PDA

View Full Version : New Shop: Part the 8, I Declare it A Shop!!

John Bailey
03-27-2006, 2:53 PM
Although the shop is far from done, since I hooked up the electricity last weekend, I'm itching to get started on a project. So, I declare this place a shop and I'm gonna' get to some woodworking. I still only have two inside walls done, I've got some trim on the outside to finish and the temporary windows still have plastic. The floors will stay plywood till I get a planer. That being said, the first project will start. I'm gonna build myself a cedar strip sea kayak.

The first picture is of the North Wall. I call this my dirty wall because I plan on keeping the dirty stuff, like chainsaw and old oily machine parts on that wall. I'll do most of the mill work over here.

The next picture is of the East Wall. This will be the main entrance with a double door that will allow me to get 7ft. wide projects in and out with ease.

The South Wall will be where I do most of the actual woodworking. My handtools will be here along with my bandsaw (if I ever get one) where the radial arm saw is now.

35067 35070

The West Wall will be where the radial arm saw will end up along with tool storage. Presently I have bare insulation for walls, which eventually be diangonal t&g. There will be a back entrance that will also open to a storage room that will house the cyclone.

I'll have a few more pictures in another post.

John

tod evans
03-27-2006, 3:12 PM
way to go john! looks like a shop to me too....02 tod

John Bailey
03-27-2006, 3:17 PM
We'll continue with a couple of shots of the ceiling. The South ceiling will be insulated. I took a shot before I got it done so you could see how I was doing it. The North ceiling is plastic roofing to let in the north work light.

35079 35078

The last pictures are of my latest machine aquisitions. They are a combination sander that I got on a visit to Creeker Mike Evertsen, and a Parks 12" Planer that I'm picking up this weekend. I'll have more pictures on the planer when I get it. These machines will combine with a 6" Grizzly jointer, an old DeWalt radial arm saw and yet to be purchased drill press and bandsaw. I'd like to find an old 15" Delta/Rockwell drill press and and old Rockwell 20" bandsaw to round out the shop.

35080 35081

Well folks, that's my shop. It's been a year and a half in the process and it would appear I'll never really be done. But, it's time to get to work.

John

John Bailey
03-27-2006, 3:19 PM
Hey Todd, Mr. 2000

Get another post in here so we can see the number 2000 by your name.

John

Richard Wolf
03-27-2006, 3:52 PM
That's a good looking space.

Richard

Todd Davidson
03-27-2006, 4:04 PM
Hey John~

Lookin' good!!! Certainly takes time to get it all together. Safe travels on your trip to Long Island (rumour has it there's a savage stair builder running around there so be careful! :D )

In Peace, Todd

Mike Wilkins
03-27-2006, 4:26 PM
Looking good John. I had a Parks planer for a while until replacing it with a combo jointer/planer. It may only be a 12" planer, but this is a heavy duty 12" machine, not the lunchbox. Good luck with the interior finishing.

John Bailey
03-27-2006, 4:31 PM
Thanks Mike,

The Parks is just what I was looking for. Not too big, but heavily built. As far as the interior of the shop, it's going to stay that way for awhile, except for some electrical work. As I said before, I'm itchin' to get started on my kayak.

John

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 5:14 PM
Good progress, John. 'Looks like you'll get some very nice light from that roof treatment, too.

Hopefully you can get those other walls covered soon so the kraft paper is no longer exposed! ;)

Frank Pellow
03-27-2006, 6:04 PM
Yep it's a shop. And declaring it so is a big milestone. Congratulations John!

John Bailey
03-27-2006, 6:19 PM
Frank,

Declaring it a shop is certainly a big milestone, but starting a project will really be the start.

John

Jim Dunn
03-27-2006, 6:20 PM
Turn up the music and "Get R Done". Me thinks ZZtop would do.

lou sansone
03-27-2006, 6:36 PM
great progress in the shop.. I am with Jim on wishing you a speedy journey to cover the craft paper walls .

Lou

Pete Harbin
03-27-2006, 6:43 PM
It's got tools and power...it's a shop!

Congrats John!

Pete

Tyler Howell
03-27-2006, 7:03 PM
Tools and Tunes,
Has all the ingredients for a shop.
Congrats John.

John Bailey
03-27-2006, 8:52 PM
Jim,

ZZ, Kansas, Steppenwolf and Jerry Garcia and the Boys have been frequent visitors to the shop. As have Mozart, Greig, Bach, Villa-Lobos and Mahler. My shop is multi-cultural. The stereo is my most used tool.

John

Bruce Page
03-27-2006, 9:02 PM
It sure looks like a shop to me and a nice one at that! What’s all that white stuff out on the ground, some kind of blow insulation? :D

Todd Davidson
03-27-2006, 9:03 PM
Hey John~

Next time you have Jerry over let me know. I miss that guy.

In peace, Todd

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 9:04 PM
Of all the shops I've seen, that's indeed one of them. Congrats on getting this far, and looking forward to seeing that kayak documented here in the future.

- Vaughn

Mark Singer
03-27-2006, 9:06 PM
John,
It really looks great! Lots of light ...a great work space!

Tom Hamilton
03-27-2006, 9:07 PM
Sure looks like a shop from this angle. Hope you have many happy hours there.

Congratulations on finishing it. Best regards, Tom