PDA

View Full Version : Help with stairs

Dennis McDonaugh
03-27-2006, 1:02 PM
I want to replace our carpeted stairs with hardwood and have figured out the mechanics of keeping the rise and run the same. I'm going to replace the riser part of the stair with poplar and the tread with oak. My problem is I have no access to the back side of the stairs because part of it is an angled ceiling in a bathroom. I am thinking glueing and face nailing the treads to the stringers. I want to hide the nail heads by using a gouge to lift a little wood and shoot a 16 gauge nail into the depression. Does this sound feasable? Is a 16 gauge nail adequate in this instance with construction adhesive doing most of the work? I'm hoping I can glue the piece back down to hide the nail hole.

Thanks

Brian Parker
03-27-2006, 1:20 PM
If you don't want any nail holes I got two words for ya 'Liquid Nails'

Give me Liquid Nails, Super Glue and Duct Tape and I can fix anything ;)

Steve Clardy
03-27-2006, 3:05 PM
Sure. Lifting the wood, nailing, will work ok.
Use lots of glue. Squeeze the tread down.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-27-2006, 3:30 PM
Thanks Steve. Is that a thong in your avatar?

Richard Wolf
03-27-2006, 3:49 PM
I think you should practice with that technique first. The 16 ga. nail is big enough, but getting a gun into the gouge mark will be a little more difficult than you may think. Ithink I would opt to face nail and set the nails and fill with a good woodfiller. I use woodtex, it is an acotone base that dries very quickly and comes in red oak and other colors. Once finished it would be difficult to see the nail holes. Also use PL sub floor construction adhesive.

Richard

Dennis McDonaugh
03-27-2006, 4:29 PM
Richard, I looked up Woodtex on the web, but they don't have a link to their outlets. Where can I buy it?

Thanks

Richard Wolf
03-27-2006, 4:34 PM
Richard, I looked up Woodtex on the web, but they don't have a link to their outlets. Where can I buy it?

Thanks

Here's a link Dennis.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=296-007

Richard

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 6:37 PM
Thanks Steve. Is that a thong in your avatar? You're new around these parts, aren't you stranger? :p

I know you're not really, based on the number of posts you've made, but I'm guessing you've missed some of the thong and dance that's been going on here lately. I'd describe it to you, but I've put so much effort into erasing the picture from my mind, I just don't want to go back to that place ever again. :eek:

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
03-27-2006, 7:54 PM
Thanks Steve. Is that a thong in your avatar?
Yes. Not as good looking as Tyler's.:o