PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Big Chuck Jaws

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2006, 2:00 PM
Well, for some arbitrarily low value of "big": remember, they're for a Jet Mini. Assuming I ever get around to actually turning a bowl, I'll have the right widget to hold it while I finish the bottom. Amazing what you can do with some 1/4" MDF and $6 worth of stuff from the hardware store...
Lower-right jaw in the first picture is flipped over to show the chuck-side face. That's a cheap ceramic bowl in the second picture, just to see how it works: you can't tell because of the flash, but it was actually turning about 600RPM when the picture was taken.

They'll handle out to about 7.5" before the jaws fall out of the chuck...I now know what a "travel limit pin" is.:p

John Miliunas
03-27-2006, 2:02 PM
Ahem....Am I detecting some tell-tale scorch marks on that there MDF??? Hmmmmm???? Would this be the product of a certain laser-type piece of equipment in your possession??? :confused: :rolleyes: Neat!!!!:D :cool:

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2006, 2:05 PM
Ahem....Am I detecting some tell-tale scorch marks on that there MDF??? Hmmmmm???? Would this be the product of a certain laser-type piece of equipment in your possession??? :confused: :rolleyes: Neat!!!!:D :cool:Yup. The laser won't actually drill holes...but it will cut very small circles.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2006, 6:37 PM
Looks pretty good Lee. I was going to say I bet it has been laserized.

Andy Hoyt
03-27-2006, 7:25 PM
..... Amazing what you can do with some 1/4" MDF and $6 worth of stuff from the hardware store........

And a 47 billion dollar laserizer!

Corey Hallagan
03-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Neat idea Lee, you sure getting your money's worth out of that lazer. Very cool!

Corey

Barry Stratton
03-28-2006, 1:51 AM
Great job Lee, are you related to Stu????

Vaughn McMillan
03-28-2006, 4:10 AM
Hey...don't be putting any ideas into Stu's head. Stu gets a laser = Goodbye Tokyo. :eek:

Must be handy having an photon drill press, Lee. :p Cool looking jaws, though.

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-28-2006, 4:43 AM
Hey, of course I have a lazer, didn't you guys know that Tokyo started a local milita, the next time that Godzilla guy comes to town, he is not smashing nothing, we are going to cook his hide!! :D:D

mmmmm..... lazers......;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-28-2006, 4:44 AM

Lee, I'm taking this as a major compliment, as you have done a great job there on them large jaws!! :D

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
03-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey, of course I have a lazer, didn't you guys know that Tokyo started a local milita, the next time that Godzilla guy comes to town, he is not smashing nothing, we are going to cook his hide!! :D:DHe'll have air support this time around, now that Mothra* is out of jail.:eek:

(*"Mothra" is, of course, the real name of Martha Stewart, AKA "The Evil One".:D )