PDA

View Full Version : The Far Side

Glenn Hodges
03-27-2006, 2:44 PM
This is the other side of that log from which the NE bowl I posted yesterday was made. I have never done this sort of thing before, well maybe only a time or two. What are your comments about leaving the hole rather than patching it as I normally do on a NE bowl? Your input would be appreciated.

Keith Burns
03-27-2006, 2:48 PM
Man Glenn, you're killing me here. This makes two perfect ones in a row:) I'm glad you left the hole. Adds much more interest than a patch would. Great Job.

John Miliunas
03-27-2006, 2:54 PM
Glenn, leaving it "Au naturale" gets my vote! :) Beautifully done piece, BTW! What was your finishing routine on it? Looks great! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2006, 3:03 PM
Glenn that is awesome. Great work. I hope to do one of those soon.

Mark Cothren
03-27-2006, 3:16 PM
Keith beat me to it... you're KILLIN' me here...:D

I love the bowl and think the hole just gives is a boost of character (like it needs any boost :rolleyes:).

That finish looks like it is coated in glass. Very nice!

Thanks for the pictures!

Bill Grumbine
03-27-2006, 3:22 PM
Glenn, two great looking bowls you have posted from this tree! The big difference is that you can charge more for the one with the hole in it.

Bill

Mark Patoka
03-27-2006, 3:26 PM
Very nice looking. I say for a natural knothole that size to leave it as is. I think filling a hole that size would look out of place. It adds character to the piece.

Chris Barton
03-27-2006, 4:44 PM
Stunning work as always. I love the finish!

Gary Max
03-27-2006, 4:49 PM
I add extra for the holes-----Great job.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2006, 4:49 PM
Glenn.......stunning......the hole just adds to the feel of the whole piece! Stunning!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-27-2006, 4:50 PM
Definitely.........LEAVE THE HOLE. You won't believe the comments I get on ones where I left the hole.

I'm startin' to get envious of your work! Haven't seen anything but WINNERS from you.

LOL

Bruce

Jim Ketron
03-27-2006, 4:56 PM
Great job on both NE Bowls Glenn!
I agree with the others, natural is better IMO.
Simply Beautiful!

Tom Jones III
03-27-2006, 5:05 PM
Beautiful bowl. Definitely keep it natural.

Glenn Hodges
03-27-2006, 5:30 PM
Well thanks everyone, now I am glad I left the hole like I did. John, I have started using Deft spray lacquer on all my natural edge bowls. I don't think anyone eats out of them. I did have a lady in Florida that said she was going to put some Saran Wrap in the bottom of one and put cold cuts in one of my NE mesquite platters, and you all can guess what I told her....Great idea. will that be cash or check?

Mark Cothren
03-27-2006, 5:33 PM
...will that be cash or check?

LOL! :D :D :D

Michael Stafford
03-27-2006, 5:37 PM
When Glenn turns a piece of wood with a hole in it, it is art. When I turn a hole in a piece of wood it is firewood.... I want to be like Glenn. Of course Glenn turns most every piece of wood into art.....:D This one is no exception.

doug webb
03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Great just as it is.

Curt Fuller
03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I clicked on this post expecting to see one those crazy Gary Larson cartoons. He's one of my favorites. But I wasn't disappointed with the NE Cherry either. Those are both beautiful!

By the way, I'm glad you didn't patch the hole.

dennis kranz
03-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Leave more holes, it looks great.
Dennis

Vaughn McMillan
03-28-2006, 4:21 AM
It's not a hole, it's the pouring spout. Gorgeous piece, Glenn. I always love seeing your work.

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-28-2006, 4:47 AM
It's not a hole, it's the pouring spout. Gorgeous piece, Glenn. I always love seeing your work.

- Vaughn

...or a finger grip... :D

Very nice job!!

doug webb
03-28-2006, 6:34 AM
I hope you don't mind. I just took a second and tenth look at your NE hole bowl. Then I set it as my background for inspiration and incentive. It is just a pleasure to look at.

John Hart
03-28-2006, 6:47 AM
I clicked on this post expecting to see one those crazy Gary Larson cartoons. .....

Yup...me too. Gary Larson started his career as an Entomologist. I was expecting a Bug Bonker!

What a pleasant surprise Glenn. The hole is a wonderful feature. The piece is beautiful over all.:)

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2006, 7:52 PM
I don't know Glenn... I think I'd put some duct tape over it:eek:

That black cherry sure is some nice wood and you did a great job on it and the other one. The hole looks like a good place for a thumb for picking it up.:) I like the hole.

Ernie