PDA

View Full Version : Oak & Walnut Box...

Corey Hallagan
03-27-2006, 9:00 PM
Hi all. This is a box that I started several weeks ago and just got around to finishing this week end. Walnut box with oak lid and miter keys, walnut knob. Wipe on oil finish.

Thanks for looking,
Corey

Todd Davidson
03-27-2006, 9:05 PM
Hey Cori~

Lookin' good. What are the dimensions? Any intended purpose?

In peace, Todd

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 9:08 PM
Nicely done. Corey. I like the splined corners, and the balance of contrast in the details. (Dark handle and light miter keys.)

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
03-27-2006, 9:09 PM
Very nice Corey! Do you cut the miter keys on the TS? The new AWW has an interesting article on a jig for cutting the slots with your plate joiner.

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 9:13 PM
Very nice, Corey. Attractive!

Corey Hallagan
03-27-2006, 9:20 PM
Thanks guys. Todd the box is a small one. 3 X 5 1/2. No real intended purpose, just a little do dad box. :) Bruce, yes I cut them on the TS using a shopmade jig like many seen here before. I will have to check that article out.

Corey

Chris DiCiaccio
03-27-2006, 9:30 PM
That is one good looking box. Great work!

Corey Hallagan
03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks Jim & Chris! Jim, I think I like walnut as much as you like Cherry!

Corey

Roy Wall
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Great joint work Corey!! Love the woods and the keys!!

Nice!:) You make it look easy.......

Michael Stafford
03-28-2006, 6:00 AM
Excellent, Corey. A very smart looking box, nice and clean in appearance. Good job!!!:D

David Fried
03-28-2006, 6:05 AM
Very nice Corey! Looks really tight and I like the contrast between the woods. That's a nice little handle, too.

Dave Fried

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 8:28 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Mike, I am always interested in what any critisism you can offer on boxes.

Corey

Jim Dunn
03-28-2006, 8:33 AM
Corey I like your little box. Very pretty, but uhhh----------it aint round??

John Miliunas
03-28-2006, 9:44 AM
Nice job, Corey!!! :) Small boxes are one of my favorite projects and you've done a great job with this one. Keep it up! :cool:

John Buzzurro
03-28-2006, 5:05 PM
Cory, nice box. I like the contrasting woods.

John Olson
03-28-2006, 6:37 PM
I am a box builder my self and love to see other peoples work. Did you line the inside with any thing? If you were to sell this box at a yard sale what value would you put on it?

Corey Hallagan
03-28-2006, 7:39 PM
Thanks guys! Jim, I haven't given up flat work for the lathe :) I plan on working them both together for pen boxes, desk sets etc. I just like to do boxes like this and I have alot to learn yet!

John, thanks I am a huge fan of boxes and love to see others make as well. I lined the inside with blue velvetine material that you can see in the one photo. Sell it at a yard sale...... that's a tough one. Regardless of what I put on it people wouldn't buy it here for more than a buck at a yard sale. Yard sales are strictly for bargains around here. If I was selling it at a craft show..... I expect that I would want $15.00 - $20.00 for it. Don't know if anyone would buy it but ......

Thanks all,
Corey

Chris Barton
04-04-2006, 7:18 PM
Corey,

I think that $15-20 would be a bargain. Here in Nashville we have a huge flea market once a month at the state fair grounds and I have seen simple pine boxes go for $20/ea. Nice pieces like your with great details such as the miter splines go for at least double that! Are you using flocking for the inside or the adhesive felt? I have been meaning to get one of the flockers (I better watch my fingers or I will flock this up) to do some interiors.