2:19 PM
I have had a Laguna LT18 for the last 4 years. I have never had to contact customer service for anything. The saw has worked perfectly since the day it was set up.

I agree that the sales guys are pushy. I also found the MM show people to be rude and more interested in the "chicks" at the Dewalt booth, then talking about the saw.

I think that in all the discussions on the saws, the custormer service and show experience are given way too much consideration. They are mere seconds compared to the hours, days and years you will spend with the saw.

Find people who have the saws you are interested in and test drive them.

Jon Healy
03-28-2006, 7:25 PM
I will second searching out Dain. He sold me on the MM16 when I was also on the fence for a Laguna. We spent about 90 minutes on the phone ( his dime ) after he e-mailed me a bunch of pics comparing the two saws.
( Dain is west coast - at least he used to be - so take that into account when/if you contact him. )

It seems that customer service after the sale is what really is different between the two companies and I don't think that you'll get too much argument about that.

Since I bought mine I haven't wanted another saw and I don't think that I will. It has the 3.6 hp motor and it has more than enough power for me.

My 2 cents.

Jon in American Fork

Gary Herrmann
03-28-2006, 8:41 PM
I've had the new model MM16 for over year. Been very pleased with it. No problems at all. Also bought from Dain. If I ever figure out a way to get some of their bigger stuff down the stairs to my shop, I'll buy again - after saving my pennys.

A combo J/P would be sweeeeettt

Dave Malen
03-28-2006, 9:08 PM
I've had a Laguna 14se for about 7 months now and have not had any problems with it's operation.Indeed, I couldn't be happier with it. The ceramic guides are impressive. When I took delivery of the saw the top wheel cover had a slight nick on it. I called customer service and complained about it. I was asked if I had checked the shipping box for damage. I replied that I did. The service rep told me I could have a new cover but it would take several months for it to be shipped from Europe. I was offered several free blades which I turned down. To my amazement the new cover arrived less than a week later. Make your own inference.

Dave

Chuck Powell
03-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I looked at the LT-16HD and MM16. Liked em both...a LOT! Decided on the MM16 based on feedback and a nice test drive at a fellow WWers shop. I got the standard show discount package(3 blades, mobility kit, etc).

I've had my MM16 for around three weeks. It is sweet. I can't believe how easy and fast it is to change blades and set up the guides. I really ask myself why I waited so long to get a bandsaw. I'm in love.

So...
1. Buy the MM16 with the free blades, etc.
2. Buy a few Timberwolf blades from Sufolk Machinery.
3. Clean and set up the saw when it comes in.
4. Make sawdust and grin widely!!!