PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Jet Tools

Keith Beck
03-27-2006, 4:13 PM
My brother recently got a job at a woodworking store, so I now have the opportunity to get some killer deals on Jet tools. Specifically, I'm looking at purchasing an 18" bandsaw and a cabinet table saw sometime in the near future.

The thing is, when I read comparisons of 18" bandsaws in this forum and others, I seem to always see comparisons of Delta, Rikon, Minimax, Laguna, Agganzi (SP?) and Grizzly. Not much mention of Jet.

The same goes for the table saw, it's always Unisaw vs. General vs. Powermatic vs. Grizzly and even Bridgewood. Not much input from the Jet supporters. Are there any out there? Are Jet tools not the well built machines that I thought they were?

Can someone shed some light on this phenomenon? Am I missing something?

Keith

Dave Falkenstein
03-27-2006, 4:23 PM
I have and use several Jet tools, including a cabinet saw and a 14" band saw. Other Jet tools in my home shop are a planer, drill press and disc/belt sander. I have had nothing but good results in my use of Jet tools, and I would buy another one with no hesitation. Jet's customer service, when and if you need it, is superb. The other brands you mentioned are good tools, from what I have read. I think the reality of the situation is that there are several manufacturers of good tools, and a buyer would be hard pressed to make a mistake buying any of those name brand tools, providing he/she does the appropriate research to be sure expectations are met. Certainly, one brand will have a better tool in one category and not necessarily in every category. But it is hard to find a "bad" tool among the brands you mentioned. If you can get a deal on Jet tools, go for it.

Ken Salisbury
03-27-2006, 5:11 PM
I am a big supporter of Jet tools. I guess you could call me a "Jet Freak" I have a 15" Planer (15 years), 6" Jointer (15 years), Cabinet Saw (10 years), 2 Mini Lathes, 1642VS Lathe, 17" Drill Press, 14" Band Saw, 10x20 Belt Sander and a Bench Top Mortiser.

ALL of these machines have performed trouble free over long periods of time with heavy usage. I have only had to contact their Customer Support one time for a broken switch on my first Mini Lathe which they sent overnight at no charge even though I told them I broke it myself while unpacking it. You can't beat that :).

I can't even begin to estimate how many 1000's bd ft of lumber I have run through the planer. It performs today as well as it did on the first day of usage.

I have been a hobby woodworker for over 55 years and have used just about every other brand of power tools at some time or other. I have owned some Grizzly, Delta, General, Craftsman, just to name a FEW. I have always recommended Jet for medium priced power tools and still do today.

Visit my web site for a small sample of "Jet made stuff" :)

Steve Hayes
03-27-2006, 5:16 PM
I to have a few Jet tools but it seems that they are the red headed stepchild of the woodworking world. Couldn't tell you why, they are great tools.

JayStPeter
03-27-2006, 5:18 PM
Jet are darn good tools. I have a couple.

In both the bandsaw and cabinet saw categories, the Jet is neither the high end or the price leader. It seems most people either want the higher end, or least expensive.

In the 18" bandsaw category, the "bang for the buck" leader seems to be Rikon, with the Grizzly as the low price contender. The MM, Laguna, and Agazanni are the high end saws with prices to match. The Jet just falls somewhere in between. It doesn't have the mass or power of the high end saws or the features of the bang for the buck leaders. Still a good saw though, if you can get a really good deal on it.

The Jet cabinet saw again isn't the price leader of the Grizzly or the high end PM. It falls in between and really compares directly to the Unisaw. There have been some good deals around on Unisaws lately that have overshadowed the Jet based on price. For my decision, I chose the cheaper of the Uni vs. Jet. I happened to get the Uni for a few hunderd dollars less so that's what I have. If my brother was able to get me a good deal on a Jet at the time, that's what I would own ;) .

Consider all the options and make your decision per tool. In some cases, a good deal on Jet from your brother might make it a no brainer.

Jay

Lars Thomas
03-27-2006, 5:20 PM
I've been happy with my Jet stuff (cabinet saw and band saw). I think they represent a good value. Lars

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 5:23 PM
All of the Jet tools I've owned have performed well and are/were good values.

Specific to the 18" bandsaw, the earlier version was not too well thought of at first. They have a new model out now, I believe, that offers a more competitive feature/specification compliment.

Jeff DeVore
03-27-2006, 5:39 PM
I have a Jet 15" planer and a Jet 18" bandsaw. I have had very little trouble with the planer except that the 3 belts that came with it could not be adjusted to not slip. After much phone conversation they backordered new belts for me aknowledging that they had had some problems with the belts sent out on the planers. I couldn't wait for the backordered belts and went down to the local parts store and bought 3 belts that fit. 2 months later they finally sent me 2 of the 3 belts they promised me and after 3 years I have not seen the third belt. The bandsaw has been another story. I use it to resaw 3/4" 7" wide oak into 1/4 inch. From the start it has been underpowered and within 2 years of use the bottom spindle broke in two. The local Jet dealer sold me a spindle for what the said was next to cost. I'm not sure whether I don't know how to adjust it or not but no matter what blade I use it wobbles slightly left and right. I finally bought a 3 hp Baldor motor for $300.00 and replaced the smaller motor that it came with as it was always overheating and I would have to shut it off to let it cool. Now it will resaw the pieces that I need with no problem at all and the motor is cool to the touch after 2 hours of resawing. I think if I were to buy another piece of machinery for so much money I would probabley double it and buy a more robust unit. Hope this helps, Jeff.

Chris Damm
03-27-2006, 6:03 PM
I have seven Jet tools and all perform quite well. The oldest is about 8 years old and hasn't had any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more in the future.

Chris

Kent Fitzgerald
03-27-2006, 6:07 PM
I have three Jet tools (contractor's saw, bandsaw, and mortiser), which have worked well for me. However, I didn't (and wouldn't) pay full price for any of them; the TS and BS were bought used, and the mortiser at a healthy discount.

I think Jet's prices have become unrealistic, especially with Grizzly offering comparable tools for 25-30% less. Unless you have a really good local dealer, there's nothing special about Jet that would justify the premium prices they're asking.

Jim Bell
03-27-2006, 6:25 PM
I have a Jet jointer and band saw. they work well in a small shop where there is occasional use and little abuse. Anything past that in my opinion is asking for problems. They are good tools in general I just dont feel heavy service is advisable.
Jim:)

scott spencer
03-27-2006, 6:30 PM
Many of the Jet tools come from the same factories in Taiwan as Grizzly, GI, Bridgewood, Woodtek, and even some PM. They have a good reputation and a dealer network. A premium price might deter me a bit, but if you can get good deals, I'd see no reason not to jump in.

lou sansone
03-27-2006, 6:34 PM
jet are very decent tools

lou

Tyler Howell
03-27-2006, 7:06 PM
Jet DC, 14"BS, and air cleaner. Very happy guy:cool:
I only want for more BS;)

Martin Shupe
03-27-2006, 7:19 PM
I swore off Jet Tools when my 5HP table saw motor died prematurely, a couple months out of warranty. I had barely used the saw, as I bought it before I actually had any time or place to woodwork. If you search threads started by me, it is one of my first ones here.

Bottom line is their 5HP motor is in a case that was too small to cool the windings, and will not last. The saw is built around the motor, so you cannot buy an American (think Baldor) that will fit the saw. My only choices were to buy a new motor from Jet (one that would have a short life span) at a ridiculous "discounted" price, or get my motor rewound. I had my motor rewound with components much superior to the original, and am convinced that I now have a motor that will last a lifetime.

I saw on another board that at least one other customer had the same problem with their 5HP motor.

I don't think much of their fence system, either. The locking mechanism is prone to slippage, which is downright dangerous when cutting sheet goods.

I already have too many Jet products in my shop. There will be no more.

Mike Cutler
03-27-2006, 7:32 PM
I have the Jet 6" jointer, 15" planer, 14" bandsaw, DC-1100 dust collector, and JWTS-10, contractor saw.
At work I have a Jet 20" drill press, and an gearhead milling machine to play with, at times.
All of them do what they are supposed to do, most were bought on sale, so the price difference was a non factor.

The 6" jointer is a great little jointer. It's too light(weight wise) for the big stuff I have been doing lately, but I have been using it beyond it's capability, and I know it. I'll get a bigger one only for the weight and table length.

The 15" planer is a little beast. I have thrown some pretty rank wood at that planer, and it just keeps going. The infeed/oufeed rollers are kinda cheesey, but I've been able to work around them to date.

The 14" bandsaw is a nice lightweight bandsaw. I never could get it too resaw consistently, but it's too nice to kick to the curb. It compliments my Rikon 18' bandsaw that is setup for resawing only. I picked the Rikon over the Jet 18" because at the time the Jet had a max 10" resaw, and the Rikon was 12". When I looked at the motor on the Jet, it looked a little too small to be a real 2Hp motor. The guides on the Rikon were much beefier than the Jet at the time.

The contractor saw was a great saw for me for over 12 years. I just finally wanted a little more than it was capable of giving, and I wanted better dust collection. It's still in the shop though. It sits back to back with a General Hybrid saw now. Each saw acts as the outfeed table for the other.

The Jet's are fine machine. I have had no problems with any of mine, when used within the boundries of their design. Sometimes I think that people's expectations are a little too high for machinery in this price range.

Jim Young
03-27-2006, 7:38 PM
I have two Jet tools, overhead air filter and the 15" planer. I love the air filter, fairly quiet and it has a timer. As for the planer, I hate it. It leaks oil, already tried to fix it three times.

As with any company you can get great or bad tools. I don't have anything against Jet, just that the planer has left me with a bad experience.

If I were buying a TS, I would not get the Jet, I would stick with one of the units that has the heavier trunions like the PM and General (I recall).

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Just FYI Jet and Powermatic are the same company.

I have owned the Jet cabinet saw with 52” fence and am 110% happy with it. SWEET!!!!!!!!!

Delta prices have gone down on the unisaw because it is now made with more overseas parts. Castings are from Mexico if I remember right. Check it out but I don’t think it is supplied with a Balder Motor anymore.

tod evans
03-28-2006, 7:22 AM
keith, if your brother is able to get fair pricing on jet he is also able to get fair pricing on powermatic. both brands are owned and marketed by wmh tool group and powermatic is their flagship line. for tai/chi tools jet ain`t bad but powermatic`s better......02 tod

Jim Davenport
03-28-2006, 8:06 AM
The Magic Garage has Mostly Jet tools, I bought in the early nineties. A Jet contractor saw, 14" Band saw, 6" jointer, and a 1HP shaper.
Bearing in mind that I'm just a hobbiest, they've given me good service.
I added a kit with machined pulley's and a segmented belt to the contractor saw, and it still runs smooth enough to balance a nickle on the table.
If I had a commercial shop, I'd probably want something a little better.
I'm currently "drooling" over a Jet 16X42 lathe. I'd Like the Powermatic, but the extra cost is a little too much.:(

Mark Singer
03-28-2006, 8:20 AM
I have many Jet tools....my 15" Planer, Combination Disc/ Belt sander, Spindle Sander, Bench top Mortiser, and 14" bandsaw. They are very good and a good value. When I had any problems, they stood behind the product! Replaced a scratched table on a Bandsaw....and replaced an entire 18" bandsaw that had a vibration problem...since then they re designed the saw and stiffened the spine... I repalced with the Aggazani which is really in a different class again.
But a good company and very good stuff!

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-28-2006, 8:45 AM
OK Kieth what is the discount?
You know, of course, that now you have made this announcement you are under an affirmative duty to purchase tools on discount for everyone here.

Dave Falkenstein
03-28-2006, 9:15 AM
I don't think much of their fence system, either. The locking mechanism is prone to slippage, which is downright dangerous when cutting sheet goods.

Martin - have you checked your fence to be sure the little pads that are glued to the springy metal bars that rub on the front of the rail mounting tube are in place??? If those pads come off, the fence will not lock down properly. Some of the Jet Xacta fences had a problem with the glue on the pads some time back. Jet replaced mine free of charge and out of warranty.

Keith Beck
03-28-2006, 9:32 AM
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm not sure if my decision just became easier or more difficult. :)

I realize that I could also get Powermatic tools from him, and I've drooled over the PM2000, but even with his discount, the PM2000 is a large chunk of change. It would probably be a lot harder to get my accountant (aka LOML) to agree to an investment that big. I guess I'll have to continue saving my pennies. A PM bandsaw is definitely a no-go. They don't have an 18" BS and their 20" BS starts at around $3,000. Yikes!

I'd love to be able to hook everyone here up with the discount, but my brother had to twist his boss' arm just to get the discount for me. Sorry. Besides, I doubt if you'd want to drive to the backwoods of DE to pick up your tools anyways.

Keith

Kyle Kraft
03-28-2006, 9:34 AM
I have a Jet cabinet saw, planer, jointer, band saw, and drill press and have been very satisfied with price, performance and overall value. I don't thrash my tools but I had a Jet bandsaw at a former employer which was thrashed and held up very well in an industrial environment.

I paid a little extra for the fresh off-white paint, but when you figure in the time, effort, and $$$ to repaint over the Grizzly green I think I came out ahead.

Oh, one problem. I split the depth rod/quill clamp on the drill press when I overtightened the locking screw, but I simply cranked out a new one in the machine shop at work out of some 1/2" CRS plate.

Another happy:) Jet customer,

Kyle

Jerry Olexa
03-28-2006, 11:09 AM
I have a Jet Bandsaw, mortiser, air cleaner and have been pleased with their performance. Generally good value also...

Mike Cutler
03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Martin - have you checked your fence to be sure the little pads that are glued to the springy metal bars that rub on the front of the rail mounting tube are in place??? If those pads come off, the fence will not lock down properly. Some of the Jet Xacta fences had a problem with the glue on the pads some time back. Jet replaced mine free of charge and out of warranty.

Dave.
Did they replace your whole fence, or just the little plasic piece? Mine also came off, so I reglued it, and attached a piece of 400 grit sandpaper to it. The fence hasn't moved on me in years.

Dave Falkenstein
03-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Dave.
Did they replace your whole fence, or just the little plasic piece? Mine also came off, so I reglued it, and attached a piece of 400 grit sandpaper to it. The fence hasn't moved on me in years.

Mike - Jet sent me a new set of pads, apparently with a different adhesive. There was no reason to replace the fence, just because the pads would not stay put. With the new pads, there has been no problem for at least two or three years.

Martin Shupe
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Mike and Dave,

Yes, I have the new pads, but you still have to be careful, as those little pads don't always stay glued where they should, and "creep" over time.

Alan Tolchinsky
03-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I have a Jet mini lathe and 6" jointer and both have been flawless in their operation. But as you can see no company makes everything perfect all the time.