PDA

View Full Version : Home "crafted" Pen blanks

Steve Culbertson
03-27-2006, 2:49 PM
I have only been turning for about 2 months, but I have some hidden desire to dress up what I have been doing. Yesterday I took an Ash pen blank (had more ash than anything) cut it on a 45 with my chop saw. Then made a wafer of Bloodwood. Next I glued them together. Unfortunately there were small differences in the angles, leaving small gaps between layers. (must need a tuneup on the 'ole chop saw.) I used CA glue to bond the wood together. Ok now to my question(s)...What "should" be used to glue the different kinds of wood together. Any tips techniques that 'yall have would be appreciated. I may end up needing more euipment (darn) because the saw that I have is a $99 delta miter saw. Should it be more accurate than it is, etc.

Anyway the pen turned out kinda neat. The gaps made an almost even line between colors. (But I know....)

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2006, 3:06 PM
I think the Delta saw is fine. I just got done glueing some wood and used Gorilla glue. I was surprised at how strong it is and waterproof to boot. I think Titebond or Elmers and maybe even CA would all work. I am no expert but will probably stick with the Gorilla glue for now.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-27-2006, 4:54 PM
Gluing wood to wood, I use Tightbond. For Corian to wood, I use CA. For wood to brass tubes, I use CA and Gorilla glue; three times as much CA as I want a quick turnaround. Others also use 5 minute epoxy with good results.

Bruce

Steve Culbertson
03-28-2006, 3:14 PM
Thanks for the help...any other tips?

Raymond Overman
03-28-2006, 3:28 PM
For pen laminates I use CA since I'm not a patient enough for titebond to set up. I figure it will get support from the brass tubing and I've yet to have a problem, knock on wood.

I also use my bandsaw with a sled to cut the angles. You can clean up saw marks from your miter saw with a disc sander or ROS prior to gluing for a better "fit and finish". I've also found that contrasting piece of veneer (light wood between two pieces of dark, dark between two pieces of light) makes for a nicer transition.

Experimenting with slim lines is the way to go. All of your friends will oooh and ahhh when you start handing out the ones you aren't happy with.