PDA

View Full Version : Honduran Mahogany Doll Furniture

lou sansone
03-27-2006, 9:39 AM
good morning ww's

here are a few photos of 2 pieces I recently made for my nieces, ages 8 and 10. They play with the American girl doll = 18" dolls

the cradle is made from pattern grade Honduran mahogany - all joints are mortised and tenoned

the bed is made from beautiful PA cherry that I painted because it makes a strong furniture piece.

The quilts are made by my wife and they are really the hardest part of the project

enjoy

Lou

lou sansone
03-27-2006, 9:40 AM
cradle photos

Jason Tuinstra
03-27-2006, 9:53 AM
Lou, great pieces! The bed especially looks good. Now, I'm not an expert when it comes to quilts, but that looks like some fantastic quality. Kudo's to your wife! I'm sure the girls will love these.

Charlie Kocourek
03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Nice work Lou. How did you finish the cradle? Any dye or stain?

David Fried
03-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Lou,

The beds and cradle look great but I think you're right - the quilts are amazing!!! I know how much work a full size one is and cannot imagine making one that small! Was she able to machine quilt it or did it all need to be done by hand?

Did you turn the tiny ball finials on the beds on that monster lathe using dental picks??

Again, great job - I'm sure the girls will treasure these!

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Yup...great woodworking AND quilting! (No way am I going to let the two hoodlums in my house see these pictures... ;) )